To buy or not to buy???

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
Yesterday, with check in hand, we drove 6hrs one way to potentially pickup an 03 Torch Red Vert with 36k miles. Has an Aluminator, hand ported blower, Reichard 2.79, Ron Davis HE, Kook's LT's, Wilwood 6 Pistons, Tubular K-Member, Coilovers, MM Caster/Camber, Bassani Exhaust, Fidenza Aluminum Flywheel, Spec II, Staggered FR500's (spacers and studs in the rear) with Brand New Nitto's all the way around, and all for 18,700. Seems like a good deal to me.

When we went on the test drive, the battery light was on but went out above 2k rpm. Owner said the alternator was new and hasn't given him any problems. Driver's header was rubbing on steering column bad enough to leave severe wearing. Reverse was next to impossible to get into gear. And it wasn't detailed at all, as he'd said it would be. Motor was filthy, as was the interior. However, overall the exterior was sharp except for a couple small rock chips, broken 3rd brake light, and scuffed trunk lid from Sirrus antenna.

Through all this, I decided to buy the car and about 30 minutes into the drive home, the motor died out from what seemed to be the alternator taking it's last breath :-( Called the seller and he came and picked up the car and title, and I have my check back. He's supposed to be taking it to a shop Tuesday to have it checked out.

At this point, he's expecting me to drive back down once it's fixed and do this all over again, even though I've already wasted 12 hrs of my time and gas only to find that the car wasn't ready, nor as described.

Should I still buy this car???? Any input?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I'd pass personally. Too many nice cars out there to deal with a car that seems to have lots of issues.

cbr repsol

Established Member
A alternator is not really that big of a problem to fix. However the way this car condition is described and time/gas u put into getting it. I would walk away and not even answer his calls. Who knows what other problems it may have ? you mentioned not being able to put it in reverses ,it could be just simple adjustment or major issues. A trans for these cars runs about 2800.00 not including labor to put it in. Keep checking the market place here on svtperf. or Hi-End Auto - Hi-End Auto

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
I wouldn't do it. Especially for what all is done to it you have no idea who did the work and if they even have any clue what they are doing, which it sounds like they didn't from how jenky everything is described. Guaranteed you can find a better car cause all thats gonna be is an $18,000 headache

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
I wasn't expecting this to be so unanimous. But, I'm glad that you guys are seeing this the same way I do. It just feels a little off, and for the money, I feel like I should go with my gut instinct. Thanks guys.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with what everyone else said. Man atleast he took the car back!

force feed

Established Member
i agree with everyone else. There is too much unknow and a lot of shady sellers these days. Walk away and dont look back. If its that important to make a thread about to buy or not to buy then you shouldnt buy it. My .02

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
i agree with everyone else. There is too much unknow and a lot of shady sellers these days. Walk away and dont look back. If its that important to make a thread about to buy or not to buy then you shouldnt buy it. My .02

Point well made. Just wish there were more 03-04's in this area. Still, I'm gonna start hunting for another. Thanks for all the feedback.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The road failure could be a blessing in disguise. We've seen more than one buy here that resulted in one issue after another. I'd walk away at this point, but if you choose to give it a second chance proceed with caution and check it out really well.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
i agree with the majority, WALK AWAY. sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. these cars are popping up all over the net f/s. keep looking!

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
It's just difficult when you're this far away from where all the nice one's are. I was hoping to find a good deal on a low mileage convertible. The other thing that I forgot to mention was how rich the car ran. After idling for only a minute and then rapping on it, it put out a huge cloud of gray unspent fuel. It has 60 lb injectors, boost a pump, and sct2400 maf. It's in need of a tune in a bad way. Wish there were more around to open up my options.

Users who are viewing this thread