TOP GEAR: Tests ZR1, CTS-V, Challenger

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Wow what a dumb comparison, 2009 Vette Zr1 = King of the Road. Shelby needs to take the emblems off the GT500-KR and start over from scratch

TRXboy

Established Member
I have every single episode of Top Gear, ever. This is my favorite episode they've ever done.

X2 my friend, this is one of the best episodes by far - they even commented on the sites blog spot that they feel this episode is one of the best as well.

Lankhoss

Established Member
Keep in mind that the Salt Flats are at VERY high elevation and also don't have an ideal surface for fast acceleration. I want to say the ACR only hit 172mph TOP SPEED with a lower wing setting there....I think we can all agree the car should go faster than that.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Keep in mind that the Salt Flats are at VERY high elevation and also don't have an ideal surface for fast acceleration. I want to say the ACR only hit 172mph TOP SPEED with a lower wing setting there....I think we can all agree the car should go faster than that.

Consider this, Motor Trend did a comparison a few years ago with, among other cars, the Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2. That car did around 160mph (IIRC) in one mile on a paved ROAD at low elevation. The ZR1 is an astounding car.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
When do these episodes come on tv?
We don't get Top Gear here until a year or so later than they air on BBC in the UK. The show airs in the UK on Sunday afternoons & torrents are up shortly after the episode airs.

Vids don't work anymore.

Torrent link: http://www.mininova.org/tor/1993980

According to FinalGear, the BBC was offering the Challenger up for sale after the show but took the sale as rather quickly.

Clarkson really liked the ZO6 on the track last year, he said that it was one of the best track cars you can buy, and that it was dirt cheap in comparison to the performance you get, but that once you get it off the track it's too loud, harsh, and uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
176 in the standing mile is pretty impressive for a stock car.

does anyone know what the viper or ford gt would do stock?

i have hit 175 mph on GPS in the standing mile with my bone stock Ford GT. this was not done on a race track though and was done at my local test site here in mexico. the road was perfectly dead level flat as verified by my GPS. there were absolutely no winds of anykind and the DA was 2,000 feet above sea level. so at sea level i think i could hit 177 mph in the mile which would beat the ZR1 :-D

Last edited:

Z28

Established Member
^^^Yeah the ZR1 did it on salt man...what your talking about is a totally different ball game doing it on a paved road.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
^^^Yeah the ZR1 did it on salt man...what your talking about is a totally different ball game doing it on a paved road.

Agreed,

No doubt the ZR1 would significantly beat a GT or Viper in the mile, tested same day same conditions.

GM had both cars for side by side testing against the ZR1 during development. I actually saw them.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Crap, is there any place where I can just stream the vid??? I dont want to download it.

EDIT: There is a guy uploading them onto youtube as I speak. First part is up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBs2zHQ5oy4"]YouTube - Corvette ZR1, Cadillac CTS-V & Challenger Test Drive. Part 1[/ame]

PART 2
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxu65IG1Q8&feature=channel"]YouTube - Corvette ZR1, Cadillac CTS-V & Challenger Test Drive. Part 2[/ame]

PART 3
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_L0jr-4s5M&feature=channel"]YouTube - Corvette ZR1, Cadillac CTS-V & Challenger Test Drive. Part 3[/ame]

PART 4
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqKdkTX6QeQ&feature=channel"]YouTube - Corvette ZR1, Cadillac CTS-V & Challenger Test Drive. Part 4[/ame]

Last edited:

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Ok thats all I think. Great so far, I see why everyone says this is the best so far. Part 3 will have you sitting on the edge of your seat! The cts-v and the Zr1 look so sweet!

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Are the speedtv episodes stripped down like the old Discovery Channel episodes were?

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Are the speedtv episodes stripped down like the old Discovery Channel episodes were?

Yes. To fit into an hour long program with commercials they have to cut significant portions of the show. The show on BBC runs commercial free.

Users who are viewing this thread