To boost or not (kenne bell)

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
So I have some tax refund money coming and am thinking of taking the dive and finally getting boosted with a 2.1 KB big bore kit non inter-cooled. Been reading online and wanted to hear others accounts of install and opinions on it. Perfectly fine hitting only 400rwhp or so for now so 6lbs and non inter-cooled is OK in my book.

Install seems pretty easy other than how the hell do you trim those knock sensor bosses down? Cut with a saws all or what?

Also, I hate wiring, so the BAP does not seem fun at all.

Any other experience/need to know items? Opinions/comments etc. Any install tips or special tools needed?

:burnout:

edit:
also looked through this thread mostly but wanted to see if anyone could share otherwise... http://www.modularfords.com/threads/13633-Kenne-Bell-99-amp-01-SC-Kit-Install-Q-amp-A-Thread/page5

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can you still get the kits or are you looking for a used one? Either way I wouldn't run a twin screw without an intercooler. But that's just my opinion.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Can you still get the kits or are you looking for a used one? Either way I wouldn't run a twin screw without an intercooler. But that's just my opinion.

I was looking to buy from KB. Yeah the crap side is the IC version is a 'cool' $2,000 more than the non inter cooled and also ups the boost by 3lbs to 9lbs total and puts a lot of guys north of 430rwhp. I know with boost you are playing with fire on your engines life, but from the numerous threads 425-450rwhp seems to be the end of the road for these motors rods. Non planning on doing any rebuild any time soon, so the 6lbs and 400rwhp was fine in my book that's why I was leaning towards non-IC and the $2k.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Call KB amd double check you can get it. Last I heard the kits for the 99/01 was no longer offered.

A tune can be made on the conservative side. Running lower timing will lower power. And you won't have hot air being blown into the engine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd still call. I knew someone wanted to buy one and was told it was no longer available.

2001 svt cobra!

Established Member
ill have to look into that bc i was also planning on buying one the intercooled one. i know a good many years back like 03/04 they werent available due to hood clearance issues and the 03/04 cobra came out and the 99/01 kit was put on delay

01yellercobra

Established Member
The info I got was that a lot of the kit used Ford parts. Ford stopped producing the parts so KB stopped making the kits.

fangs99

Established Member
That non I/C kit will become dangerous come summer time when ambient air is 80+. Have you looked into a Meth kit? They are more like $600.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I was looking to buy from KB. Yeah the crap side is the IC version is a 'cool' $2,000 more than the non inter cooled and also ups the boost by 3lbs to 9lbs total and puts a lot of guys north of 430rwhp. I know with boost you are playing with fire on your engines life, but from the numerous threads 425-450rwhp seems to be the end of the road for these motors rods. Non planning on doing any rebuild any time soon, so the 6lbs and 400rwhp was fine in my book that's why I was leaning towards non-IC and the $2k.

Putting an intercooler on the car does not up the boost..

You can still run the 6lb pulley with an intercooler.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Putting an intercooler on the car does not up the boost..

You can still run the 6lb pulley with an intercooler.

Yeah. Just the 'kit' comes with the 9lb pulley. Thinking for the cost and to do it right might have to look at a centri style system. With 100+ degree summers that non intercooled kit is going to suffer in phoenix. Thanks for the words of advise all.

Mach828

Established Member
A PD blower, non intercooled, is just asking for problems. Even on low boost, on a hot summer day, and few pulls, it will heat soak and run like crap and you risk detention.

Just piece together a used centri kit. Thats what I did, it was inexpensive, and with a big front mount I don't have to worry about high IATs.

Last edited:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice. The good ol doing it right and doing it cheap never seems to mix. Gonna hash out a new plan and look at some centri systems.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Did you think about an Eaton swap? It'll get you to your stock shortblock's limit on the stock pulley.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I remember that same thing as Slo. They used the 03/04 lower intake and intercooler I think. Ford doesn't stock them anymore so they stopped producing the kits.

Drak

go baby go
Established Member
I called them before I did a eaton swap. They don't offer it anymore, they just haven't updated there website to reflect that for whatever reason.

Was super disappointed.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Well that solves all of that. Lol. Didn't ever plan to go through the effort of hunting down the pieces to a 03/04 kit, although the flexibility of it (growth wise) and cost are attractive, as is the PD style blower, more interested in a complete set up.

Whats everyone's opinions on a BAP vs a focus (255) pump or the 310 pump? Ease of install i imagine goes to the BAP, but over all efficiency to feed some 42lb injectors for 6-8 lbs of boost?

Users who are viewing this thread