To nitrous, or not to nitrous...

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
I am considering a nitrous set up for the cobra. I would like some feedback from the veteran owners on the subject. Any advice on set up, brands, wet vs dry, etc.

My current set up is MMR built motor and 2.3 Whipple. I have done about everything at this point without just going bigger on everything. I don't want to run a time bomb but a little extra punch would be nice.

Any advice would be appreciated. Assume i am completely ignorant on the nitrous subject (since i am).

gt347mustang

Established Member
You'll be happier on a 2.9 Whipple.

That being said if you're set on running nitrous inject the fuel and nitrous directly into the runners using something like this
mustangblower5 (1).jpg

That way you're not spraying through the blower/intercooler.

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
Depending on the price i will end up setting on my current set up and start a new build. I thought about going TVS. Just looking into options. Thanks for the feedback though!

jony51999

Established Member
Depending on the price i will end up setting on my current set up and start a new build. I thought about going TVS. Just looking into options. Thanks for the feedback though!

I've not ran the hose on my cobra setup but back in the day that's all I ran was nitrous...on everything. They called me Johnny Nitrous at the speed shop and track I raced lol.

I would think the ideal setup for a cobra would be a dry kit (injecting only NOS not NOS and fuel) as you would get the huge benefit of the super cooling effect for your intake charge.

You then need to increase fuel via the injectors to add the extra fuel. This used to be accomplished by either spraying the Nitrous in front of the MAF, which made the computer think the car was in a cold start situation so extra fuel was added. The other method was using the NOS line pressure to a diaphragm valve which then connected to the fuel pressure regulator. Similar to how the boost line puts pressure on the regulator and increases the pressure to the injectors, this increasing fuel flow. The newest technology I believe is similar to the boost a pump and increases voltage to pumps to increase pressure and fuel delivery.

I would personally look into the dry kit options and you'll probably find you can get bigger numbers from a smaller jet due to the increase in charge density from the cooling of the Nitrous.

Colder plugs, tighter gap and reduced timing when spraying (depending on jet size) are some of the other considerations. I'd guess you could have the car tuned with a NOS specific tune and using a 4 bank chip, have the Nitrous circuit activate the nos tune bank (reducing timing and or A/F changes etc) then once NOS circuit power is off it goes to the non Nitrous tune. Not sure of the feasibility of that idea though as it would likely involve a 3/4-full throttle activation and therefore switching of tune at that throttle level.

The other option would of course be having the separate tune but simply use the knob to change to the Nitrous tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4stang6

Established Member
I used a 75 wet shot on my Eaton/CAI/Pulley
Was at 454/516 Blower only
564/658 on a 75 shot.......
Nozzle was attached BEFORE the throttle body, and would of done a 100 if it wasn't for being on stock injectors at the time.
But got a bigger blower now, So I'll be selling my whole nitrous setup.
Beauty of my kit is you can run it as Dry or Wet, Pick your poison :)
Message me if your interested in buying the whole kit, Its a hell of a steal for everything I have....
I'll be posting it up this weekend!

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I will eventually be doing the 2.9, but for this season, I'm going the nitrous route. In order to do the 2.9 route I need bigger pumps and injectors, with nitrous I don't. Tomorrow I should have the wiring done, just waiting on some weatherpack connectors. A 100 wet shot is going on it, yes, pulling from the stock rail. I did dry post MAF on my last car and it worked quite well, but I am trying the wet this time around.

81B759F1-7DA2-48EF-B391-5C70361E519E_zpskjqtkhs3.gif

Last edited:

Rambro

Established Member
Going to fly with a 100 shot. 2.3 and nitrous should be killer on the street too. The big blowers just get too hot.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
That direct port/ spray bar picture looks familiar....
View attachment 98001
View attachment 98002
I run a wet kit, all nitrous outlet. With a nos mini progressive. I'm the opposite of jony, I like wet kits. I didn't have to change my stock fuel system besides a bap. But I also run a standalone fuel system, this lets me spray c16 on the wet side of the kit. However the problem with nitrous at the moment is the national shortage. I don't think I will even spray my car this year because i refuse to pay $350 to have a mother bottle filled

Last edited:

bubblehead93

Established Member
You mind sharing a few pictures and details on your solenoid setup. I had Nitrous Outlet put together a spray bar lower that I'm getting ready to install and there does not seem to be a lot of room there. Changing jets looks like it will be a real pain, not that I plan on changing them often, want to set it up for 100 shot and then play with that for a season to get some nitrous experience...

In any event, a couple pictures would be great.... thanks ahead of time...

r/
Andy

IMG_20160402_140040343_zpscrnv0jvg.jpg

A7ECC779-A182-4687-A5F3-54DDD599AA28_zpswho2r54w.jpg

I run a wet kit, all nitrous outlet. With a nos mini progressive. I'm the opposite of jony, I like wet kits. I didn't have to change my stock fuel system besides a bap. But I also run a standalone fuel system, this lets me spray c16 on the wet side of the kit. However the problem with nitrous at the moment is the national shortage. I don't think I will even spray my car this year because i refuse to pay $350 to have a mother bottle filled

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I cannot change my jets without pulling the intake off. I've had it off a couple times because I was useing the progressive wrong.
Any questions feel free.
IMG_20160402_164710270_zpshczsqdax.jpg

IMG_16181_zpsjom6vypq.jpg

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
thanks for the quick response... which solenoids are you using,,, 0.122 nitrous and 0.310 fuel?

r/
Andy
I'm pretty sure it's a .122 nitrous and .177 fuel. .52 nitrous jets .23 fuels! Br7 plugs, pulled 8 degrees of timing but could add some back

elcobrita

Established Member

A7ECC779-A182-4687-A5F3-54DDD599AA28_zpswho2r54w.jpg

What kind of numbers did you guys see with those spray bars?

Users who are viewing this thread