to those wit shelbys making 550 to 600 rwhp

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
OP is the prime example of why his parent's should have chosen the abortion option.

I wouldn't go that far................but I would hope that the OP would learn, or gain the desire to learn, instead of being pissed at others and 5 years from now still responding like an English illiterate (a nobody in this world).

R

Last edited:

svtsupersnake

Banned
Wow you all took a little question way too far, it's kinda sad. Sorry for the crappy grammar? It's the Internet and a forum not a damn research paper. But ok forget I asked the question jesus.

VegasMichael

Established Member
So since the zl1 is out and apparently makes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds thats basically the same as the z06 that does it in 3.8. The zr1 does it in 3.4 and i am guessing the new mustang which did it in 4.1 will now do it in like 3.8 give the extra 100 hp and suspension upgrades. So I am wondering to those of u making 550 to 650 rwhp wat are ur 0 to 60 times cuz now wit this zl1 and new mustang i am getting one or the other come summer and i love mustangs but it may just be too expensive and i just want a nice car so by that time and i rather have a zl1 over a 2012 shelby now that the 13 is out. So i am wondering wat ur cars do wit the upgraded hp cuz if i did end up getting a zl1 i would tune the supercharger to 650 hp to be the same as the mustang.

This post is why George Bush started the No Child Left Behind program.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Wow you all took a little question way too far, it's kinda sad. Sorry for the crappy grammar? It's the Internet and a forum not a damn research paper.

Yep, that is exactly what we were all saying about the "crappy grammer", "it's kinda sad"......................:poke:

But you did do well in your reply above. :thumbsup:

I was able to read your reply above one time and knew exactly what you were saying, first time. Your first post................ I had to read, re-read, and re-read again just to figure out where "possibly" one question/sentence began and another thought or statement ended. It was quite hard to read and understand, even on the internet.

R

Last edited:

TexasShelby

Established Member
SVTsuper - there will always be two sides to the questions you've asked. I was a 100% GM guy until 1988, from then on it's been Ford (ok, I still own a '66 Chevy pickup). I waited on a list for 2 years for my (one of the first) GT500 verts. I got that car in 2006, 2 years and 13000 miles I had to have the clutch, entire assembly and tranny changed.
By your post, you've had bad experiences with Ford, it could not be further from the truth for me and hundreds of GT500 owners that have been around since they first came out. Ford collected data from failures and came up with a fix, that fix didn't work, so they expanded it. When their fix didn't fix my clutch problem, they didn't bat an eye about an entire new tranny, clutch and flywheel. $11k, cha ching....all warranty. Whether or not it's a Ford dealership or GM. A car of this caliber, you have to forge a friendship with your dealerships Sr Service Mgr, if you don't, you're not doing yourself any justice. My dealer isn't even a Ford dealership any longer, but they won't hesitate to make a 200 mile round trip to pick up my GT500 and trailer it if needed. So when you use loose terms like crappy service, I can see why it sparks some passion in, of all forums, this one. And you might consider, some of the members that own the cars actually work for Ford, so you are kind of like pissing in their water trough.
If you think the ZL1 or ZR1 or anything else GM offers doesn't have it's problems, your are sadly wrong. The last I looked, the ZL1 is not cheaper than a GT500. Don't look at the paper (same with 0-60 times), look at what they are actually selling for. The GT500 is not having any ADMs tacked on. That ended in 07. You will be hard pressed to find a ZL1 for just sticker, much less discounted.
No disrespect but you've sparked passions with your posts, and while I don't actually agree with some of the replies, I do understand. You are on a Ford performance site, you will never come out in a debate trashing a Ford. It's like, never trash a Texan to a Texan, you won't like the outcome.
As far as the comments on your grammer, easy come, easy go. I would just download a spell checker for your browser. CNET has them. Or perhaps your accessing this with a phone. Doesn't really matter to me.
Hope the decision you make on the car you buy is one you are happy with and if you do buy a Camaro or ZL1 that you have good luck with it and that their service people are a tenth as good as the the people that hand built my engine here in the USA and the people that built the car, painted it, that sold it, that service it and please don't be dissapointed when they walk past it, like the rest of the ZR1s and ZL1s to look at a Shelby. You can't argue with history and time and time again, that's what happens on the street.
Good shopping

P.S. Your assesment of a GTR is a bit off. Again, don't look at the paper. And I have a standing offer for any ZR1, 1/4 mile 1 mile 10 mile, road track, I'll race them for $10,000, the first one across the finish line with their 3 best friends in the car wins! Oh that's right, vette owners don't have three friends. ;-)

