To do or not to do... Turbo my 93 Cobra

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
03-SilverSnake said:
So if i did the install myself, did you guys take yours somewhere to have it tuned ???
As far as tuning, I just tinker with fuel pressure, and timing until it's just right. I have a wideband a/f gauge that helps a lot.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
I'm assuming you guys are doing a single turbo as opposed to a twin ?? kinda forgot to inquire about that as to which is more efficient, etc.. for our rides.

tommygun

Established Member
98% of kits out there are single... pretty much all you need

a twin set up would be more time consuming and might have to loose the AC

DDMI or Incon twin kits are great but you have to pull the motor to put them on.

Turbomustangs.com might be your new freind if looking for kits

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Single kits on foxes are a LOT easier to fit, cheaper, and easier to work on. As far as efficiencies, it's a toss up. Properly sized, either are equal.

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
My car was built by Precision Turbo, 616a S Main St, Hebron, IN http://www.precisionturbo.net
Phone: (219) 996-7832

You need to consider that the stock GT40 iron heads are thin deck heads and have a reputation for flexing/lifting under boost. I went through a couple of sets of headgaskets before I finally bought some edelbrock heads. I know there will be cries about tuning etc. but that is just my experience...

Last edited:

tommygun

Established Member
I switch to alum heads will always benefit when boosted, it helps remove the heat, and usually flow better

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I agree the cast iron heads aren't ideal, however, they'll still work great if you're on a budget. The trick is ARP bolts or studs, and overtorqued (roughly 100lbs uppers, and 90 lbs lowers). Mine didn't lift at 21 lbs, but maybe I was just lucky.

Which Edlebrock heads do you have? I'm considering upgrading heads this time around, and am looking for some decent ones.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
what application turbo is best for just enjoyment (not track racing)... i'd like to eventually see over 600hp but i know that will come in time with proper mods... initially being able to roll by modded 03/04's would be nice with potential to
upgrade eventually.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Any of them. As long as the turbo is sized right, you'll make as much hp as you want with nearly any setup.

Turbo foxes will pull on just about any terminator regardless of their mods (unless that term is turbo'd as well).

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Hellion is a great kit because of fit/finish, and I think they have it on the shelf ready to go. If not, it's not that far out. Couple weeks at the most I think. Everyone else are months out (regardless of what they tell you).

Unless you have 6 months to kill stear WAY clear of ProTurboSystems (PTS). Even my Hotside only (headers and crossover pipe) from B&G took 2 months. Almost 3 weeks on my V-band clamps from PTS, and they had them in stock!

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Hellion is a great kit because of fit/finish, and I think they have it on the shelf ready to go. If not, it's not that far out. Couple weeks at the most I think. Everyone else are months out (regardless of what they tell you).

Unless you have 6 months to kill stear WAY clear of ProTurboSystems (PTS). Even my Hotside only (headers and crossover pipe) from B&G took 2 months. Almost 3 weeks on my V-band clamps from PTS, and they had them in stock!

Cool... thanks for the info... i will probably do the Hellion... just not sure which trim to get... and also, does adding that Y-pipe change the classic sound of the car much ?? it doesn't sound like it too much from some of the videos i've seen... i'm gonna be running a MAC catback.

Teal93

I beat my budys terminator and he has all the boltons and a tune and it was not even close at all. He makes about 50HP than me to. the power to weight ratio is heavly favored to us. so we dont have to make as much power as a terminator to beat up on them. Also on the exhaust note it purrs like a kitten then roars like a lion when the turbo is spooled up. Sounds so innocent driving around until you hammer down.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The turbo calms the exhaust a little, and takes almost all the drone out while cruising.

Otherwise it doesn't change the classic mustang sound much (different tone is all -lower).

I have the MAC catback, I'll see about getting some video of it and I'll try to post it up (never done it before).

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
The turbo calms the exhaust a little, and takes almost all the drone out while cruising.

Otherwise it doesn't change the classic mustang sound much (different tone is all -lower).

I have the MAC catback, I'll see about getting some video of it and I'll try to post it up (never done it before).

video would be great... you can host it on streetfire.net or youtube.com ... and then copy the link into a new post to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread