Today turned out better than expected!

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
After getting home from work at 2am last night and waking up with the wife at 6am I was feeling a bit tired and run down. With a lot of things on my "to do list" the day was not one I was really excited about but I got up early and started getting things done. Around 11am I decided to clean up the Mach 1 as it had been sitting the past two weeks and had collected some dust and a few bugs from the 2am trip home from work last night.

I had the Mach looking all pretty and remembered it was about due for an oil change. Normally I always change my own oil but with so many other things to do today I decided I would take it to the local Ford dealer and let them take care of her.

Upon pulling into the service lane I hear "Woah! Would you look at that! Nice looking car you've got there!" I smiled and said thank you but this guy wanted to chat a bit so I sat there and chatted with him about the car, going over the modifcations and all the fun stuff. I realized he was wearing a Ford polo and asked if he was a dealer employee to which he responded he was the GM of the dealer. We sat and talked for a few more minutes when he said "Do you have a second? The owner would love to see a Mach this clean, do you care if I page him back here?" I was pretty flattered and said that would be no problem at all. About 5 minutes later the owner came strolling to the service dept.

The owner was as excited about the car as the GM was and I couldn't help but think these guys were just being nice and looking for future bussiness which was fine with me, it's always nice to have friends/connections at dealerships. After looking over the exterior for a few, the owner asked if he could hop inside and when he did he fired it up and just smiled, the off-road x-pipe into manga packs sure did sound good in the shop :rockon:. Then he saw the car had 28,030 miles on it and was pretty shocked, he got out and looked at the GM and said "Think we should make an offer to this fella?" I was a bit thrown off and looked at them like :dw:. Sure enough they both thought it would be a great car to have on the lot to draw customers in espically with the summer heat kicking up. They asked me if I would even be interested in selling it and I told them everything was for sale for the right price and I would surely entertain them making me an offer.

After taking the car for a ride with the GM, he kept saying "man this thing is gonna be worth a ton!" The entire time I kept thinking this guy was on crack and just trying to get my hopes up, I am well aware what the car booked for and what a dealer should be offering for it so I just kept my :dw: face on.

After getting back to the dealer they informed me that the car had been in an accident shortly after being bought in 2004 :??:. This was certainly news to me. They provided me with a carfax that sure enough showed an accident with "Severe passenger side damage". I never ran a carfax before buying because I was an idiot, simple as that. They looked the car over again and called over their body shop guys to look at it and every single person said it was hands down the best body work they have ever seen, they could only find one paint line in the truck jam. I felt like an idiot for not knowing about the accident but there was nothing I could do so I just went a long with it. And even though it had been hit before at least I knew now and I knew it was fixed well.

So at this point I was hoping they would offer me around my payoff wich was 12,300.00 give or take a few. I would have actually been really happy about getting that from a dealer but knowing how they work I was seriously expecting something around 10-11k because dealers have to make a buck and the car had been hit before.

The GM went to get the owner and they came out and offered me $16,000 for the Mach!! At this point I nearly shit in my own pants and had to try my best not to bust into :dancenana: mode. Needless to say I jumped on the offer and the Mach is no longer in my garage. They sent in the pay off on the loan and I get to pick up a check first thing in the morning for the amount they owe me. I am beyond thrilled at this point because I purchased the car less than year ago from a member on the forum here with 10,000 fewer miles for less than what they just paid me.:rockon:.

Today certainly ended up MUCH better than I expected. I am not sure what vehicle the wife and I will get to replace the Mach at this point. I have a DD and so does she so another vehicle is not needed at the moment. And having no car payments will be pretty nice for a bit. Not to mention a bit less on the insurance bill each month.

She will be missed but not too much :-D
307764_10150313851538130_784488129_7747062_1622958407_n.jpg

Last edited:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Wow! I certainly wasn't expecting anything close to 16k from a dealer, but good for you. Even with the low mileage, I still think it's gonna be tough for them to make any money off of that deal, but whatever. It worked out well for you. I've already been lowballed like crazy from dealers.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
customers giving it to the dealership, that never happens. Great job OP, car must have been in amazing condition.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Wow! I certainly wasn't expecting anything close to 16k from a dealer, but good for you. Even with the low mileage, I still think it's gonna be tough for them to make any money off of that deal, but whatever. It worked out well for you. I've already been lowballed like crazy from dealers.

I was literally blown away. I thought they were just being nice and I was just fine with that. Then they brought out their offer and I was shocked. I am still waiting for them to call and say "JUST KIDDING! Come get your car!" But I just drove past the dealer on my way to the store and it's already sitting out front on their lot :banana:. I am really scared to see what they ask for it, I bet they list it for low 20-21k which is a absurd.

customers giving it to the dealership, that never happens. Great job OP, car must have been in amazing condition.

It was quite an awesome feeling. The car was nearly flawless, there was only one very very small rock chip on the lower front fasica and I am pretty sure I am the only person who will ever know it was there. I put up a pic in the first post for good measure.

Sweet deal! Good thing you took it in for that oil change!!!

No joke! My wife was hounding me too when I sent her am email saying I was going to drop it off at the dealer. She emailed me back saying "Why are you letting them do the oil change?" She knows I really like doing maintance to my own vehicles. This was certainly a right place at the right time kind of deal.

Machs are awesome, not many in m area. I'm sure they would draw customers in if there was one sitting out front.

I know of 1 other Mach in my town and it has been on stands in a garage for the last year or two. The owner is actually on the forums here too. So seeing a mach out on the streets here isn't very common at all.

Last edited:

10splaya22

Established Member
Machs are awesome, not many in m area. I'm sure they would draw customers in if there was one sitting out front.

This is probably why they bought it, they could probably draw a decent amount of customers in and break even on the sale. So its a Win/Win for everyone. Congrats for getting so much OP!

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
This is probably why they bought it, they could probably draw a decent amount of customers in and break even on the sale. So its a Win/Win for everyone. Congrats for getting so much OP!

I am thinking the same, my town has a lot of younger folks into the car scene and I know younger guys will be heading in to look at it pretty often. With highschool/college graduations this week and the next few, I wouldn't be surprised to see someones parents pick it up for them.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
16k with salvage title, or just blemish on car fax? Either way I'm shocked they gave you that much, may have a customer in mind for the car. Good for you, now what to buy? Hmmmmmm..

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
16k with salvage title, or just blemish on car fax? Either way I'm shocked they gave you that much, may have a customer in mind for the car. Good for you, now what to buy? Hmmmmmm..

It wasn't a salvage title. The carfax/autocheck showed a major impact with "severe damage" that's all it said. The title itself is clean.

As for what's next I have no idea, I am sure the wife has some things in mind but I can usually talk her out of vehicle choices :-D. Id love to pick up a built evo but the misses isn't a big fan of them. I like them because they are an all around good purchase, either of us can DD it, it's awd, fun to drive, has a back seat, and they are priced pretty well. But we shall see, I'd like to wait a month or so and go drive a lot of vehicles to see what fits the both of us best.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You got a really great deal. On the dealer side, they shouldn't have to do much of anything before selling it. I don't think they'll lose money on this deal. One way or another, they came out a winner, too. My wife just traded in her 2009 Hyundai Azera on a 2012 Azera, and she got about $2K more than we expected. The car, though, was filthy and was in bad need of detailing. We were at the dealership for warranty service and she took a test drive in the new Azera. She loved it and they made an offer. We, as well, weren't planning on selling at that point. But the deal was too good to pass up. You're happy with your deal. My wife is happy with hers. :)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It wasn't a salvage title. The carfax/autocheck showed a major impact with "severe damage" that's all it said. The title itself is clean.

As for what's next I have no idea, I am sure the wife has some things in mind but I can usually talk her out of vehicle choices :-D. Id love to pick up a built evo but the misses isn't a big fan of them. I like them because they are an all around good purchase, either of us can DD it, it's awd, fun to drive, has a back seat, and they are priced pretty well. But we shall see, I'd like to wait a month or so and go drive a lot of vehicles to see what fits the both of us best.
2013 Focus ST time

Users who are viewing this thread