To Get A Doctorate Or Not...

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Let me make it short & sweet. It would be purely for the title. I just received my 3rd masters (mechanical engineering, engineering management, & mba). I have done all 3 masters in a 3 year period while working full-time running a company. I just had a baby (6 months old as of now). I can pursue a PhD in either of these fields, but am considering either mechanical engineering or engineering management. I've done my own work pertaining to the field I work in (commercial & industrial HVAC; process cooling for refineries & data center cooling primarily) for my masters. I don't need it, but I WANT it. It can also help me snag an adjunct professor position at some point later down the road if I feel like teaching on the side. I forgot to mention that I am 26 years old. I have not taken a break from school EVER! Should I start at it in the fall, take a break, or just not pursue it? Anybody that has experience with doing a dissertation, please let me know how it compares to a thesis. That's my biggest concern. Classes are a fixed duration & not the worry, the dissertation is the variable when it comes to how long it would take to complete. Opinions?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
To you it may not be important, but what's the cost/benefit analysis? If the PhD isn't going to increase your earning power, is it worth it to spend the money on the schooling?

Of course if it's just something you enjoy doing and want to do it, then that's a completely different story.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
To you it may not be important, but what's the cost/benefit analysis? If the PhD isn't going to increase your earning power, is it worth it to spend the money on the schooling?

Of course if it's just something you enjoy doing and want to do it, then that's a completely different story.

Yes & no to the second part. So the first part (cost/benefit analysis) to your answer is why I say no, as well as the amount of time it will consume (dissertations are not "fun"). I do enjoy it to a degree, but I just covet the idea of being called Dr. It's similar to the scene in the movie the Big Short where Michael Burry corrects the guys and says "Doctor". It feeds more into my ego, but then again my profession isn't as interesting to me as what I would be pursuing for my doctorate as well, so you could call my pursuit for my doctorate a hobby then.

Also, through taking advantage of scholarships, loopholes in the cost of classes after satisfying the full-time requirements (9 hours full-time for spring & fall semesters, any classes after cost a mere $100 extra to take), & paying as I went, I'm only have a tad under $8,000 in unsubsidized loans to pay off for all of my schooling, which will be paid off easily within the next two years.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Not unless you intend to go into academia. Otherwise, there's simply not enough benefit to justify the time, and cost.

I say this as someone who has a mechanical engineering degree, and who's father was a mechanical engineering professor for 30 years, and had a doctorate. He and I had this same conversation many times.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yes & no to the second part. So the first part (cost/benefit analysis) to your answer is why I say no, as well as the amount of time it will consume (dissertations are not "fun"). I do enjoy it to a degree, but I just covet the idea of being called Dr. It's similar to the scene in the movie the Big Short where Michael Burry corrects the guys and says "Doctor". It feeds more into my ego, but then again my profession isn't as interesting to me as what I would be pursuing for my doctorate as well, so you could call my pursuit for my doctorate a hobby then.

Also, through taking advantage of scholarships, loopholes in the cost of classes after satisfying the full-time requirements (9 hours full-time for spring & fall semesters, any classes after cost a mere $100 extra to take), & paying as I went, I'm only have a tad under $8,000 in unsubsidized loans to pay off for all of my schooling, which will be paid off easily within the next two years.

I would say if it's something you want and you can do it without taking on any additional debt, go for it. If you have to finance the education I'd say no since you're not going to be increasing your earning potential.

jbs$

Established Member
There are only a hand full of jobs in the private economy where a Doctorate may have some value. These few include economics, chemistry and a couple of specialty engineering areas. There may be a few other, but the point being, they are few and very competitive. As others have stated, unless you have an inside track on one of these, don't bother wasting the time nor the money.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
I would say if it's something you want and you can do it without taking on any additional debt, go for it. If you have to finance the education I'd say no since you're not going to be increasing your earning potential.

If I were to accrue any debt, it'd be minimal & I'd take on unsubsidized loans that would have lower interest rates than my invested money's yearly ROI. I'm not too worried about cost. I'm most worried about time consumption. At most, it would allow me some secondary income as an adjunct professor. I have no intentions of ever becoming a full-time professor.

oldmodman

Established Member
If it is possible for you to get the Phud without affecting (in order of importance) your home life, your finances, your sanity, or your future job outlook. Remembering that some companies might call you overqualified and gather that you will now be too expensive and they will pass you by.
Then go ahead and do it.
Now, as to the question about taing time off from school and doing it later. I have watched several friends try to get back into the academic frame of mind after taking a year or two off to work or drink and they all had a hard time getting the nose back into contact with the grindstone. If you are going to do it, do it right away.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
If it is possible for you to get the Phud without affecting (in order of importance) your home life, your finances, your sanity, or your future job outlook. Remembering that some companies might call you overqualified and gather that you will now be too expensive and they will pass you by.
Then go ahead and do it.
Now, as to the question about taing time off from school and doing it later. I have watched several friends try to get back into the academic frame of mind after taking a year or two off to work or drink and they all had a hard time getting the nose back into contact with the grindstone. If you are going to do it, do it right away.

Yeah, that's why I've done everything as fast as possible with no rest or break. So in my mind it is now or never. I'd have 7 classes to take, two exams other than the ones for the classed, and do a MINIMUM OF 12 dissertation hours. School is the easiest thing you do in your life, so I want to get it done with...with no regrets.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
OP, don't take this personally, as it is just a mandatory SD response.

OP is a Planter.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I'd do it, you could end arguments all over the place.

"Well, Doctor 'Hasselhoff said we should do it this way."

For people who don't know you; that'd actually work. Until.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Why you bragging so much? Seems to me you are over educated as it is.:kaboom:

Just stating that it's a possibility & giving my background. I'd brag if I got the PhD for sure, always asking to be called Dr.

I am over educated for my profession, all I needed was a bachelors in ME & I could still get my professional engineer stamp in mechanical engineering. The rest is for my own personal gain. I'd like to break into other fields someday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread