Torque Management-Please Explain

konabluekiller

Established Member
Googled and googled and never really got good info on the subject so I figured I'd start a discussion here. Ford built in torque management into the original tune on our cars. Regardless of how you have TC set (on, sport, TCoff, everything off) it will interfere in lower gears giving the car a slight hesitation, power loss when you first stomp it. It went unnoticed at first with the stock tune because I was learning the car and then tuned with 500 miles on the clock. When I added sticky NT05s is when I first noticed it at the track because the stock tires were just spinning, masking the problem. Dumping the clutch around 4000-5000, even with my foot flat down, would hesitate at 50% throttle for a second or so until it would rip, and some times even after the 1-2 shift it would too. I'm leaving the previous tuner unnamed because its unimportant but now on my current tune it really rips. Haven't really noticed it at all on the street tune, but on the drag tune(only one I've used at the track from my new AED setup) everything is off. TC, AT, and ABS and there's absolutely no lag at all at wot. Does anyone have more info on this though? Also heard the power is cut to be easier on the drivetrain and the clutch... Here is a video of my car on the previous tune. Was the best pass of the day with the least bog on the launch but its still noticeable. Notice after the clutch dump and normal bog theres a hesitation from 4000-5500 even though my foot is flat down..
This is my old tune BTW, new tunes from AED have none of this hesitation and have instant throttle.

2012 Mustang Gt in car 1/4 mile - YouTube

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
I think what the OP is experiencing is actually clutch protection strategy. When it sees RPM rising and clutch being released with limited OSS count rises, it assumes the person is slipping the clutch which he is and limits the throttle down to prevent burning it up. I dont get this at all, but i also dump the clutch at 5300+ without trying to slip it any.

Ratchet

Established Member
I think what the OP is experiencing is actually clutch protection strategy. When it sees RPM rising and clutch being released with limited OSS count rises, it assumes the person is slipping the clutch which he is and limits the throttle down to prevent burning it up. I dont get this at all, but i also dump the clutch at 5300+ without trying to slip it any.
You guys dumping on the stock clutches?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I am. I have somewhere around 30+ hard passes, all dumps. The car has seen upwards of 5500RPM dumps and have pulled the wheels up. It is holding amazingly well, but i never slip my clutch.

konabluekiller

Established Member
I do my best not to slip either. That pass from the video was on 315/35/20 nt05 nittos and not the drag radials. They were still grabbing good but I slipped a little more than normal. But you can really see it lag from 4000-5500 then hear it rip. I wish I had a video of a cpl of the really noticeable times. Felt like traction control slapped me on the hand and said NO! Lol

stang910

Established Member
Torque management is there for a few reasons. One is to make the car more driveable. Not everybody wants that raw power feel so the TM makes take offs and shifting smoother. This way the car feels controlable to everybody. It's also there so the drivetrain doesn't take hard hits like on shifts. Something else it does is hide driveline slop. That thump you sometimes hear when on and off the gas is masked with TM.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Torque management is there for a few reasons. One is to make the car more driveable. Not everybody wants that raw power feel so the TM makes take offs and shifting smoother. This way the car feels controlable to everybody. It's also there so the drivetrain doesn't take hard hits like on shifts. Something else it does is hide driveline slop. That thump you sometimes hear when on and off the gas is masked with TM.

I hate that shit.

Users who are viewing this thread