Last edited:

svtsupersnake

Banned
SVTsuper - there will always be two sides to the questions you've asked. I was a 100% GM guy until 1988, from then on it's been Ford (ok, I still own a '66 Chevy pickup). I waited on a list for 2 years for my (one of the first) GT500 verts. I got that car in 2006, 2 years and 13000 miles I had to have the clutch, entire assembly and tranny changed.
By your post, you've had bad experiences with Ford, it could not be further from the truth for me and hundreds of GT500 owners that have been around since they first came out. Ford collected data from failures and came up with a fix, that fix didn't work, so they expanded it. When their fix didn't fix my clutch problem, they didn't bat an eye about an entire new tranny, clutch and flywheel. $11k, cha ching....all warranty. Whether or not it's a Ford dealership or GM. A car of this caliber, you have to forge a friendship with your dealerships Sr Service Mgr, if you don't, you're not doing yourself any justice. My dealer isn't even a Ford dealership any longer, but they won't hesitate to make a 200 mile round trip to pick up my GT500 and trailer it if needed. So when you use loose terms like crappy service, I can see why it sparks some passion in, of all forums, this one. And you might consider, some of the members that own the cars actually work for Ford, so you are kind of like pissing in their water trough.
If you think the ZL1 or ZR1 or anything else GM offers doesn't have it's problems, your are sadly wrong. The last I looked, the ZL1 is not cheaper than a GT500. Don't look at the paper (same with 0-60 times), look at what they are actually selling for. The GT500 is not having any ADMs tacked on. That ended in 07. You will be hard pressed to find a ZL1 for just sticker, much less discounted.
No disrespect but you've sparked passions with your posts, and while I don't actually agree with some of the replies, I do understand. You are on a Ford performance site, you will never come out in a debate trashing a Ford. It's like, never trash a Texan to a Texan, you won't like the outcome.
As far as the comments on your grammer, easy come, easy go. I would just download a spell checker for your browser. CNET has them. Or perhaps your accessing this with a phone. Doesn't really matter to me.
Hope the decision you make on the car you buy is one you are happy with and if you do buy a Camaro or ZL1 that you have good luck with it and that their service people are a tenth as good as the the people that hand built my engine here in the USA and the people that built the car, painted it, that sold it, that service it and please don't be dissapointed when they walk past it, like the rest of the ZR1s and ZL1s to look at a Shelby. You can't argue with history and time and time again, that's what happens on the street.
Good shopping

P.S. Your assesment of a GTR is a bit off. Again, don't look at the paper. And I have a standing offer for any ZR1, 1/4 mile 1 mile 10 mile, road track, I'll race them for $10,000, the first one across the finish line with their 3 best friends in the car wins! Oh that's right, vette owners don't have three friends. ;-)

ok let me make something clear then i guess i didnt before. When i say which car is better, I mean starting at stock. A gtr will beat a corvette, shelby, zl1, and zr1 stock for stock any day. Obviously if I modded a shelby or zl1 or w/e to have like 700 or 800 hp then yea sure it will beat a gtr (plus it doesnt hurt if a good driver is sitting behind the wheel). But the gtr is just a better quality car. There is a reason the gtr is 90k and the shelbys are 55k. 2nd I am not by any standard trashing ford cars. Like I said in my post I love cobras and shelbys. Also there is no dealer around me that sells above msrp for any of their cars. Whether I buy them when they come out or the last day they sell them before they get the new models. While I have had shit service from ford it is only one ford in my own experience. Hence why I go to another ford 30 miles away from my house which gives me good service. And I am not the only one on this forum who complains about ford's service. there is that thread about the 1-2 shift problem which has tons of people bashing on fords service with that tranny issue. There is no justification what so ever for a 55k car to have stupid issues like that in which the dealer is unable to fix. And again the zl1 will be cheaper than the shelby you can count on that. Mostly everything is already included in the zl1 and the extra options cost maybe an extra 1000. With ford if you want all the options it adds about another 10k to the car. I want the better car stock vs stock. If the only difference when more information on these cars come out which is that their hp or suspensions are different then I rather pick the car with the better suspension. Adding extra hp is very easy to do. Obviously the shelby will be faster than the zl1. But what i wonder is will it still be faster when the zl1 is also at 650 hp. That would be the true test of which car is better overall. Though I may not care and get the shelby anyway because I think it looks much nicer plus its a mustang and I never liked camero until now this zl1 came out. Again my intention is not to offend anyone.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
If I had 60k to spend I would get a used GTR. Maintance is expensive tho!!!
If you want a new car buy the 2013 gt500. The motor is proven to hold tons of power and take a beating.

