TOB update - Found problem, Ford's screwing me! Please read.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Drove down to Florida to have my brother (ASE certified tech), and his buddy (ASE certified master tech and former Viper tech) to fix my TOB problem. Bought new SPEC clutch kit (TOB, pilot bearing, stage 2 clutch and Pressure plate), had my flywheel turned. They took 35 minutes to get the tranny out (those crooks in NC charged me 4 hours!). Found the problem 10 minutes after that. All the crap Ford TOB's have worn a spot on my TOB retainer (metal tube sticking out from the tranny nose). Tried getting a new TOB retainer from EVERYWHERE (even aftermarket Tremec dealers). As some of you know, Tremec has a deal with Ford and will not sell 03 specific parts to anyone. This is no joke. I couldn't get the part. The asshole dealership in NC (Earl Tindol Ford) put a flag on my VIN as well stating "All powertrain repairs to be examined by SVT rep before service is rendered". So, Ford won't sell me the $50 part to fix my tranny, all they will sell me is a new tranny for $3,000. They will most likely void my warranty when I take it in, even though three ASE certified techs have told me that there is NO WAY an increase in HP over stock can kill a TOB. Someone, please give me some advise, I haven't been this angry in a long, long time. I will most likely let this thing go back to Ford credit if they do not replace my TOB retainer under warranty. I WILL NOT pay 3K for a $50 part! :cuss: This is such BS, no one should be allowed to sell you a car that they don't have parts to repair.

Oh, and anyone who wants to pull out the "pay to play" crap, get off it. I have already paid $1,300 to diagnose and attempt to repair something that Ford techs should have seen and fixed back when it was stock, were they not so damn incompetent. Besides, I TRIED to pay to play, I bought the new stuff to fix the problem, paid for the install, and so on, BUT I CAN'T PAY TO PLAY WHEN THEY WON'T SELL THE PART!!!!!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
That is no good. :nonono:

What's Ford's reasoning for not selling the part?

This may be overkill, but could you trade your transmission to one of the Tremec aftermarket companies who I assume could fix and resell it? Then purchase one of the better [Viper?] transmissions? This might be cheaper than a new trans. and you would get a better one in return. Still a lot more than $50 I'm sure, but less than $3,000.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
That is no good. :nonono:

What's Ford's reasoning for not selling the part?

This may be overkill, but could you trade your transmission to one of the Tremec aftermarket companies who I assume could fix and resell it? Then purchase one of the better [Viper?] transmissions? This might be cheaper than a new trans. and you would get a better one in return. Still a lot more than $50 I'm sure, but less than $3,000.

Yea, I've been thinking about that. I hope that is not the route I have to take, but we shall see. As for the reasoning, I have no idea, other than Ford techs don't work on the trannys. They send them back to Tremec and get you a new (reman) unit.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Not having seen one yet, although I expect to do so soon, I venture this suggestion.
Pull the old one out and have it repaired. The low spot could be filled and then machined down to specs. They are not that critical with respect to the outside ID, and could be done by many machine shops.
Hell, if it was me, I'd try it myself with some metal epoxy. As long as the entire sleeve is still intact and just worn down, it's worth a try. And replace the TOB with the non-metalic collar type, if available, to prevent a repeat.
There is relatively very little stress on the tube. It is basically a guide for the TOB.
Good luck,
Dana
BTW, you might also try contactig Liberty Gears in Michigan, I think.

sapper

Established Member
I thought that federal law required car companies to offer parts for vehicles they sell for 20 years. At least that is what I had been told may years ago.
What about getting the part at a junk yard. There must be some 03's around the country that a junk yard could find and send you the part.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Not having seen one yet, although I expect to do so soon, I venture this suggestion.
Pull the old one out and have it repaired. The low spot could be filled and then machined down to specs. They are not that critical with respect to the outside ID, and could be done by many machine shops.
Hell, if it was me, I'd try it myself with some metal epoxy. As long as the entire sleeve is still intact and just worn down, it's worth a try. And replace the TOB with the non-metalic collar type, if available, to prevent a repeat.
There is relatively very little stress on the tube. It is basically a guide for the TOB.
Good luck,
Dana
BTW, you might also try contactig Liberty Gears in Michigan, I think.

Thanks Dana. This is one of two things that was suggested to me. Elmer (the former viper tech) suggested having it milled and then filled, but that is going to be fairly expensive, and there is a chance it won't go back in correctly (it doesn't bolt, it presses, and we don't have/can't get the seals). My brother wants to mill it down just a tad to get rid of the bad spot, he thinks that should fix it. With the SPEC TOB being composite, I don't think it will eat into it again, but I am concerned that the moment I do this "fix", if it doesn't fix it or it goes bad again, I am REALLY screwed, as they will say I modified it. :shrug: :cuss:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by sapper
I thought that federal law required car companies to offer parts for vehicles they sell for 20 years. At least that is what I had been told may years ago.
What about getting the part at a junk yard. There must be some 03's around the country that a junk yard could find and send you the part.

I'm sure there are, but I have no idea how I would search the thousands of JY's in the country for a single, specific part. :shrug:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Wasnt there a member on this board that had his T-56 internals all upgraded to better specs?

Damn Brian....sorry for the troubles bro.

Man FORD is just going to SCREW themselves out of future business i think if they keep this up. :nono:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Wasnt there a member on this board that had his T-56 internals all upgraded to better specs?

Damn Brian....sorry for the troubles bro.

Man FORD is just going to SCREW themselves out of future business i think if they keep this up. :nono:

Thanks Poisonous :( As fo right now, I doubt I will ever buy another Ford product. I don't care if they make a 8,000,000 HP car and sell it for $25. I have NEVER had this much BS to wade through for something so simple. With my C5, Chevy didn't even ASK what happened to it, they just fixed it, no questions. Hell, I even blew it up (MY FAULT) by getting pissed off because it wouldn't start, and got flustered and mixed up the jumper cables. Blew the battery, half of the electrical system, and like 3 computers. Told the dealer what happened, he said don't worry about it and took care of me. THAT is the level of service I expect from a big 3 auto maker. Not this bullshit. I tell you one thing, if they do screw me out of 3K for a new tranny, I will become the most VOICIFEROUS anti-Ford person they ever imagined. I will write letters to EVERY mag, contact the BBB, hit the news papers and TV, start anti-Ford websites, you name it. I will not be screwed and just smile about it.

Sorry for the rant. I love this car, but this BS that Ford is pulling has GOT to stop.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Sorry for the rant. I love this car, but this BS that Ford is pulling has GOT to stop.

Why should u be sorry, u didnt do any thing wrong.

I think u said it just right.
What they are doing is not right at all & BTW we are the CUSTOMER, not no FORDS managers step child that they dont want...Because that's the message they are putting out.

To be honest my ticks pretty load, but im worried about going to the dealer, because of the mods i have. The message from FORD is pretty load & clear but its also looked at in other ways. :nonono:

They dont want my futuer biz....oh well im going to live but i love the mustangs / Cobra's toooo freaking much :shrug:

Id voice it out to the public for sure if they make u pay.

stang99

It is amazing that Ford and Tremec would design a throw away $3000 tranny. It is also notable that all other $3000 Tremec of very similar design can be repaired and serviced. I can understand Ford swapping out entire trannys instead of repairing them, but, I can not understand the prohibition on Tremec selling repair parts for the tranny. It is insane to discard your tranny for want of a simple part which the mfg has available.
Maybe you should start your campaign with the media now.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
It is amazing that Ford and Tremec would design a throw away $3000 tranny. It is also notable that all other $3000 Tremec of very similar design can be repaired and serviced. I can understand Ford swapping out entire trannys instead of repairing them, but, I can not understand the prohibition on Tremec selling repair parts for the tranny. It is insane to discard your tranny for want of a simple part which the mfg has available.
Maybe you should start your campaign with the media now.

You've got a point Tetge. I think I will let my bro mill it tomorrow, and call Tremec direct. See what they tell me. If it turns out that the milling doesn't fix it and/or Tremec gives me a line of crap, I will probably go ahead and send the letters. The BBB, TV, and print will have to wait until they actually void the warranty, because until they do that, there has not been any real "wrongdoing" on thier part (I'd REALLY hate to see what a Ford Libel suit looks like).

mlrny01

Established Member
:idea: Just a thought.......Can another "non labled" 03 owner order it for you>?>? Furthermore, can just a Joe Schmo John Doe order the part that lives in another City&State??? if so call me tomorrow on the cell, I'll check VM's regulaly, or just shoot an email to my home or work account .......who knows, just a thought anyway, no guarantee's of the quality or product of thought process this late at night.. :shrug:

FORD :burn:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by mlrny01
:idea: Just a thought.......Can another "non labled" 03 owner order it for you>?>? Furthermore, can just a Joe Schmo John Doe order the part that lives in another City&State??? if so call me tomorrow on the cell, I'll check VM's regulaly, or just shoot an email to my home or work account .......who knows, just a thought anyway, no guarantee's of the quality or product of thought process this late at night.. :shrug:

FORD :burn:

Hey man. Nah, they won't sell it to anyone, they don't care who in the hell you are. The dealer svc manager at one of the local Ford dealerships said he can't sell it, but he CAN get it for warranty work. Unfortunately, with that flag on my VIN, he can't get it for me without me brining it in for the warranty nazi, err, I mean "SVT representative" :rollseyes

mlrny01

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Hey man. Nah, they won't sell it to anyone, they don't care who in the hell you are. The dealer svc manager at one of the local Ford dealerships said he can't sell it, but he CAN get it for warranty work. Unfortunately, with that flag on my VIN, he can't get it for me without me brining it in for the warranty nazi, err, I mean "SVT representative" :rollseyes
can he order it on an open ticket and just leave it on a "shelf" somewhere by accident like on purpose, and say you come by and just "happen" to "see" it and say mmmmnnnn that's interesting.....leave a C note in it's place kinda thing???

Users who are viewing this thread