Torn between two black coupes

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Been wanting an 03 for a while now, there are two black coupes ive got to choose from. One is a complete stock 03, I mean stock as a rock. Paint isnt great, but its not molested. Satin wheels. 60k miles..

Another is a lightly modded 03, pullied, jlt, 2.76 pulley, lowered, awesome wheels, and most importantly a new set of ET streets... but the problem with this one is a really young guy owns it. Its not a problem persay, but i feel like he might push the car hard quite often. Hes had the car for 5k miles..(present from his moms bfriend. Cool ass dude giving his gfs son a car like that.) and the owner before was the one who put all the mods on, so its been modded for most of its life.

Both have 60kish miles, and both are within $1000 of each other.

On one side of the coin theres no way im getting the mods for that under for under 1000 dollars, or even double that for that matter. And if I got a stock car i wouldnt want it to stay stock anyway....

On the other side, resale value might be better for the stocker. and odds are itll last longer.

oh what to do...

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
tough call. I would go with the stocker (if it were me) and then get the car detailed, buffed, etc..

but if you are going to mod it anyway, you may want to go with the modded one. These cars can take a beating pretty good, and it would save you the money in mods!

good luck in your decision.

Tough decision indeed!

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I would go for the stocker but the rough paint would bother me. Maybe you should keep looking. You might find something a little better with less miles and good paint.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a tough call man. I was looking mainly for a stock one, so I could modify it with the parts I wanted. I personally would have a hard time buying a modded cobra from a younger guy. Who knows though he might be like me, I don't beat the crap out of my car on a regular basis, but it is nice having the extra ponies if need be.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I would get the modded one after it passed a compression and leak down test. If it doesn't pass keep looking. There will be more cars out there. Why are you limited to these two?
GL

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
The prominent reason i am so apt to grab one is they are well below market price

That may be true but are you going to spend more trying to personalize it.

I said the said thing when buying, I was looking for a deal (low price).

Well 10 grand in mods later, I finally have what I want, lol

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
The modded ones goodies are probably worn out anyway, sounds like they have been on there a while. Could've been the town whore as well, getting beat on by everyone. Get a free car, and see how you treat it.

I see ET streets, and I would head for zee hills. Feets don't fail me now!

Black is tough to live with, swirls, scratches, chips and what not, its also the most common Cobra color.

The stock car is a no-brainer, especially with 60k on it, that means it has generally led an easy life. Spend $250 and get the car professionally wet sanded, thar might appease your paint issues.

Stock Terminators are rarer than chicken teeth, go with that one!

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
which one

i say go for the stock ,but how can you prove its always been stock and not changed to stock...

than if you get the modded one you says its done right?

hard call

as to the paint... mine has chipped and flaked off all around the car so i say the paint bites to start off with

60k is also when our car started to have problem...if i do an average on mine its every 80k something big happens....head problem/rear end gears/tob

keep in mind these cars are very costly to fix//stock front and rear brake pads are like 500 bucks/fords heatexchanger is 800 bucks/foglites are 100+ for good ones/tires(just got new-880.00)

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I would go modded what I know now...these motors are strong and it's all in the tune. Bad paint on a stocker would bother the crap out of me...
Good luck

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I would get the modded one. I look at it like, If the stock ones paint is rough then they also might have skimped on maintance also.

JymBart

Established Member
Tuff choice, ....... at least they are both Black, .......... let us know which one you get.
JymBart

Tkaugh29

Established Member
I would like to voice my opinion on your young person comment haha. I am fairly young (21) and I know that my car takes alot less of a beating then alottttt of cobras on here owned by more "mature" drivers. A compression and leakdown test will give you a good idea of the cars internal condition. Dont not buy just because its a younger person.

Also I think if your gonna mod the car you should buy the modded car if its the same condition otherwise.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
JMO,
Nothing wrong with buying a car that was beat on a little. The problem lies when you get a car that was beat on by a not so smart person.
BACK TO BACK TO BACK TO BACK TO BACK runs is how many peeps from my research can damage these motors, Plus bad tunes, poor maintenance, poor planning of mods, etc...
Good luck

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just a word of caution. Unless you know the owner or can check others who know the car, there is no absolute guarantee that the car has always been bone stock. It is not uncommon for people to de-mod their Terminators before selling them, and selling the mods separate. Check it out as carefully as you can. Ask questions. Ask if the owner is a member of any Mustang forums and what his forum name is. Then check for posts, etc. that prove or disprove it being stock from day 1.

There are some good tips on my website for checking out a used Terminator. If you haven't read them, here's the link. Best of luck with your decision. Both cars have potential. ...Tips When Buying A Used Terminator

Users who are viewing this thread