TOB and Clutch time

bomrrman84

Established Member
TOB is starting to sqeal......i see this as a common problem on the 03-04 cobras...mines an 04 with about 63xxx miles on it so, looks like its that time. im thinking FRPP TOB but not sure what clutch i want, previous owner bought a stedda adj clutch quad, dont know if it was installed. also, i hear the stock clutch can be adjusted. shifter feels a bit notchy too. any one care to share experiences with shortshifter as well? i plan on modding the car, bought magnaflow c/b and kn short ram after reading an article (MM&FF i think did it) not installed car is still bone stock right now. ive owned foxes for a while just trying to get better aquainted with the cobra. any thoughts?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
there are a few options/choices for the clutch. i personally have, and recommend ProMotion Performance. they make a great clutch, that is very affordable. if you are going to replace the TOB, you might as well do the clutch too.

as far as the shifter/tranny feeling "notchy" that is just part of owning a t-56 tranny. there is a thread, here in the terminator/driveline section of these forums, titled - "want smoother shifts?? try this!!" ...this mod helps a lot with the notchiness of the t-56.

for shifters, there are a few options....however, most usually go with MGW, or steeda tri-ax. both are great shifters, and you cant really go wrong with either one.

finally, if you think the car is fast now...just wait until you do a pulley swap, and tune. this adds close to another 100 horses on top of what you already currently have. turns the car into a whoooole new animal. i was pleasantly shocked at the difference it made in hp/tq.

10sec89

Established Member
Welcome to SVT Performance!
I will agree with MoKo on the Promotion clutch. I just completed my install tonight and got 3 miles on it. I am floored with how nice and smooth it is.
I have 63K on my Cobra and no matter what I hated the stock clutch. I installed a Steeda Tri-ax shifter, the "smoother shift washer trick"(that did help) and a aftermarket quadrant. Car still had a horribly stiff clutch and couldn't be speed shifted. After the new promotion throw out bearing, Lethal bearing sleeve and Promotion Clutch I am eager to get to driving the car again, it was a night and day difference.

hotcobra03

Established Member
i left my cobra stock,,i would say depends on driving habits...i just turn 319k on stock clutch...i have done the tob more that a half dozen times..

if you do it yourself it is fairly easy...i do

bomrrman84

Established Member
thanks for the input guys. im not familiar with ProMotion products but definitely interested. i know of spec and was thinking maybe a spec 3 or 4 clutch, not sure how that compares to the competition that you guys mentioned. i was looking at lethal perfomances bearing retainer and a ford racing HD TOB, both available from lethal. im also looking at a 26 spline input shaft, just to be safe. ive seen that a 10 spline will start to stress at about 500 hp from the posts on this site. previous owner bought a steeda adjustable cable, quadrant and firewall kit that was included with the car but not installed when i bought the car

Users who are viewing this thread