Took some new pictures today!

roberthamm

Established Member
Hey guys sorry for the picture spam on my mustang but just wanted to share these pictures of my car :)

Before we get started I photoshopped the other exterior mods I still want to do: Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler and smoked tails/side markers.

Car now:
DSC07121.jpg

Photoshopped version:
DSC07121copy-1.jpg

The rest of the pictures:
DSC07130.jpg

DSC07129.jpg

DSC07128.jpg

DSC07127.jpg

DSC07126.jpg

DSC07134.jpg

DSC07133.jpg

DSC07125.jpg

DSC07124.jpg

DSC07123.jpg

DSC07122.jpg

DSC07121.jpg

DSC07120.jpg

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
What's this mean and exactly what did you cut off? I have the Eibach Sportlines but I want my front to drop a tiny bit more.
I'll chime in on this since I'm the one that did it...Basically the H&R SS springs(and many other springs) have what's called dead coils on the bottom. With the full weight of the car on the springs, these springs in particular had almost 3 full coils stacked on top of one another(dead coils) not providing any sort of spring forcing. They are essentially there to be spacers.

With that said, after installing the SS springs I always felt they sat about 1/4" too high in the front. The thickness of the front coils are 9/16", so if you were to cut an entire dead coil off you would drop the the thickness of the coil which would be 9/16". I was looking for 1/4", so .25"/.5625" gives me .44. This means cutting off 44% of a coil would give me my 1/4" drop. To get as exact as I could I measured the perimeter of an entire coil, and then calculated 44% of that perimeter and cut it at that point. If I remember right it was about 10" of perimeter, which was right under a half of a coil(which is obvious since 44% of a coil is so close to a half). The result was dead on 1/4" lower and couldn't have been more pleased.

CLIFF NOTES: Cutting a full dead coil would give a 9/16" drop, so I cut a half coil to get half the drop.

Here's a shot of it with the springs before I cut the front coil:
img0762r.jpg

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
OP, the car looks great. I think you have the first Gloss Black RTR's that I've seen..?

Those tires are begging for some shine though :)

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Nice ride Love the protocol you used for your drop it looks perfect. I see something printed on you stock shifter knob. it says "replace me with a quality shifter and knob"....lol

whatwhine

Established Member
What a sharp car man! I can't wait to drop mine.... Ive had to cut springs in the past to achieve the raked look. Yea and I noticed no oil catch can.... $100 investment to help the life of your coyote. Just a thought.

OP, the car looks great. I think you have the first Gloss Black RTR's that I've seen..?

Those tires are begging for some shine though :)

I was about to ask that also, how are these RTR's glossy black? Did you get them powder coated ?

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
I'll chime in on this since I'm the one that did it...Basically the H&R SS springs(and many other springs) have what's called dead coils on the bottom. With the full weight of the car on the springs, these springs in particular had almost 3 full coils stacked on top of one another(dead coils) not providing any sort of spring forcing. They are essentially there to be spacers.

With that said, after installing the SS springs I always felt they sat about 1/4" too high in the front. The thickness of the front coils are 9/16", so if you were to cut an entire dead coil off you would drop the the thickness of the coil which would be 9/16". I was looking for 1/4", so .25"/.5625" gives me .44. This means cutting off 44% of a coil would give me my 1/4" drop. To get as exact as I could I measured the perimeter of an entire coil, and then calculated 44% of that perimeter and cut it at that point. If I remember right it was about 10" of perimeter, which was right under a half of a coil(which is obvious since 44% of a coil is so close to a half). The result was dead on 1/4" lower and couldn't have been more pleased.

CLIFF NOTES: Cutting a full dead coil would give a 9/16" drop, so I cut a half coil to get half the drop.

Here's a shot of it with the springs before I cut the front coil:
img0762r.jpg

Rio, You're the man! Thanks soooooooooooo much for the details!:rockon: I'ma be chopping the Eibach Sportlines tomorrow. I want about a 1/4" drop myself!

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply!:beer:

Here's mine:

sig51412.jpg

so a 1/4" should give it just the right rake!

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Rio, You're the man! Thanks soooooooooooo much for the details!:rockon: I'ma be chopping the Eibach Sportlines tomorrow. I want about a 1/4" drop myself!

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply!:beer:

so a 1/4" should give it just the right rake!
No problem at all, glad I could help :beer:

And yeah I see what you're saying. I don't know if it needs the extra 1/4" like the H&R SS, but a little extra will definitely help. I'm sure it looks more profound from other angles. Post up results when you're done.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Not trying to hijack but just wanted to ask one simple question:

Should I chop a spring or not? Here is my car with 164 miles on it so the springs haven't settled

sideexhaust2.jpg

corruptor

Established Member
Not trying to hijack but just wanted to ask one simple question:

Should I chop a spring or not? Here is my car with 164 miles on it so the springs haven't settled

sideexhaust2.jpg

Your ride height looks nicely raked already. Are you going for a major raked stance? The OP's original post clearly showed the car had a level stance... I personally prefer a slightly raked stance and I think yours is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread