Torque wrench recommendation

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My craftsman torque wrenches are old AF. I haven’t calibrated them in years. So that’s my excuse for a replacement.

Plus I’m envious of these digital models. I haven’t done any research on the digital torque wrenches but im hoping for something that I can easily switch between NM, in lbs, and FT lbs.

The highest torque I need is 190 ft lbs. the lowest around 10 in lbs. Is there a torque wrench available that would cover that wide range or am I still stuck with two wrenches (one for lower and one for higher values)??

Another plus is something that can be calibrated.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My craftsman torque wrenches are old AF. I haven’t calibrated them in years. So that’s my excuse for a replacement.

Plus I’m envious of these digital models. I haven’t done any research on the digital torque wrenches but im hoping for something that I can easily switch between NM, in lbs, and FT lbs.

The highest torque I need is 190 ft lbs. the lowest around 10 in lbs. Is there a torque wrench available that would cover that wide range or am I still stuck with two wrenches (one for lower and one for higher values)??

I haven’t looked in awhile, but I’d guess you are probably stuck with two wrenches, the big f’ng wrench and his little sidekick..From what I understand, you really don’t want to trust a bigger wrench at its lowest setting etc for accuracy. What I have heard anyways, maybe wrong.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Gonna have to go with 2 unfortunately. I swapped exclusively to Proto about 5 years ago and have been impressed.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I haven’t looked in awhile, but I’d guess you are probably stuck with two wrenches, the big f’ng wrench and his little sidekick..From what I understand, you really don’t want to trust a bigger wrench at its lowest setting etc for accuracy. What I have heard anyways, maybe wrong.

Gonna have to go with 2 unfortunately. I swapped exclusively to Proto about 5 years ago and have been impressed.
What they said. I have one for ft lbs and on for in lbs. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have a Husky that's 50-250ft-lbs and a CDI that's in-lb. I think it goes to 220. I've had both calibrated and both were spot on. I'm looking at a Gearwrench digital for my next one. The one I'm looking at has a built in angle gauge for TTY bolts.

FWIW, I have a Craftsman that is over 40 years old and up until a couple years ago it still checked good. The only thing that killed it was some bismuth accidentally got dropped inside and locked everything up.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I inherited the father in laws. 35 years old, sent it to Snap-on and had it fixed and calibrated. While I was at it, sent in my old man's too. Got it serviced and calibrated.

Kids don't care about tools anymore, it easy to find good quality tools that they inherit, and buy them at bottom prices. Check your local for sale forum.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Honestly it's looking like I'm gonna have my old Craftsman checked and calibrated. We have company that does that for our test and shop equipment. So I may just throw my junk in to see how they do.

98 SNAKE EATER

Established Member
Have you considered a digital adapter?

I probably have a few dozen torque wrenches ranging from cheap HF to digital Snap-Off's in my main tool box, but what I tend to use the most (mainly cause I keep them in my glove box) are digital adapters from AC Delco

I've tested them against my high end digital torque wrenches and they're well within range.

Also use them to calibrate my lower end torque wrenches.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member

Get one that can do the angle measurement also.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I probably have a few dozen torque wrenches ranging from cheap HF to digital Snap-Off's in my main tool box, but what I tend to use the most (mainly cause I keep them in my glove box) are digital adapters from AC Delco

I've tested them against my high end digital torque wrenches and they're well within range.

That's a great suggestion. Thank you. I will look into that.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

i have 1/4 and 3/8 drive versions of these and they come in handy. I like the click style better but these work well too

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
i have 1/4 and 3/8 drive versions of these and they come in handy. I like the click style better but these work well too
Do they beep when they reach setpoint? Or are you watching display and stopping when you get to the value?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Do they beep when they reach setpoint? Or are you watching display and stopping when you get to the value?

they'll start beeping when they get close to the set value and a solid tone when you reach it. It'll hold the peak value on the screen as well

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
they'll start beeping when they get close to the set value and a solid tone when you reach it. It'll hold the peak value on the screen as well
Thank you. This seems like a much better solution for my needs. More compact too. For carrying in the trailer.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought Dewalt works great. No idea why I can't link the amazon page

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is new to me....how do you calibrate torque wrenches?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is new to me....how do you calibrate torque wrenches?

Depends on the wrench. Cheap ones, like my craftsman, can't be calibrated. But they can still be tested to get "relative" value. This is what I'll do. They'll give me a feel for how close my wrench is. For my purposes I have a range of torque I'm hitting on a wheel nut. Like 170-180 ft lbs. To line up a locking pin. So long as I'm close, that is good enough for me.

Good wrenches have a screw in them where you can adjust the internal spring tension to bring the wrench into spec. For traceability and QC, we track these certificates for all the torque wrenches used in production.

These new fandangled electronic ones; I have no clue. They probably have a cal setting somewhere to adjust mV output of load cell.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on the wrench. Cheap ones, like my craftsman, can't be calibrated. But they can still be tested to get "relative" value. This is what I'll do. They'll give me a feel for how close my wrench is. For my purposes I have a range of torque I'm hitting on a wheel nut. Like 170-180 ft lbs. To line up a locking pin. So long as I'm close, that is good enough for me.

Good wrenches have a screw in them where you can adjust the internal spring tension to bring the wrench into spec.

These new fandangled electronic ones; I have no clue. They probably have a cal setting somewhere to adjust read out.
Thanks . I'll have to look into this. I have a pretty old one that I've used for years.

Users who are viewing this thread