TOB going out??

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
When i press my clutch its making a noise and goes away when i let the clutch out.I noticed a slight noise a while back but it has gotten really bad.If it is the TOB should i not drive it untill i get it fixed,What happens when it goes totally out? Whats a good replacement TOB?? The car has a spec 3clutch, not sure what TOB is in it.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
If it's the tob the sound will go away when you press in the clutch... frpp tob is the only way to go, I believe Spec gives you a different one, well at leas they were in the past. you can pull the cover plate off the bell housing and see if it's riding on the p/p fingers.

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
Maybe its not my TOB becouse it only makes noise when the clutch is on the floor. What do you mean by the pressure plate on the fingers? Does any ones car make noise when the clutch is engaged?

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Maybe its not my TOB becouse it only makes noise when the clutch is on the floor. What do you mean by the pressure plate on the fingers? Does any ones car make noise when the clutch is engaged?

Mine does. It is a slight clacking type sound with no rhythm to it. It only occurs when the clutch is pressed in regardless of the gear.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
My guess it will only get worse/louder. My Ford Racing HD TOB started chirping after 2 days and like 30 miles on my car after it got a Spec 3+. I completed the breakin, and around 1000 miles got a new Ford Racing HD TOB put it. All is well, I guess it was a dud.
My advice is to pull the inspection cover off and see if the TOB is making the noise. Have the car on some ramps when you are doing this, or a lift preferably. Do you have a clutch adjuster or triple hook?

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
My guess it will only get worse/louder. My Ford Racing HD TOB started chirping after 2 days and like 30 miles on my car after it got a Spec 3+. I completed the breakin, and around 1000 miles got a new Ford Racing HD TOB put it. All is well, I guess it was a dud.
My advice is to pull the inspection cover off and see if the TOB is making the noise. Have the car on some ramps when you are doing this, or a lift preferably. Do you have a clutch adjuster or triple hook?
My car still has the stock quadrant,I have a UPR but still havent installed as of yet.My concern is that the car is making the noise only when the clutch is pressed.TOB noise wouls only be when the clutch is depressed.Correct? Im going to get the car up on some ramps soon.

MustangThief

Established Member
If it's the tob the sound will go away when you press in the clutch... frpp tob is the only way to go, I believe Spec gives you a different one, well at leas they were in the past. you can pull the cover plate off the bell housing and see if it's riding on the p/p fingers.

I think this is correct...

Mine is starting to go I believe. Last year I started hearing a "chirping" sound but if I even REST my foot on the clutch it goes away. Take foot off clutch and you can hear the constant chirping again.

It hasn't gotten any louder/worse so I figured I'll just replace the TOB when I do a clutch...

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Mine does. It is a slight clacking type sound with no rhythm to it. It only occurs when the clutch is pressed in regardless of the gear.

It doesn't sound like it is the TOB on mine. There is no noise when the clutch is released in any gear at any time. What would cause a clacking type sound that only occurs when the clutch is pressed?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have driven this car to total tob failure on two occasions

basically what happens is that you can still get it into gear (although difficult), and it screams like the banshees of hell

then when you get it home and open the inspection cover you can watch as the ball bearings scatter all over your garage floor

best of luck with it!

jfsram

Established Member
.My concern is that the car is making the noise only when the clutch is pressed.TOB noise wouls only be when the clutch is depressed.Correct? Im going to get the car up on some ramps soon.

The throwout bearing noise can be a number of scenarios.

There may not be enough preload and the bearing is just grazing the pressure plate fingers. This one is easy to recognize because the slightest pedal pressure would shut it up.

Next the bearing is going so preloaded or completely loaded. Worn bearing making noise. I would trust this one too long. Unless you have a pile of miles and you are willing to sacrifice your pressure plate. The day it stops turning it will squeel like a mofo as you force it into a spinning pressure plate. If the car has miles on it. You can just wait for this to happen, it may be years, because in that case you will open it and replace both anyways.

It may be something else like the disc or pressure plate. When the pedal is up, everything is clamped together and quiet. Push the pedal, the disc is released and whatever is loose is moving around, making noise.

Either live with it or wait until it breaks, it will be easy to figure out then.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
My car still has the stock quadrant,I have a UPR but still havent installed as of yet.My concern is that the car is making the noise only when the clutch is pressed.TOB noise wouls only be when the clutch is depressed.Correct? Im going to get the car up on some ramps soon.

What did you find on yours if you got a chance to look at it?

xfrosty63x

Established Member
The past couple of times that I have driven it, I have noticed that the noise has gone away after my 15-minute trip from work to home. I am guessing something is warming up and causing the noise to stop. But it is always there the next time I crank the car up. Any ideas now?

Users who are viewing this thread