too much tension? go up one size in belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

04cobruh

Established Member
So ive been doing some searching on this matter and hear that a super tight belt is ok, and then I hear it is not due to the posibility of adding extra wear and tear on bearings.

I threw on my billetflow idlers and 2.8" metco upper.

Billetflow's website calls for the stock belt with this set up. Getting the belt on required 2 of us to put tension and to force the belt on the snub idler. Billetflow will not answer their phone or my email.

when I start my car up it seems to whine pretty loud. Im wondering if I should go from a stock (75.1") belt up to a 75.5 or 75.6" to release some of the tension on the belt. there is literally no play when you go to release tension the tensioner.

Hope that all makes sense.

2003CobraOx

Established Member
I've also heard that a super tight belt will wear down pulley bearings and put extra strain on the crank. The tensioner has markings that indicate proper tension levels.
See here for more info: http://metcomotorsports.com/proper_supercharger_belt_tensioning.asp

I also know that a smaller upper pulley can have issues with belt slippage which is why some use smaller belts to increase the tension. One fix is to use a larger upper SC pulley and a larger lower crank pulley to get the same boost#s. Everything is a trade-off :)

I suppose it can't hurt to simply try a larger belt and see if it slips...

04cobruh

Established Member
the tab indicator is pegged all the way.
Its no where near the "proper tension" point on the indicator.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A tight belt is a bad thing. It can kill idler bearings and main bearings. I ran a tight belt on my 01 with my first centri set up. It killed the front main bearing.

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
I have all Billetflow idlers and a 2.7 metco upper and the stock belt was perfect. Been that way for a year now and I daily my car.

04cobruh

Established Member
I have all Billetflow idlers and a 2.7 metco upper and the stock belt was perfect. Been that way for a year now and I daily my car.

did you have any extra play in your tensioner, or was it maxed out?

and do you guys think jumping up to a 75.5 would be beneficial? or should I go even longer?

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
when you push it down with your thumb from the top do you get some play/movement or is it really tight?

04cobruh

Established Member
Here are two pics of the tensioner. It barley moves when I take the tension off of it.
27798F14-4A9E-44E8-B346-32924B369C31_zpsibdxtnxl.jpg

F9959485-8FAC-4988-8B12-51BCB4D7A040_zpspldd6t2e.jpg

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
You need a bigger belt for sure. Try the next size up. If its too small go even bigger. I use the 30 dollar gates belt from oriellys. No slip and no noise.

04cobruh

Established Member
I figured. I'm going to get the 75.5" and see how that goes. At the very least it will suffice for a couple days while I get my car dyno tuned on the 22nd. It's not my DD so it's not going to get many miles on it

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, when your putting on the belt are you taking auxiliary idler off, putting belt on, leave breaker bar on tensioner, then slide idler back on? If not do so, you can thank me later.

04cobruh

Established Member
Yes sir! In fact that's the only way that belt would've even got installed.
Thank tou though:)

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
You sure the belt is routed correctly? I had a billetflow 2.76 and the 4 piece idler set and my stock length belt was not that tight.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I have a 2.8 with idler set, I use a 75" 5/8, tensioner right in the middle, I'm not trying to ruined my bearings or snub

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Why would this matter?

This makes it much easier to put the belt on by 100%. Many people struggle getting belts on and need another set of hands, even when it's not a very tight belt. I've done it this way by myself for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread