Took off the Fatknob and MGW handle, kept just the Tri-Ax...

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Well, first of all, my MGW handle's busted =/ I need to call them up tomorrow and get it replaced or something - it's barely two months old, and I can no longer adjust the top piece. It's *extremely* difficult to rotate or pull out or push in, and it only goes a bit each way before it gets completely stuck. :nonono:

I really like just the Tri-Ax on the lowest position with the stock knob - better than the fatknob, better than the angle the MGW provides. I like having the shifter point straight up at the end, which the Steeda handle does (and the MGW doesn't.)

Just FYI ;)

~Berj

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
i haven't had any issues w/ my mgw handle on my tri-ax, the adjustment helped me considerably w/ the 2->3 powershift - don't have to lean forward.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I haven't had any issues either. I have, though, thought about trying out the TriAx handle to see how it compares (position wise) to the MGW. I have a feeling, though, that I won't be happy with the additional reaching/stretching required.

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I sit fairly close anyway, so the reach isn't too big an issue for me. I didn't like the feeling of pulling "up" on the handle when downshifting 5 to 4 or 3 to 2 (that is, "up" on the MGW, rather than "back" on a pointing-straight-up handle.)

Has anyone else had their MGW handle stop working.... or rather, has anyone even tried to adjust it after thousands of miles of driving?

~Berj

03redfiresnake

Established Member
I like my tri-ax handle with the stock knob also, keeps the nice stock appearance, and now I don't change the radio station when shifting into third or fifth.

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
MustangDave, definitely looking to sell it - it's black, barely been used. You have a PM.

~Berj

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by Andorion
I really like just the Tri-Ax on the lowest position with the stock knob - better than the fatknob, better than the angle the MGW provides. I like having the shifter point straight up at the end, which the Steeda handle does (and the MGW doesn't.)

Just FYI ;)

~Berj

I'm with you. I run the UPR Blue Thunder shifter (almost identical to the Triax) with the handle on the lowest position....stock knob. Love it!

mosconiac

Established Member
I've had the same issue with the MGW handle.

What is happening is the set screw(s) is digging into the metal adustable rod and creating a crater of sorts. This "burr" is now coming in contact with the bore of the aluminum handle causing the rod to not move easily.

The tolerance between the rod and handle is intentionally very small to insure that the rod does not slop around in the bore during shifting.

RJCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
I've had the same issue with the MGW handle.

What is happening is the set screw(s) is digging into the metal adustable rod and creating a crater of sorts. This "burr" is now coming in contact with the bore of the aluminum handle causing the rod to not move easily.

The tolerance between the rod and handle is intentionally very small to insure that the rod does not slop around in the bore during shifting.

Same thing happened to me. I sanded the burrs with coarse sandpaper and it works fine now. You may have to do that every time you change the adjustment.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Andorion
I sit fairly close anyway, so the reach isn't too big an issue for me. I didn't like the feeling of pulling "up" on the handle when downshifting 5 to 4 or 3 to 2 (that is, "up" on the MGW, rather than "back" on a pointing-straight-up handle.)

Has anyone else had their MGW handle stop working.... or rather, has anyone even tried to adjust it after thousands of miles of driving?

~Berj
I've had mine for about 5,000 miles and I've had no issues or adjustments.

Have you seen the Hurst handle on the Roush cars? I noticed that the ball sits further back than straight up. You might like it. The handle is not round; it is flat like the old Hurst shifters.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread