To go offroad or not?

JumaadJ

Established Member
It's about 30 mins of labor the say for me was $65 but typically would run you about 90. I would avoid a performance shop because they will overcharge you, a very reputable performance shop whom I won't name quoted me $145, just saying.

Last edited:

Bryanh24

Established Member
It's about 30 mins of labor the say for me was $65 but typically would run you about 90. I would avoid a performance shop because they will overcharge you, a very reputable performance shop whom I won't name quoted me $145, just saying.

Alright. You think it's easy enough to do in the garage with ramps?

helloWorld

Established Member
I run E85 with no cats. It is by every sense an improvement over running pump gasoline with no cats.

The best way to describe the smell is, imagine a very sweet smelling alcohol.

+1 on pump gasoline with no cats getting all over your clothes. I have had people at work ask me why I smell like a car repair shop lol. Now with the E85, the smell doesn't linger on clothes.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I run E85 with no cats. It is by every sense an improvement over running pump gasoline with no cats.

The best way to describe the smell is, imagine a very sweet smelling alcohol.

+1 on pump gasoline with no cats getting all over your clothes. I have had people at work ask me why I smell like a car repair shop lol. Now with the E85, the smell doesn't linger on clothes.

This. And I have to actually stop walking, concentrate really hard, and try to smell the exhaust with E85/No cats. Premium gasoline smelled much worse.

Last edited:

fordman2012

Established Member
The only time I ever smell anything is when I have my windows down stopped at a stop light, other then that everything is good! The install is very easy something you can do yourself there is one bolt you will need to get from the top and then the rest can be done with the car up on a lift. took me and my buddy about 30-45 minutes to do with a beer in hand.
20150918_222000_zps9wxzkrre.jpg

20150918_222004_zpss9dbrmqr.jpg

20150918_222012_zpskom1of7w.jpg

basspro302

Established Member
You won't smell like exhaust lol. There was a time when cars didn't come with cats from the factory!!! It wasn't an issue then and it's not one now. Premium fuel up here smells good in my cat less car. E85 smells kinda weird but not bad. E85 and no cats make a little more whp so I'll take it.

No one has ever said you smell like gas too me.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Maybe more so with dumps or turn downs under the car. With tail pipes out the back shouldn't really be.

Bryanh24

Established Member
So some people are saying they do smell like gas and some don't. Still wondering on what to do. What do you guys think about high flow cats? Would those make a difference in power and sound? Mostly sound though, I know it wont do too much for power from what I read. Thanks.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
I DD my car and have UPR Off-road X "$249.99 for Stainless Steel"
You do smell the gas but it is not that bad and after awhile you don't even notice it because you will get used to it
I'm in the Army and it never gets on my uniform, some clothes it may get on a little but I never had anyone tell me I smell like gas, Plus the performance gains out weighs the smell by a long shot !
I'll never go back to those Cats
I run 93 Octane Tune, It smells the same as a 4-stroke ATV or Dirtbike if you ever rode them
JUST GO OFF-ROAD ! You won't regret it

Last edited:

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The gains between no cats and high-flow units are very minimal, plus they will quiet down things down so you can run a more aggressive exhaust and/or long tubes without ears bleeding.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
My car last low end torque while not in boost when the cats came off. Even after steeping down to the 82 mm pulley, when the cars not in boost there is a noticeable loss in torque below 3000 RPMS which is where I do most of my driving. Also, I had to give up my Awesome Roush mufflers for the Gt500 which don't sound half as good the Rosuh. If I weren't going E85, I'd likely be ditching the h pipe and going back to the stock cat system. These cars need back pressure.

Last edited:

bceeezy

Established Member
I have a daily driver with an off-road h and was worried about the same thing. With the windows down at a stoplight, you'll catch whiffs of the exhaust smell, but it's really not that bad at all. I've also never had anybody mention that I smell like exhaust fumes at all.

Holovacko

Established Member
I have off road, with dumps before the axle and don't smell anything. When I 1st switched, I thought it had a slight rich smell to it, but within a couple days, it stopped.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Been running catless on mustangs and lightnings for the past 17 years. Smell gas at times, sure. Smelled it on my clothes? Maybe if I accidentally got it on me at the pumps. Other than that, no. My 14 is catless, X pipe and E85. Zero issues.

9TMAREEE

Established Member
You are gonna smell it for sure especially if you have a more open exhaust set like I do. Mine is not nessiarily a DD but I drive it 3-4 times a week and I can tell you you'll definitely notice it and smell it. But tbh its not all that bad. But If the smell bothers you any you might not like living with it day to day. My recommendation would be if you do go catless and dislike the smell, get a set of gt500 axlebacks with should catch some of the unwanted fumes rather than a more open exhaust setup.

Bryanh24

Established Member
You are gonna smell it for sure especially if you have a more open exhaust set like I do. Mine is not nessiarily a DD but I drive it 3-4 times a week and I can tell you you'll definitely notice it and smell it. But tbh its not all that bad. But If the smell bothers you any you might not like living with it day to day. My recommendation would be if you do go catless and dislike the smell, get a set of gt500 axlebacks with should catch some of the unwanted fumes rather than a more open exhaust setup.

Very true. As a matter of fact I just purchased some gt500's yesterday. I'll see how the sound is with the h pipe and cats first. Then I'll go from there

KP_510

Established Member
What about when you guys go past the cops? I've already gotten an exhaust ticket thankfully I had cats but I don't want that issue again

Dig Race

Established Member
What about when you guys go past the cops? I've already gotten an exhaust ticket thankfully I had cats but I don't want that issue again

Where do you live? Where I'm at in Virginia they could care less Bc I'm not a Honda lol I ran a turbo foxbody open down pipe right past cops and never even got a look

9TMAREEE

Established Member
KP_510, whats your exhaust setup? I have probably one of the loudest 5.0s or cars for that matter in my area and have never once gotten a ticket for my exhaust being too loud, even passing cops

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread