To go offroad or not?

Bryanh24

Established Member
Alright, in my defense I have only found a couple of threads on this that didn't really give me the answer I wanted. So I have a 14' GT and it is my DD. Is anyone running and O/R setup on their daily driver? If so, is the smell bothersome at all? Do you smell like gas when you are done driving it? I like to have the windows down a lot and I'm worried that I might stink everytime I'm done driving the car. I heard a gt with an o/r x and gt500 axlebacks and sounded killer. Now I kind of want to go that route. Just need some opinions on the O/R idea for a DD. If no O/R, are High flow cats any good on these cars? I think I heard that stock cats are already pretty good, but just making sure. Let me know what you guys think and recommend on what I should do! Thanks.

mustanginky

Established Member
my .02c every mustang i've ridden in, owned, or drive, if they have an o/r midpipe you smell like exhaust. i'm going to swap my mac mid pipe for a bassani x pipe with cats here soon to rid my car of the smell.

Bryanh24

Established Member
my .02c every mustang i've ridden in, owned, or drive, if they have an o/r midpipe you smell like exhaust. i'm going to swap my mac mid pipe for a bassani x pipe with cats here soon to rid my car of the smell.

Damn, are you going to use the stock cats with the Bassani or high flow cats?

Riptide

Established Member
Not getting it. How are you going to smell like exhaust?

Cats or not. Exhaust isn't supposed to be entering the cabin. At least not in any regularity and in any meaningful quantity.

FWIW I have an offroad H and while I smell the exhaust on occasion I've never had anyone tell me I smell of it, been aware of the smell on my clothes myself, or thought the car in any way reeked. I've smelled cars with cats that had nasty rotten egg sulphur exhaust stench that was way worse than anything I've smelled just because of no cats on a mustang.

svtmassa

Established Member
I was in the same dilemna... I DD mine and am going with the offroad H to get the sound I want and the performance gain wont hurt either

Bryanh24

Established Member
Not getting it. How are you going to smell like exhaust?

Cats or not. Exhaust isn't supposed to be entering the cabin. At least not in any regularity and in any meaningful quantity.

FWIW I have an offroad H and while I smell the exhaust on occasion I've never had anyone tell me I smell of it, been aware of the smell on my clothes myself, or thought the car in any way reeked. I've smelled cars with cats that had nasty rotten egg sulphur exhaust stench that was way worse than anything I've smelled just because of no cats on a mustang.

True, but for some reason no cats just stick on clothes, from what I've heard. But not sure.

Bryanh24

Established Member
I was in the same dilemna... I DD mine and am going with the offroad H to get the sound I want and the performance gain wont hurt either

Oh ok, great! Have you installed it yet or are you waiting to order it? I mean if I dont like the smell, I can always put the cats back on, no biggie. I'll think about it some more and see what happens. Really want that extra sound though :)

Riptide

Established Member
Dude you live in FL.

You don't know anyone with an offroad exhaust who could take you for a 20 minute drive with the windows down and let you see for yourself if you're worried?

Bryanh24

Established Member
Dude you live in FL.

You don't know anyone with an offroad exhaust who could take you for a 20 minute drive with the windows down and let you see for yourself if you're worried?

Well... actually, my dad's is catless. So I know how it smells. Me personally, I don't mind the smell at all. Now his is not a DD. But I wanted some input from people who do DD their car with no cats. That's the main reason why I asked.

PC03GT

Established Member
Drive with the windows down, I drive it all the time unless it's raining. The only time you smell exhaust is if you're behind it while it's running, but that is with any car.

JumaadJ

Established Member
I just did a UPR Off-Road x-pipe, and VMP tune to add to my gt500 axle back last week. My biggest concern was also the smell because I read a thread on here about a guy saying he couldn't stand it. My car is also a DD and I can tell you now he was being dramatic. The smell is noticeable yea, but it's nothing over the top, and the performance increase totally outweighs the smell, not to mention the sound.

Let's just put it like this, if the smell was even worse than it is now and I had a chance to go back, I'd still delete the cats.

Vert

Established Member
Only time I smelled fuel was if I was standing behind mine while it was running or if I started it with the garage closed.

tgranber

Established Member
Can I add one more question to this? Anyone have the Off road X pipe and an E85 tune? Does E85 fuel change the smell?

Bryanh24

Established Member
I just did a UPR Off-Road x-pipe, and VMP tune to add to my gt500 axle back last week. My biggest concern was also the smell because I read a thread on here about a guy saying he couldn't stand it. My car is also a DD and I can tell you now he was being dramatic. The smell is noticeable yea, but it's nothing over the top, and the performance increase totally outweighs the smell, not to mention the sound.

Let's just put it like this, if the smell was even worse than it is now and I had a chance to go back, I'd still delete the cats.

So you do feel a little jump in performance also? Wow, sounds like a really good idea to take the cats out. I'm sure the sound is really intoxicating now with your car. And if I don't like the smell I can always put the cats back on. Did you do the labor yourself or did you get a shop to do it? If you did it, was it a hard job? Or a simple 30 minute process to put the cat deletes on? Thanks.

JumaadJ

Established Member
So you do feel a little jump in performance also? Wow, sounds like a really good idea to take the cats out. I'm sure the sound is really intoxicating now with your car. And if I don't like the smell I can always put the cats back on. Did you do the labor yourself or did you get a shop to do it? If you did it, was it a hard job? Or a simple 30 minute process to put the cat deletes on? Thanks.

Well I felt a huge jump in performance because my car was previously untuned, a tune does wonders for autos and that's what I have. VMP did a good job . Yes, the sound is very intoxicating in comparison, but keep in mind the off-road x is a much raspier sound, especially at high rpms. I get things done pretty cheap so I took it to a shop I know, I don't like doing exhast without a lift.

Bryanh24

Established Member
Well I felt a huge jump in performance because my car was previously untuned, a tune does wonders for autos and that's what I have. VMP did a good job . Yes, the sound is very intoxicating in comparison, but keep in mind the off-road x is a much raspier sound, especially at high rpms. I get things done pretty cheap so I took it to a shop I know, I don't like doing exhast without a lift.

Oh, ok. I might do offroad h anyway. And yeah tunes really are magic, I got a steeda tune on my m6 right now and man what a difference, love it! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to get the offroad x installed?

Bryanh24

Established Member
Only time I smelled fuel was if I was standing behind mine while it was running or if I started it with the garage closed.

Other than standing behind it, no fumes get into the cabin when they windows are down? Or for example sitting at a stop light, you don't smell anything with windows down?

Users who are viewing this thread