Back in 09 I was debating on camaro or gt500. The camaro had just hit dealerships. I asked the same questions as you on here and got laughed at pretty much. But thats what i get for asking on a Ford site.
I finally was able to sit in one and my decision was easy. You have so many blind spots in that car and the dash is so odd looking. Not to mention no navigation option, made it almost look dated to me.

svtsupersnake

Banned
I don't have 60k to spend otherwise I woul get a used gtr. I plan on getting these cars used with hardly any miles on them to avoid paying the mark up plus I have a trade in. But yea the thing I hate about the zl1 is no navigation. The beyond baffles me to make a car without a navigation

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I don't have 60k to spend otherwise I woul get a used gtr. I plan on getting these cars used with hardly any miles on them to avoid paying the mark up plus I have a trade in. But yea the thing I hate about the zl1 is no navigation. The beyond baffles me to make a car without a navigation

Look around GTRs can be found cheaper. Find some one with a lease that is about to turn it back in. Find out the buy out and get it cheap. Buddy of mine did this and got a 09 for 42 or 44k. Looked around for a year but waited for right deal. He also traded in current vehicle towards the GTR.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Do the used GTR's that we are now discussing perform like the current "magazine GTR" that we were comparing? I thought we have discussed the specs on the older GTR's when they were "current" and the performance was good.........but not at the new GTR level?

If this is the case, we need to dig out specs from the older GTR for numbers comparision, before ZL1 Camaro's, 2009 - before Camaro's, in the time period when it was GT500 against the top performance optioned Corvette.

I thought the older GTR's seemed heavy, had issues with the AWD, etc.

Personally, I like the 2009 ZR1, it performed Great, it Looks Great............I like it! What do they cost now/used?

R

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Do the used GTR's that we are now discussing perform like the current "magazine GTR" that we were comparing? I thought we have discussed the specs on the older GTR's when they were "current" and the performance was good.........but not at the new GTR level?

If this is the case, we need to dig out specs from the older GTR for numbers comparision, before ZR1's, before ZL1 Camaro's, 2009 - before Camaro's, in the time period when it was GT500 against the top performance optioned Corvette, the Z06.

I thought the older GTR's seemed heavy, had issues with the AWD, etc.

R

The gtr came with 480hp stock. Ran 1/4 mile in like 11.3-11.6 I think. Depending on driver and air temps. New gtr is like 540 I think.
They had issues with transmissions blowing do to launch control being set to high 4500 rpm. Nissan issues something similar to a tsb and had owners bring cars into get reprogrammed to launch at 3000 rpm.
If you didn't and launched car and transmission blew wasn't covered under warranty. They car has basically a blackbox storing all the info about the car for Nissan to download just incase.
Yes they are heavy. Siimilar to the gt500. But with the awd made it a beast off the line.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The gtr came with 480hp stock. Ran 1/4 mile in like 11.3-11.6 I think. Depending on driver and air temps. New gtr is like 540 I think.
They had issues with transmissions blowing do to launch control being set to high 4500 rpm. Nissan issues something similar to a tsb and had owners bring cars into get reprogrammed to launch at 3000 rpm.
If you didn't and launched car and transmission blew wasn't covered under warranty. They car has basically a blackbox storing all the info about the car for Nissan to download just incase.
Yes they are heavy. Siimilar to the gt500. But with the awd made it a beast off the line.

Traction, Traction, Traction. Yes that is the beauty of AWD. If only the AWD didn't add weight. Mid-Low 11's, Nice!

So after traction was achieved, like from a roll, how did the 500 horse (at that time) GT500 do against the 480 horse GTR? and on that same type of test, how does the current 550 horse pull against the 540 (or so) horse GTR, again, once traction is achieved by both cars?

Is it "off the line" that the GTR shines? and after that they are pretty much equal in pulling performance?

R

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Traction, Traction, Traction. Yes that is the beauty of AWD. If only the AWD didn't add weight. Mid-Low 11's, Nice!

So after traction was achieved, like from a roll, how did the 500 horse (at that time) GT500 do against the 480 horse GTR? and on that same type of test, how does the current 550 horse pull against the 540 (or so) horse GTR, again, once traction is achieved by both cars?

Is it "off the line" that the GTR shines? and after that they are pretty much equal in pulling performance?

R

I couldn't tell you how the gtr does against a gt500 once they both get going or in a roll race. I've only been in a gtr for a short test ride. I was impressed with the launch, cornering and braking. I'm hoping this Wednesday he gets time to go to local track and we can run against each other just to see what happens.
You really can't compare the gtr to the gt500 fairly tho because of price difference new. Plus the cost of maintance and parts is crazy on the gtr.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I couldn't tell you how the gtr does against a gt500 once they both get going or in a roll race. I've only been in a gtr for a short test ride. I was impressed with the launch, cornering and braking. I'm hoping this Wednesday he gets time to go to local track and we can run against each other just to see what happens.
You really can't compare the gtr to the gt500 fairly tho because of price difference new. Plus the cost of maintance and parts is crazy on the gtr.

I especially agree with your last statement, no, other than the raw numbers they are not comparable cars, same way with bringing a Corvette into the mix, three totally different cars...........

I wonder what the "build-up" cost comparision would be, power gain to $$$ output between the GTR and GT500? and then what would the longevity be between these two cars as the power levels go up?

It's great to have a bunch of power, it sucks to be in the shop every other week and spending a fortune on repairs.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread