To do or not to do... Turbo my 93 Cobra

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Just picked up a REALLY nice teal w/black interior 93 Cobra a few weeks
back... just under 49k on the ticker... I'm feeling that power urge... i just
stepped out of an 03 KB Cobra so it's hard to fight the feeling ! Anyhow i'm wondering how many guys are running a turbo on the stock motor... and if so, how much power are you putting down... i'm debating on whether to violate
the car or just buy a coupe down the road and go crazy on it.. but the thought of a 93 turbo cobra sounds sweet !

- Aj -

Established Member
Do it! Theres another guy that posted about his 93 turbo cobra on here about a week or two ago. Turbos are pretty easy on a motor if tuned correctly. Check out the turbo mustangs forum for more info.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
03-SilverSnake said:
Yeah.. i'm wondering what install would cost.
I installed the kit myself. Mind you I do work on cars for a living, but it really wasn't that hard I think. I was time consuming though

And regarding the turbo upgrade... I would say Phuck YES!!! Do it. I don't regret at all removing my supercharger to put a turbo in. Its not even fully tuned yet, Im still fixing my MAF issue being pegged under 5k rpm's but the power is awesome! You wont regret it!

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
do it, i love it. i made 468 hp and 512 tq on a stock engine. i did put cometic head gaskets and arp studs on though. pump gas and still gets 20mpg when i'm nice on it.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Oh snap... Finally got it tuned Mike? Those are some very impressive numbers. I can't wait to finally get mine all tuned with the proper maf so I can really see what this baby can do!
How much boost did you run to get those numbers? Meth Inj?

jwwhaley

Established Member
DO IT, turbo'ed my Mystic without regret, it is my car isn't it? Likewaise your 93 cobra.. just don't butcher it and save the stock parts.

Don't run meth, just a crutch for no octane, get some torco and go to town. I run 26 PSI w/o meth crap and no problem, GET OCTANE

Last edited:

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Oh snap... Finally got it tuned Mike? Those are some very impressive numbers. I can't wait to finally get mine all tuned with the proper maf so I can really see what this baby can do!
How much boost did you run to get those numbers? Meth Inj?

it took 14 lbs to get those #'s. unfortunately my 60mm deisel turbo wasn't up to the task of making some real power. no meth, but the tq. fell after the peak and it pretty much maxed the turbo out to make it. but it's fun. gonna upgrade turbo in a few months after i swap the spoiler and get some axles. :thumbsup:

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Mike93SVT said:
do it, i love it. i made 468 hp and 512 tq on a stock engine. i did put cometic head gaskets and arp studs on though. pump gas and still gets 20mpg when i'm nice on it.

Sweet... Thanks for all the input guys.... about how much to install one
by a reputable place (ball park) ??

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
03-SilverSnake said:
Sweet... Thanks for all the input guys.... about how much to install one
by a reputable place (ball park) ??

no clue, you can do it yourself

tommygun

Established Member
64-78/hr and it calls for 16-20hrs labor.

Its not a terrible install, time consuming and it looks scary but its not "that" bad

Find a freind in your area to come over and help and knock it out in a day, unless you want to pay 1000-1500 for install

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
jwwhaley said:
Don't run meth, just a crutch for no octane, get some torco and go to town. I run 26 PSI w/o meth crap and no problem, GET OCTANE
LOL, meth IS octane. Not only that but it cools your intake charge as well. Two advantages all in one. Don't fear the unknown.

On my last turbo teal cobra, I made about 550 rwh on a stock motor, and went 10.8@129. f303 cam, 19 lbs of boost, 255 intank pump, 42lb injectors, and alcohol injection. On pump gas (some crutch eh?). Then with forged pistons, a bit lower compression, and a bit more boost I made 622 rwh and 723 lbs of torque, and went 10.55@133. The motor was stock except for the forged $300 summit pistons/total seal rings, .040 over, F cam, and ARP head bolts. Pump gas, 21 lbs of boost, 8 degrees base timing, alky injection, 3.27 gears! And I drove it 90 miles everyday.

Yes, turbo it. But don't cut anything up. My setup is completely bolt on. Sell all your stock stuff to offset the price. I assure you, you won't go back to stock.

My goal with this red one is to beat all my old numbers.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Do the install yourself. There're no special tools needed, it's pretty basic stuff. And you'll have a better understanding of how it works, and you'll be able to attack any problems that may arrise yourself.

It is a bit time consuming though, so have some patience.

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Do the install yourself. There're no special tools needed, it's pretty basic stuff. And you'll have a better understanding of how it works, and you'll be able to attack any problems that may arrise yourself.

It is a bit time consuming though, so have some patience.

I too installed the kit myself. It took me over twice as long as the directions said. So definately have some patience!!!!

Teal93

I took the vortech off of my car and put it on the wifes car and put hp performance turbo kit on mine. You have to cut but very little. I have had my cobra for 13 years so cutting it did not bother me because I plan to keep it for another 13 years. I run 14 psi with 19 total on the timing with 100 octane with stock fuel system with 42 pound injectors and put 525hp and 530tq with 95,000 on the engine, but I dont daily drive it anymore. Just for the weekends. I could turn it down and daily driving but I would rather have it on kill mode for those pesky zo6's . I am thinking of selling the vortech on the wifes and trying the hellion kit and then I will have 2 turboed 93 cobras. Also put the kit on myself saved 1500 on that and cost me 85bucks for 1 hour for the dyno. turbo is well worth it .

Users who are viewing this thread