To join the army or not to join?

Machx2

Established Member
Well I have been wanting to join for a while now, and I went on the antional guard website and see the new "active first" thing. Looks like a good little deal. With the sign on bonus ect. I guess what I'm asking is for Active duty people in the army or any branch for that matter is it worth doing and do you like it. I was thinking of chooseing MP as my mos. Bad idea? Everyones 2 cents welcome. And how true is this bonus and when do you get it. I meet with the recruiter tomorrow and can find out details but not all recruiters are truthfull. Thanks in advance

Machx2

Established Member
Also what should I expect in boot camp, aside from the yelling in my face and tons of running ect.

roushcobra2003

Established Member
Try taking the asvab first. This test determines what you can, and cannot do. If you score high enough, maybe you try looking into the Air Force. It's a night and day difference.

As far as boot camp, it shouldn't be that bad for the Army. Its just a mental game. I say 80% mental, 20% physical.

Good Luck.

Machx2

Established Member
Try taking the asvab first. This test determines what you can, and cannot do. If you score high enough, maybe you try looking into the Air Force. It's a night and day difference.

As far as boot camp, it shouldn't be that bad for the Army. Its just a mental game. I say 80% mental, 20% physical.

Good Luck.

Can i just say, walk in and take the asvap? Or do I need a recruiter. Also I took the asvap like 4 years ago. Would I have to take it again?

roushcobra2003

Established Member
Can i just say, walk in and take the asvap? Or do I need a recruiter. Also I took the asvap like 4 years ago. Would I have to take it again?

I'm not sure on the rulings on that. Just get one of those big asvab prep books and take it after you study hardcore. Just walk in the recruiters and ask for the asvab. I'm sure you can take a practice one at the recruiters to see where you stand.

Enjoy:beer:

G:342

Just here for the ride.
Established Member
Recruiter. If you took it then you shouldn't have to take it again, but don't quote me on that.
Like said, Go infantry and don't look back. That's what I was doing.

dooberGN

Established Member
All depends on what you want from the military. I plan on joining in the coming year and am hoping to get Infantry with an option 40 (ranger). Gonna train my ass off for a year then join up.

tbizzle

Established Member

you have to take the ASVAB at your local MEPS station. so you have to have some paperwork already started with the recruiters, and then they take you down there. however, you can take a practice test at your local recruiter office

and no, you have to retake it. your ASVAB scores are only good for 2 years

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
you have to take the ASVAB at your local MEPS station. so you have to have some paperwork already started with the recruiters, and then they take you down there. however, you can take a practice test at your local recruiter office

and no, you have to retake it. your ASVAB scores are only good for 2 years

+1 good info, thats exactly how it works too.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
go army, go airborne, i had fun active duty, i was stationed in vicenza italy, only bad thing is its almost like every other year deployments, right now its 15months, after the election im sure it will go back down to 1 year, everyone else does 3-6 month deployments. up to you, i had fun!! all depends where you get stationed i guess! recruiters LIE, basic training is different for everyone, hang back do what your told, dotn make yourself stand out too much, theres always goign to be asses that hake it harder, lock up your lockers everytime your not around it! make sure you can run 2 miles in something like 16 mins as far as i can remember! if you want to know more specifics, let me know

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

what was the score you received on it when you took it the first time? ASVAB scores are only good for 2 years from the day you took them..

Also, with the internet, you can see if a recruiter is lying to you.. the site that I tell my potential applicants to go to is www.about.com and look up navy jobs. (in your case, try army jobs)

Sapperstang

Established Member
i was a 21B combat engineer, i worked with explosives, land mines, building and constructing (stuff)

Same here minus any construction. I was pretty much always in airborne units and we worked with our infantry companies all the time and didn't do any stinking construction. There are actual MOS's that do that stuff.

Make sure to go active. Don't half ass it and join the guard.

Boostedcobra99

Established Member
join the air force trust me hot chow cold a/c in your bunk, and not having to worrie about getting your ass blown into 300 pieces, Not to mention the bad ass equipment i played with everyday

Users who are viewing this thread