Took the car to Ford, quoted 1,000 for front brake work

mdisalvo85

Established Member
After all my electrical problems my Dad and I finally just took the car to Ford. I just talked to him and I guess they called saying the front brakes need work and it would be around a thousand bucks...I don't think there's anyway we're gonna pay 1,000 bucks for the brakes after all the issues we've been having with it lately. Anybody else think this is a bit steep?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
By brake work what do they mean? Just a brake job like pads and turn the rotors? If so, that's a F'n rip off. I can't imagine it costing over 300$ to repair.

-Mark

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
no way 1000 bucks is crazy high...take it to Midas if you can't do it...I'd imagine those are just disc brakes up front,etc...get the detailed price quote and post it up here...

crazycarlo

Established Member
I had a problem with my pats system. In the end it cost me $925. Of that $668 was labor. Moral of the story get your car away from ford and take it somewhere else. They are way, way way to high. Even iof you put slotted rotora and pads on there it shouldnt be that much.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
I'm waiting til the guy gets in who has been working on it, they said he'll be in at 3 so I should be able to fill everyone in soon.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Alright, I just got off the phone with ford and they said roughly 1,000 for the front calipers, rotors, and brake pads. Apparently something on the front brakes broke off and it caused the brakes to stay on which heated up the front right caliper and now all the rotors calipers and pads need replaced? Honestly the guy confused me a bit but I told him to hold off on the brakes and fix the battery problem, which was diagnosed as a bad ground wire which overworked the alternator. Thankfully the alternator is still under warranty so that's fixed and taken care of. What do you guys think about this brake situation? Are calipers rotors and pads something I should just try to do myself? Maybe go to another shop?

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Do the brakes yourself. Willt ake you an afternoon to do it if you just chill and take your time. I worked in a Ford dealership in parts and service for 6 years. They are ripping you off. If you want genuine ford parts buy them ad install them yourself. Or buy the parts and have a GOOD local..NON DEALERSHIP do the work. It will cost you half that.

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
Yea Ford must be very proud of their brake jobs. I just got a quote for my 05 FX4, just for pads and rotors replaced all the way around was $1100.00.:nono:

Needless to say I will be performing the work myself.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Ben on a lot of the newer trucks rotors are pretty damn expensive. Also the pads were like 100-120 retail, depending on which ones you got...OEM.Motorcraft or Super duty Motorcraft.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Rip off!!! Give Randy Stinchcomb a call at Liberty Ford of Baltimore 410-655-3188. He's a stand up guy and has been dealing with mustang guys over the internet and numerous boards for years. He'll verify the pricing. But as stated above do the work yourself.
-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread