top speed with tune (limiter disabled)

legos_mustang

Established Member
I've done 165(on speedo) in 5th gear at about 7500 with a tune and exhaust mods only. Car definitely has more than that in it.

Ah ha! That's more than factory power you see.... ; )

I threw my calculations into a simple spreadsheet. LOTS of assumptions, but it gives you an idea of how drag on the car in this region acts like an incompressible fluid and is proportional to the square of the speed of the car. So each mph requires more and more power.

Here's what I came up with... feel free to throw spears. Even with all the shortcuts I took, I'd still bet it's within 5%. Bottom line this car is going to be difficult to get over 180 without a power-adder or major aerodynamic enhancements:

Stock: 164 mph
Stock+Tune: 168 mph
CAI, O/R X-Pipe, Tune: 170 mph
CAI, Long Tube Headers, O/R X-Pipe, Tune: 173 mph

Cheers
Lego
030small.jpg

NJSP117

Established Member
I threw my calculations into a simple spreadsheet. LOTS of assumptions, but it gives you an idea of how drag on the car in this region acts like an incompressible fluid and is proportional to the square of the speed of the car. So each mph requires more and more power.

Here's what I came up with... feel free to throw spears. Even with all the shortcuts I took, I'd still bet it's within 5%. Bottom line this car is going to be difficult to get over 180 without a power-adder or major aerodynamic enhancements:

Stock: 164 mph
Stock+Tune: 168 mph
CAI, O/R X-Pipe, Tune: 170 mph
CAI, Long Tube Headers, O/R X-Pipe, Tune: 173 mph

Cheers
Lego
030small.jpg

I agree Lego...that's exactly what I was saying above. The faster you go, the harder it is to get through the air and the more power it will require to do so....as you approach 200 mph, the power required to get there goes WAY up...hence the reason that the GT500 requires 3.31 gearing and 660+ HP to get there.....
I look at it this way...if I need to go 200mph, it's gonna be in an airplane....not a Mustang...lol!! :thumbsup:

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
Lego is dead on ...there was a guy on Texas Mile with a Boss motor, no side mirrors,
tune with exhaust, hit 171 mph.

RTD

Established Member
The car comes from the factory with a 155 mph speed limiter.

If you remove the speed limiter via a tune without raising the redline, it will do 161 at redline.

If you remove both the speed limiter and the rev limiter it will go a little faster than that, maybe 170.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Be careful here, guys. The factory limiter is set at 155 largely because of the factory two-piece driveshaft--they tend to let go north of 160. I'm sure most of us saw the video of the V6 guy that removed his speed limiter and his DS let go around 125-130.

If you're planning on taking the car up past where the limiters are set, look into a one-piece driveshaft and make sure it's aligned properly.

BADBOSS

Established Member
I hit 155 and ran out of courage... Bama tune, JBA hi flow cats and exhaust. it was still climbing, slowly and my guess is maybe 160.

svteezy

Established Member
i'm thinking around 170-175 with my aed tune and 8200rpm limit...

does the car reach top speed in 5th gear?

My car reach 176 at 7900 in 5th on the dyno. I would never do that on the street, to many factors out there. I also have a vortech supercharger and it makes 656 at the rear tires. Like one guy said its a brick at those speeds. I have trap 135 on a 1/4 mile drag strip in 4th gear, so do the math. BE SAFE!!

kdanner

Banned
Guys, I ran over 160 in my GT with the stock engine, only had an off road X and my tuning, pulling a 4.30 gear even, which is less efficient. That was speed in a mile, not the terminal speed of the vehicle. The car has the same GT/CS front fascia you do, and the same GT500 rear fascia you do. So body wise I think the only difference is the grille which is insignificant. Some of you are underestimating the top speed capability. With the Boss engine, it does have headers, and I dropped to a 3.31 gear and I finish the mile in the 1.14 4th gear, that's a 3.77 final drive ratio. I have no idea what terminal speed would be, but it is certainly north of the 171.5.

Users who are viewing this thread