Took the car to Ford, quoted 1,000 for front brake work

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Anyone got any links to a how to on this one? I'd love to do it myself just really not that familiar with it...

How much are new calipers? Also, are drilled rotors worth it?

Last edited:

bzubke1

Established Member
Here's a link to some stock replacements.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M2320C 1&comp=LRS
Get yourself a haynes manual. It helped me out a ton when I did my first brake job and it's only 15 or so dollars, which is a lot better than 75+ an hour. I use the cheapest rotors that autozone sells with performance friction pads on my car. I love the pads because they hardly give off and brake dust on the front wheels.

Last edited:

03snkvert

Established Member
Maybe just ask and see if a member of the forum would be able to help you!

If I lived near you I would deff. help you out, I like working on cars and helping out a fellow Mustang owner.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
03snkvert-I wish you were closer! Bzubke-I have been meaning to get a haynes manual for the car, just have an excuse to get one now...oh and a creeper/mechanics seat! The ford guy tried saying something about the parts being obsolete or not being produced anymore which was a reason they were charging so much...sounds pretty bogus to me. I'll have to check out the regional section to see if i can get some local help...

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
OK that is possible on the caliper or even the hardware kit....trust me you have no idea how many parts for cancels for vehicles. That old rule of 7yrs the parts gotta stay around..uh huh. They stop making all kinda of parts...but with that said even if the calipers were no longer available...they could go aftermarket and they would be less that the OEM units. They are just trying to rip you off...take it somewhere else.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Yea...I think I'm gonna get a haynes and see what its like to do it myself. Or just get the parts and have a private mechanic do it.

bzubke1

Established Member
I would suggest at least trying it yourself to save yourself.. You save money and you gain a little knowledge on how your car works. Honestly when I replaced my calipers rotors and pads I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but with the haynes manual it made the whole project very easy.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
wow.. i wish i got paid that to do brake jobs... that is awful high, but cobra brake parts arent cheap either from FoMoCo, keep that in mind.. but i would have to see the written estimate to see if the tech is overpricing on the labor.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Yea...well thank the lord they found the electrical problem. I guess the ground wire had corroded somewhere in the middle where it's insulated. They replaced it and because of that the alternator went bad and since I had it fixed their last, it's still under warranty.

I'm gonna try the brakes myself, just deciding on what parts to get...seems that the consensus is that drilled rotors aren't all that great. Kind of funny, when I just got off the phone with the Ford guy he sounded all upset because they went ahead and ordered the parts and everything, and he said they might give me a deal on them, so I'll see what they say when I'm in there. I might go with the used calipers listed in the post above, but I also found these new ones...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/cobra-front-calipers-black.html

As far as rotors, these seem okay...is it worth spending 30-40 more each to get "better" ones?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...ear=1997&autoModClar=&perfCode=P&B27005_Qty=2

03snkvert

Established Member
Take your time and follow the directions in the Haynes book and you will be fine.

I think the most difficult portion of the entire job is bleeding the Brakes after you put on the new calipers.

If you get frustrated, walk away and come in and ask questions!

Corey

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
wow.. i wish i got paid that to do brake jobs... that is awful high, but cobra brake parts arent cheap either from FoMoCo, keep that in mind.. but i would have to see the written estimate to see if the tech is overpricing on the labor.

I know, if I could get that kind of money, I would quit my job, and do brake jobs in the garage. No reason to charge so much!

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
As far as rotors, these seem okay...is it worth spending 30-40 more each to get "better" ones?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...ear=1997&autoModClar=&perfCode=P&B27005_Qty=2

If you want nice set of drilled & slotted rotors go with www.stangsupension.com . Its what I have. They also have a zinc coating so they dont rust so quick. The Brembo's will rust fast, but are a good price. Also they will give you a discount if you say you are from svtperformance.com

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread