Torco accelerator

palehorse

Established Member
Have any of you that run this additive reqularly have issues with the O2 sensors going bad?

I intend to run 1.6 oz per gallon. Torco says no problem running this all the time. However a GM guy, big time drag racer who's opinion I respect, said when he used it his O2 sensors would go bad after about 2,000 miles. Anyone heard of this being a problem with the Cobras?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't have an answer for you, but are you doing this to raise your octane for your tune? Don't you folks only have 91 octane premium in Utah? If so, adding 1.6 per ounce would seem to give you a net octane increase of 3 points, or 94 octane. Too bad you have to spend that much (around $12. - $13. per tank) to get 94 octane premium. Would you consider only adding a 1/2 can (16 ounces) which would get you a 2 pt. octane increase to 93 octane? 93 would be the norm in most of the country. That would at least lower your cost a bit to around $8. - $9. a tank.

Hopefully someone who actually uses it can help you with the O2 sensor question.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I have used it for about 20 tanks now, no problem but you will notice your spark plugs turn a rusty type color but doesn't affect performance.

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
I have only used it a few times but I have not experienced any issues to date

djtyau

Established Member
I have used it for about 3000 miles and no issues as of yet. Are you sure he wasn't referring to the leaded version?

palehorse

Established Member
I have been instructed that the 1.6 oz per gallon is necessary for 93 "pump" octane (whatever that means) by my tuner. I think a 5 gallon can will last me about a year or so $180 (shipped) a year is not that bad. In discussing further with my GM racer friend he suggested that perhaps it was the GM brand of O2 sensors (delphi I think) that may have not had a"liking" to the Torco (it was the unleaded version). He suggested that perhaps Ford factory O2 were made by Denso (anyone know if that is correct?) and they were much more resistent to the Torco. I have yet to have anyone with a mustang that runs this product post a complant about O2 failure. SO I am going to try it out. I appreciate any further comments on this issue.

One interesting side note, my GM friend eventually went to meth/alky/water injection to avoid detonation and having to replace his O2's every few months. He has STRONGLY encouraged me to do the same. However it appears that almost no Cobra guys are running meth/alky/water injection. Anyone venture a guess why that is?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just a heads up. If your motor is still under warranty, using Torco (or any fuel additive) will void it as far as I know. If your warranty is up then it doesn't matter of course.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Torco is pretty good stuff...and one of the best. NOS is another. But I have to disagree with your tuner. PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH! Adding the can of booster will raise your octane...and they claim 3 points. But that means 91 octane will only become 91.3 octane!! I've done the research. It will not give you 94 octane. Your best bet to raise octane is buy unleaded race gas and mix it. There is an excellent article on this by Jeff Smith in a recent issue of Car Craft that is worth reading. Also many web sites go into it in depth.

By the way, isn't premium only 89 octane in Utah (at elevation)? I know that's all we had in Idaho.

palehorse

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Torco is pretty good stuff...and one of the best. NOS is another. But I have to disagree with your tuner. PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH! Adding the can of booster will raise your octane...and they claim 3 points. But that means 91 octane will only become 91.3 octane!! I've done the research. It will not give you 94 octane. Your best bet to raise octane is buy unleaded race gas and mix it. There is an excellent article on this by Jeff Smith in a recent issue of Car Craft that is worth reading. Also many web sites go into it in depth.

By the way, isn't premium only 89 octane in Utah (at elevation)? I know that's all we had in Idaho.

All the asking I have done, tells me you are incorrect about the "91.3" figure. I have heard that mistaken information before, but I am pretty confident that it does raise octane to 93+. I'd be interested in your data. Others have posted on modular fords to have had it tested and confirmed the previously mention octane numbers. Admittedly I have not seen that data either.

We have 91 at the pump. No 93 or 94. A few places sell VP 100 octane but that is between 5.80 and 6.20 a gallon. I don't need 100 so Torco provides a much cheaper way to get to 93 octane.

Last edited:

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I find that hard to believe, some of the top tuners use torco. I've ran the dog shit out of mine, running juice in Alaska and we only have 91 octane.

03DOHC

Established Member
Torco works great. I don't buy the 3/10th's thing. It will turn your plugs and O2 sensors brown and too much can foul them.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Ok. Here's some help. With just a quick search, I found this on Prestone's website. Please be advised this is not manufacturer specific...it is industry specific. With some more searching, I can find several articles from different companies saying the same thing.

http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php#q7

Torco Accelerator on the other hand, is NOT an octane booster. It is a fuel conditioner. Big difference. They do claim big numbers....

http://www.torco.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=163

NOS makes a good octane booster. It claims 3-5 points. Again, this would make 91 Octane 91.5.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...2007&N=700+400047+4294925094+115&autoview=sku

As I mentioned earlier...just be careful what you're buying. If you're not sure, write the manufacturer and get it in writing.

Last edited:

djtyau

Established Member
Here is some data that pertains to Torco:

If you really want to read up on Torco go to the other site. A lot guys are running this stuff with some serious boost and timing.

palehorse

Established Member
djtyau said:
Here is some data that pertains to Torco:

If you really want to read up on Torco go to the other site. A lot guys are running this stuff with some serious boost and timing.

What other site are you refering to? And was that sample pure Torco or a blend with gasoline? If it was "pure" Torco, and the "pump" octane was only 96, then how does adding 1.6 oz per gallon to 91 get to 93? I wonder if that sample was a premixed amount of gas and Torco. Anyone?

WDW MKR

Established Member
It's the generic store-bought octane boosters like "Greased Lightning" that are lucky to raise anything by more than a few 1/10ths. Torco and NOS are both legitimate products.

I would question whether it is worth it to spend and extra $10-12 per fillup to run a 93oct tune and gain maybe 10-20hp. Most folks running Torco do so when needing to run 100oct+. I'm considering getting a six-pack of the 32oz cans to use only when going to the track.

palehorse

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
It's the generic store-bought octane boosters like "Greased Lightning" that are lucky to raise anything by more than a few 1/10ths. Torco and NOS are both legitimate products.

I would question whether it is worth it to spend and extra $10-12 per fillup to run a 93oct tune and gain maybe 10-20hp. Most folks running Torco do so when needing to run 100oct+. I'm considering getting a six-pack of the 32oz cans to use only when going to the track.

By my math, one 5 gallon can will treat 400 gallons of 91. Based on that I think a 5 gallon can will last me a year. $150 for 20 hp (I might get better then 20 hp according to my tuner) over the course of next year is not alot of money to me.

Users who are viewing this thread