Top speed run.......

01Cobra896

Established Member
Well, there was a discussion a while back about the top speed of an 01 Cobra especially with 4.30 gears. I finally got a good day here in Germany to go out and have some fun. I borrowed a friends GPS and he filmed two runs with my camera. You cannot see the speed on the GPS in the vid but he calls out the speed. I also included a clip of me running an auto-x course over here. Now, here are the mods I have done to my car that will affect the speed I ran.

4.30 gears
03 Cobra flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ with the lightweight option
Naz ported lower intake
JLT CAI
Diablo cann tune, speed limiter removed
Mach 1 chin spoiler
Saleen S281 rear wing

There are a lot of other chassis and suspension mods, like coilovers and subframe connectors. Now in the vid, you will see my shift light come on. I have it set to light up at 6200rpm. Let me know what you guys think.

Cobra 'Bahn run

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Nice vid man...great run! 01 Cobra's will do the 160 on the speedo plus some!!:banana:

Now we need a top speed run with an F/I Cobra....

01Cobra896

Established Member
A few people before said that an 01 Cobra could not top out the speedo with 4.30's installed. Next year I plan on doing a repeat but I will have a lot more done to the motor. Heads/cams/exhaust, better tune, and a few other things. Thinking of stepping down to 4.10's just for the auto-x. I hit the rev limiter a few times so hoping it might help.

SSeatr

Established Member
my 99 with 4.30's the highest i got her was 150mph and she was still pulling...and this is 4.30's 3.55's should get you into the 190's

bahndrvr

Pure, Hot, Speed
Established Member
Figured I could chime in, hopefully we'll be doing my run soon, expected to see more challenges on here that's why I logged on, his car really impressed me. You should hear the tranny whine at that speed, it's freaking crazy. Fastest I've been as a passenger, but I've been over here 3+ years, and I've owned a few crotch rockets over here and my car's pretty quick. Hopefully, he'll be announcing my speed like that soon:)

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Damn skippy!

How does the car feel at that speed? I hate how cars start feeling light and squirly past 120, it's one reason I'd opt for the '00R front splitter and wing since they are actually functional pieces!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Damn skippy!

How does the car feel at that speed? I hate how cars start feeling light and squirly past 120, it's one reason I'd opt for the '00R front splitter and wing since they are actually functional pieces!

i've had mine ~160 and it didn't feel squirrelly until around 140...

01Cobra896

Established Member
I will tell you right now with the suspension/chassis mods I have done, which is not a lot really, make my car feel great at that speed. The car does not feel light at all. It feels very solid and planted to the asphalt. I do have a plan for the underside of my car that will help a bit aerodynamically. I am going to fabricate an underpan that mounts between the lower radiator support and the k-member. Essentially it will block all that area off. I am also contemplating getting a '00R splitter. Not sure if I really need it but I am getting a real good deal on one. I just wish it was stiffer, especially at the higher speeds.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I had my 03 up to about 145/150 and it felt light to me...(100% stock)

Months earlier I had my 95GT with the speedo peged out and tach still climbing and it was stuck to the road like glue, but I had tokiko shocks/struts, GW rear lower control arms, GW front A-arm pushings, springs, poly bushings all around....

01Cobra896

Established Member
mine is a driveline vibe I have been fighting with for over a year now. It does not get real bad but never have been able to completely get rid of it.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
wikedcobra312 said:
nice, you know that vibrating sound at higher speeds, what causes that and how can we eliminate that

Are you talking about that wind vibration that makes that "whump-whump-whump" (lol) sound?

I don't have that in my car (unless the windows are down at speed), but that's the only vibration sound I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread