• sell fox, buy termi

Votes: 76 92.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
okay got a decision to make
the options are... 87 fox with the mods in my signature, and add dart heads, comp cams, and build motor a little furthur.
or sell fox, use fox's future mod money towards a 03-04 cobra?

i just dont see if its worth modding a 20 year old car, no matter how fast u make it... atleast a 03-04 cobra is... a terminator

what would u guys do??

and a few from a local shop here swear the cobra motor blows up often (yeah i laughed too) now against a stock 5.0 motor and terminator motor... which will take more, i know both motors are great, if nto equal... but really, is the terminator motor crap? (NEVER HAD ONE)

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
I do not know about "blow up" but they are known to "seize up" on high speed pulls.

I suggest you get a Terminator.

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
seize up? damn... lack of oil??

any other things to know about termis? i know the chassis is the same as a fox, but is it any sturdier? because my fox still twists enough to have the door rub on the passenger side a little with connecters...

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yes, the Fox-4 chassis was beefed up over the Fox and won't creek as loud when you open the glove box which is one reason it's a bit porkier then your 87 (the 86 LX notch is my fav). I think the Fox-4 is about 40-50% stiffer on deflection and torsion then the earlier body but don't quote me on that.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Buy the Terminator and get with the program!!! Once you've got one, you'll kick yourself for waiting this long!!!

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
... now against a stock 5.0 motor and terminator motor... which will take more, i know both motors are great, if nto equal... (NEVER HAD ONE)

I've owned 11 5.0's, a 94 GT and my Cobra. Hands down, a STOCK 5.0 will not/can not take the abuse of the stock Terminator powerplant. I've heard of engines seizing, but from what i hear on here and other places it's normally after a prolonged high speed run, which will claim just about any stock engine, it's not a "flaw" unique to the Terminators.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Some people have their cars tuned by someone who is not knowledgeable about the vehicle or if the tune is good in the car they run it to 160 in 6th and BOOM! Then they wonder wtf happened. Make wise decisions and you won't have problems, the wise decision would be to get the Cobra imo.

There have been guys running a ton of boost off the stock motor w no problems what so ever.

And posting this thread in the terminator section will probably not get you too many people advising you to go with the fox, but maybe you did that on purpose...

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Coming from someone who did it, you won't regret it for a second. I bought my Terminator the same day I sold the fox. Hadn't really driven it, just gave it a good once over ( I know, bad idea). I sat in it for about 5 min before I started it when all the paper work was done and it was officially mine, and once I heard that engine turn over and it roar to life....I knew I made the right decision. I miss the fox, but DAMN I love this car!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
The Terminator has so much more potential than a 5.0 it's not even funny. You can do simple stuff and be running 11's easily. Now that can't be done to a 5.0 without taking a chance of it lasting for long. There are 500hp Terminators running around that have been like that and abused for over 30,000 miles.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I was in the exact same boat last year, but when I sat down and really crunched numbers to make the power I wanted and then all the supporting mods for my fox it would have been over 13 grand ( or more) not counting all the work I would have had to do. With a Terminator all you have to do is put a CAI ,pulley and tune, and they are animals.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I think we need a bit more information about your lifestyle, driving habbits and expectations of the fox. Its hard to give an opinion of one or the other if you don't have all the information to make an educated decision.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I was in the same position as you last year, I decided to keep the fox the way it was and buy the cobra. But if thats not an option I dont think you would be disappointed with getting the cobra its nice to have a reliable 500hp car with simple bolt ons.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I like how someone will make a thread and then disappear for like 3 or 4 days. We're pretty much talking to ourselves in here.:lol:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I like how someone will make a thread and then disappear for like 3 or 4 days. We're pretty much talking to ourselves in here.:lol:

HAHA! I was thinking the same thing yesterday! I wrote this right after he posted, and I came back to check, and nothing!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
but really, is the terminator motor crap?
The main issue with these motors is piston to wall clearances are a bit tight. Extended periods of excessive heat = toasted piston. You also have the head tick issue but a lot of engines never develop it. Even if you get it, a $750 head cures the problem.

Anyway it's been proven with some responsible modding/tuning/driving these engines can deliver 500-700rwhp reliably for tens of thousands of miles. Terminator motor crap... I think not. If you want a engine that screams with pretty much no driveability issues then a Term is for you.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
okay got a decision to make
the options are... 87 fox with the mods in my signature, and add dart heads, comp cams, and build motor a little furthur.
or sell fox, use fox's future mod money towards a 03-04 cobra?

i just dont see if its worth modding a 20 year old car, no matter how fast u make it... atleast a 03-04 cobra is... a terminator

what would u guys do??

and a few from a local shop here swear the cobra motor blows up often (yeah i laughed too) now against a stock 5.0 motor and terminator motor... which will take more, i know both motors are great, if nto equal... but really, is the terminator motor crap? (NEVER HAD ONE)

I see more "built motors" blow than stock terminator motors. Mine took 28 PSI with not problems and now runs at 26 PSI for well over a year, and several dozen 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile passes with no probs. The stock 5.0 can't do this.

03zycobra

Established Member
Looking over your mods for your 87 Mustang you would have to replace a lot of parts to get to the horsepower level of a mildly modified 03/04 Cobra. Stock block and heads will not get you to the horsepower level you desire unless you Supercharge it or go Turbo. World Class T5 and clutch will definately have to be changed. Typhoon intake, sorry but there garbage. 75mm mass air not big enough.etc etc. My 90 notch had a DSS shortblock, Edelbrock RPM heads, Vortech Supercharger 18lbs cog drive with a C4, MSD boost timing master, MSD 50lb injectors, Holley Systemax upper and lower intake. Pro M 85mm Mass air, Anderson Power pipe etc. and put down 550hp to the tires. All that after 40 grand just in parts. Get the Cobra and let the fun begin!

Users who are viewing this thread