To Buy or Not to Buy?

highonpsi

Established Member
I'm looking at an '03 Cobra to possibly consider buying. It has been in an accident and this is how the ad goes:

Comment: Was hit, new LF fender, door, quarter, rocker, wheels, solid axle conversion, not for perfectionists. 20,000 miles. Healy Autosport Call for appointment. Established 1993.

1610696.gif

I called and got a little bit more info and he said there was no frame damage. One of the rear arms was bent, so that is why he swapped in a solid rear axle from a GT, and two Cobra wheels were damaged on the side that was repaired, so the car currently has Bullitt rims.

I understand that an accident car is not the way to go, but can you guys tell me what to look out for when I check out the car? Will the solid rear axle add weight to the car? How much more you think (then a stock Cobra that weighs 3665LBS) The car was a Texas car. This is probably the only way I could afford a Cobra, so this is why I am considering it. I used to be into the DSM's (Eclipse/Talon Turbo AWD's) and have modded a few to be pretty powerful, so a Supercharged V8 would be a NICE change!

Is there a link or site that shows how to mod Cobras and what gains they get?

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
If at all possible, I would recommend negotiating to take it to a reputable repair shop who can examine the chassis (IE: a shop with frame straightening equipment). The thing you worry about is if the sub-frams are still square which tells you if the suspension positioning/geometery is correct. Not to mention was it repainted correctly? Do all of the electric parts work correctly (door locks, power windows, etc.)? Is the glass back in the car correct - no leaks?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I see one phrase in the ad that would make me hesitant. "not for perfectionists"

I wouldn't touch this one. I would never trust what anyone says about a car that was in an accident. It is very rare that you hear the whole truth. Maybe a good second opinion shop might be able to give you a complete picture, but I still wouldn't totally trust it. IMO there are a lot of better deals out there if you're patient and keep looking. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread