TOB failed! Time to replace the clutch!

FL Steve

Established Member
TOB finally went out today while driving home from work. I picked the car up back in November and I've been expecting this to happen. TOB has been squeeling about a month after I purchased it.

The car currently has a spec 3 clutch with fidanza flywheel. I'm not a fan of this clutch since it is such a heavy clutch and its not ideal (in my opinion) for a street car putting down high 400's to the wheels. I'm replacing with a Centerforce clutch and ram billet aluminum flywheel but I'm having second thoughts about putting this aluminum flywheel on. What are some of the issues I could run into with this flywheel on my street car?

FL Steve

Established Member
Ok cool! Now...I have new ARP hardware for the flywheel but don't have new hardware for the clutch. I just plan on chasing the threads and reinstalling them with some thread locker. Will I have any issues with these bolts if they are not brand new?

93VORTECH

Established Member
Ok cool! Now...I have new ARP hardware for the flywheel but don't have new hardware for the clutch. I just plan on chasing the threads and reinstalling them with some thread locker. Will I have any issues with these bolts if they are not brand new?

No you won't have any issues.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
You're right that such a heavy clutch is not ideal for a street car... So why would you put a centerforce in, unless its a DYAD?

FL Steve

Established Member
It's not a DYAD. I picked my clutch up in a trade and when I did my research through center force their website states it's a street clutch that will not sacrifice pedal effort or driver control. So I just assumed clutch engagement with this clutch would be softer and more street able than the spec 3. Which is very heavy! Unless you know from experience that my clutch DF800075 is just as heavy as a spec 3?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Well, in my experience, any conventional single-disc diaphragm clutch will have too high of a pedal effort for regular street driving. That goes for the stock clutch in a terminator too, but especially for any high performance aftermarket piece, which will almost always require a firewall adjuster. Of course, they all advertise light pedal effort, but it does not translate to the real world, esp as the miles are racked up. A twin-disc, on the other hand, truly allows for an effortless pedal, and that is exactly what you want for street driving. Plus it can also handle the power with longevity. Of course, like most "good stuff", the downside is cost. I have two daily-driven terminators, one with 118k and the other with 43k, and have been through many clutches. But once I went twin-disc, it was like a night-day difference, and I will never go back. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend.

FL Steve

Established Member
I really appreciate your input and advise and I would definitely put it to good use and go with a twin disc. Unfortunately I do not have the money at this time to go with a twin disc. Later on down the road I will definitely remember this and do it right the second time for me third time for the car. One more question. While I have the transmission out and replacing the clutch should I go ahead and do the head cooling mod? My car has 124k miles and a part of me says no it's gone this long without any head issues but then again it's easy access to do it. Is it worth it?

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
McLeod or DYAD FTW. Its like having a hydraulic clutch! The soft pedal effort alone plus the high capacity holding power is awesome. Just remember cheap is never really cheap! Yes, do the head cooling mod. I did mine but tapped into the upper freeze plug way before I ever thought of doing the clutch.

centerforce

Established Member
Hey Steve, if you have our Dual-Friction clutch, it will be great for your power levels, and driving on the street. We have heard from a few customers who switched from the Spec 3 and reported that the Dual-Friction has a significantly softer pedal feel. Let us know how it works for you!

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
As much as I dislike my promotion clutch, I'm not looking forward in doing my first clutch. I have a dyad waiting to go in! I'm actually getting excited about seeing what these twin disks are all about.

FL Steve

Established Member
Hey Steve, if you have our Dual-Friction clutch, it will be great for your power levels, and driving on the street. We have heard from a few customers who switched from the Spec 3 and reported that the Dual-Friction has a significantly softer pedal feel. Let us know how it works for you!

Yes I have the Dual Friction clutch. It is a significant improvement over the Spec 3 I removed. Still breaking in the clutch and the car feels so much better in traffic now. I love it! Thank you!

centerforce

Established Member
Yes I have the Dual Friction clutch. It is a significant improvement over the Spec 3 I removed. Still breaking in the clutch and the car feels so much better in traffic now. I love it! Thank you!

Great! Were glad to hear that its an improvement for you. After about 500 normal street miles, it will be all broken in and ready to go!

As much as I dislike my promotion clutch, I'm not looking forward in doing my first clutch. I have a dyad waiting to go in! I'm actually getting excited about seeing what these twin disks are all about.

Most people that go dual swear by them. You should find that your new DYAD system has a very soft pedal feel-sometimes even softer than stock!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread