Took my ‘69 Lincoln Continental to a track day

MFE

Established Member
The car’s theme is #ProperAttire, and I wasn’t driving that day, but I live less than 10 mins from the track. So I threw in a tux and headed up there. I put my helmet on and rolled up to grid just to freak out the Grid Chief . During the lunch break I did some laps so they could grab some pics and the b/w one is epic.
1637027735999.jpeg

1637027767687.jpeg

1637027806042.jpeg

1637027837347.jpeg

1637027913845.jpeg

1637027946620.jpeg

andymarkv

Established Member
Haha!!! NICE!! Full restoration? Or survivor?
Is that the last year of the suicide doors?
Does it have a 462...or did they move over to the 429/460 by then?
That sucker must weight 6000lbs!
Was the Grid Chief amused....or not so much at first?

MFE

Established Member
Haha!!! NICE!! Full restoration? Or survivor?
Is that the last year of the suicide doors?
Does it have a 462...or did they move over to the 429/460 by then?
That sucker must weight 6000lbs!
Was the Grid Chief amused....or not so much at first?
Yes 69 is the last of the suicide slabs. It’s a 460, and I bought it in February with a recent re-color and a new interior. Weighs 5000 lbs and is 19 feet long. I drove it home from Palm Springs to about a mile from my house before it died, with my son driving my Chevy SS as chase car. He thought we'd need a tow truck, I told him STFU, let me think about this, I'm driving this ****er home. I filled the carb bowl with gas by hand and had just enough juice to drive it home and up the driveway.

I had to go through the fuel system, blew unbelievable crud out of the main steel fuel line, replaced the fuel pump and all the rubber lines, replaced the sender, cleaned the tank, and changed the master cylinder which also shit the bed before I even left Palm Springs. When I got it, the only mufflers on it were 2-chamber flowmasters. I fired it up one morning and my neighbor (cool chick who digs cars) came over and said what the **** is going on? My whole bedroom is vibrating! I had a shop replace the system and add giant resonators, but they said keep the 2-chambers. They were right. It's baller.

But still, the car vibrated so much at idle that all the trim buzzed. Found out the oil pans was resting on the crossmember....broken engine mounts. I found a N.O.S. right side mount on ebay but the left side mount is impossible to find unless you send it out to some dude to have it rebuilt. I didn't want the downtime. I did some research and measuring and discovered that I could take a cheap aftermarket mount for a 430/462 and modify it to fit, by adding a plate and drilling it the right way, with a couple hours work. So I did. Had a shop install them, came out like a new car.

Got new Monroe shocks and thought better of installing them myself, so I had the same shop do the work. Like a new car all over again.

Then the A/C pump died. I really wanted to keep the R12, so I found a source for pumps and had the same shop again do that work. A/C works great, just add money! I swear that pump must take 20 HP to turn. but it does keep the car cool even when it's really hot out.

I put the wheels/tires/caps on it. It's getting paint corrected and ceramic coated next month.

ANYWAY, there I was, Grid chief laughed his ass off and because he had very fond memories of riding in one when he was a kid, I took him out for a lap too. The club director is dying for me to use it as a pace car. This thing doesn't do anything fast except drink gas and make panties wet and I love it.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Tough looking ride! The boys were watching the Matrix last night and I believe they had the 65 LC in that movie.

On a side note, it was my understanding that the boss 429 used 69 Lincoln motor mounts, as the 429/460 block is identical. Here's a NOS set on Ebay.

I know these were repo over the counter parts 10 years ago, but original Ford OEM held up better.

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
Tough looking ride! The boys were watching the Matrix last night and I believe they had the 65 LC in that movie.

On a side note, it was my understanding that the boss 429 used 69 Lincoln motor mounts, as the 429/460 block is identical. Here's a NOS set on Ebay.

I know these were repo over the counter parts 10 years ago, but original Ford OEM held up better.
Thanks, but those are a very different design and won't work on the Continental. Not even the Mark III 460 mounts from the same year will work.

MFE

Established Member
Did you push it at all?

How did the brakes do?
Just enough to feel some speed over the small elevation changes the track has, but this thing maxes out at about 0.3 g's cornering LOL. It's even worse cornering than I thought it would be. I didn't want to push the brakes, they're terriblly undersized for pushing it in a car this heavy.

ToddW702

Established Member
That’s gangster. Well done sir. Love that car. There was one down the street from me when I was growing up and I always wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RES0574

Established Member
That is beautiful, and is my dream car to own. My grandfather had one when I was in short britches, and something about the suicide doors just mesmerized me. The lines of the car, the pure class that oozes from its mere presence. It is my number one, as stupid as that sounds posting on a site such as this, but this car is connected straight to my endorphin release.

You are a lucky man.

andymarkv

Established Member
This thing doesn't do anything fast except drink gas and make panties wet and I love it.
Amen Brother!!
Can't wait to see more of it. Full-size rigs are a different kind of enjoyment!

I spent a TON of time maintaining my father in-laws fleet of late 70's Lincolns. They were cool in their own way...but don't hold a candle to the build quality & class of the 60's cars!
lincoln - Copy.png

Users who are viewing this thread