Took the car in to get the MT82 checked out.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Whelp my car has developed an increasingly worsening grinding over the past 8 months when going between and into all gears up to 4 gear. I took my car to the dealer today and they said that the oasis report said that the trans grinding into gear was a known issue and their engineers were working on a solution also adding friction modifier to the trans was NOT a recommended fix so my trans remains untouched. I was reading this straight off of the service writers computer screen and even had him email the report to me but haven't gotten it yet. All I can hope for now is for the damn thing to fail before 36,000/36 or for their engineers to find a solution.

:nonono:

chrisheltra

Established Member
Jones Ford in Charleston Sc. Bad thing is I have known the service writer for about 4 years or so. Doubt Ill get much more help than he gave me elsewhere but I could try.

Are you doing what I think your doing?

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
powertrain is not 3-36 its 6-60

Good catch.

BTW I forgot to mention in the OP that my car has around 7300 miles on it. Never been beat on, never been down the strip and never done a burnout. Just 3 dyno pulls and 2 roll races other than that its seen average driving.

Also heres the email the service writer sent me that I mentioned in the OP:

21661 2011 MUSTANG - MT82 COLD SHIFT EFFORT
SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MT82 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT INCREASED SHIFT EFFORTS IN COLD AMBIENT TEMPERATURES. THIS IS USUALLY MOST NOTICEABLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEARS BUT MAY ALSO BE NOTICED IN 3RD THROUGH 6TH GEARS. ENGINEERING IS INVESTIGATING THIS CONCERN AND NO REPAIRS ARE RECOMMENDED AT THIS TIME. THE USE OF FRICTION MODIFIERS OR OTHER FLUID ADDITIVES IS NOT RECOMMENDED SINCE ALTHOUGH THEY MAY PROVIDE SOME IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT IN COLD SHIFT EFFORT, THEY ARE LIKELY TO RESULT IN LONG TERM DEGRADATION OF THE SYNCHRONIZERS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/20/2010

Last edited:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
I talked to my service guy the other day also and he said just wait until ford comes out with a fix. He said just drive it normal and if the transmission takes a dump bring it in, other than that wait for a fix.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I was told the same thing. I might try a different dealership and see what I can get done. Even if I can convince them to just look at it. I would feel much better know my synchros are in one piece.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
Same story here. I called my dealership just to get some documentation on file that I've had some MINOR grinding/rough shifting in the lower gears when the temperature is below freezing and this is pretty much exactly what I was told.

I'm gonna drive it like I want to, because I won't have the car more than 5 years anyways, so if the tranny goes, it goes.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
im sure they are working on a fix, its a new Tranny for ford not made buy tremec so theres gonna be bugs in it

PhantomX

Established Member
Glad to hear they are working on it. Mine has been ok so far. As for the powertrain warranty it's basically anything covered in oil, engine, trans, diff...

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
IMO, that service message is a "cop out," as another post said. They have put such messages out for other issues, only to yank the message later and never get back with anyone on a solution. Very frustrating.

AmnDucky

Established Member
2016 regardless so if you buy a brand new 2011 in 2012 you only have 4 years. At least that's my understanding. could be wrong though.

:lol1: What?!? That makes as much sense a coat rack on a moose. That is not how warranties work.

Users who are viewing this thread