To anyone that has a career....

CO Mack

Established Member
I agree with you...sort of. It IS hard to retain a certain culture that a Company wants. And, ultimately extremely easy to destroy that same culture. However, it's a catch-22. It is really upheld by the Employees that turn the engine. Culture is not necessarily always driven by leadership/management....sure, they uphold it, preach it and make decisions to try and build/sustain it...but, it ultimately is the responsibility of the EE's to drive it and sustain it. They have to believe it. With that said (the catch-22 of it all), Employees that do jump onto the next role, perpetuate the "I'll just keep looking", the "grass is greener" mentality, which destroys the basic fabric of team workmanship. It ends up being "I'm going to get mine" instead of putting in the time, working hard and fostering something great. We all see both sides of this coin throughout winning (and losing) teams in sports. I hate to admit it, but the whole millennials generation argument really holds weight here. (FWIW, I'm technically a millennial as well)

...all very preachy in what I said, unfortunately...but, I'm one of those that would stick around in situations like the OP and try to make things better, rather than just saying "fk it" and moving on to a different position looking for something better. It has worked well for me, in my career, so that's all I can lend advice to!

Let us know how things go OP, I'd be interested to hear what you choose to do and how it worked for you.

I don't disagree with anything except the comments about "working hard and fostering something great"...that's a great story, until people are RIF'd, you get re-orgd and end up working for a shit manager that is intimidated by his betters who might report to them, the company is sold etc. With almost no exceptions, there's absolutely no loyalty from a public company to it's workers in this day and age. Small businesses where you can know the owner personally are different, and that would be a different story. But large companies? Executive management refers to employees as an expense to be minimized. Treat them as a mercenary, stay until the culture sucks for you or opportunities dry up, or you end up working for a crappy boss (like OP) and QUICKLY fix it. If you can't, just move on.

If you want to kill yourself building something great, go to a startup or small business where you can actually build a culture AND get compensated for it. Large businesses you just don't have enough control to justify a years long slog unless you are an exec.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
However, it's a catch-22. It is really upheld by the Employees that turn the engine. Culture is not necessarily always driven by leadership/management....sure, they uphold it, preach it and make decisions to try and build/sustain it...but, it ultimately is the responsibility of the EE's to drive it and sustain it. They have to believe it.

And what employee would believe it when their leaders are so obviously full of shit?

The "I'm gonna get mine" attitude isn't limited to staff workers. It's just as prevalent in leadership. It's easy to tell which managers actually believe they shit they're pushing, and which are just saying what they're told.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Yeah, I don't disagree with you both (Coiled and CO). Huge difference in the small business / large corporation world. My first job was with a big corporation, but the culture there was pretty amazing as to avoid most of the executive BS....(It was SW Airlines) So I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to the standard, large corp culture.

Users who are viewing this thread