TMI Chicane Seats Do Fit in a 94-98 Vert

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
why wouldn't the seat belt holder work? Is there an adapter that's needed or something?

The oem seat has a bracket that attaches to the seat, the seat belt slides in to that. However, it frequently slips out, probably 30-50% of the time I went to buckle up, I'd have to fish it back through the holder.

With the seat now, I take like one extra second when I get out of the car and drape the belt over the bolster. It sits like factory and doesn't slip, even when getting in to the car. I have come to accept that while it's not a perfect solution, it's no worse than stock.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
where are you located? I'd love to sit in them and make sure they are going to be comfy enough :)

I'm probably nowhere near you, Central AR.

The seats are firm. I personally don't mind the firmness of the seats. They're not race seat hard but there's not much give either. They do not conform to your body. I don't get "hot spots" pressure issues when I sit in them. I've been in them for five hours and was fine. I wasn't fine like Cadillac or Lincoln seats fine, more like "This is a firm seat but it takes the edge off bumps" fine. Compared to a stock seat, they're 100% stiffer.

They are ultra bolstered and not for husky dudes. If your waist is over a 36, you may not fit. The hip area is small, everywhere else is fine. You WILL NOT move in corners.

Once in the seat, seating position is great. Seat height compared to stock is basically identical if you use the low profile mounts from them. I might sit ever so much higher than with stock seats but considering the stock foam was worn completely out, I think it's the same really.

Getting in and out is definitely more difficult because of the bolsters but not impossibly so. Something to be aware of.

from6to8

Established Member
I look at the floorpan of coupe cars and certs, they're nearly identical.

Second, I looked at the seats specs online. I measured the bottom foam length and then hinge area to back of seat and compared them to stock seats. They're nearly identical.

Last, I looked at verts where people used the rail extenders. They fit just fine but contact the retractor if you go too far.

Based on those findings, I was pretty confident the seats would fit honestly. Nervous, but confident. I figured, worst case, if they don't fit I can just send them back and pay the difference or sell them outright and recoup most of the price. The difference would be my "learning fee" plus I would document it for others. Gotta pay to play sometimes.
ok yeah when I looked last night checking on pricing I saw where they said they won't fit a convertible. I thought when I read your post the first time I was thinking they wouldn't fit 94-98's period and at the time before I looked at your pics also didn't realize you had a vert.

from6to8

Established Member
I'm probably nowhere near you, Central AR.

The seats are firm. I personally don't mind the firmness of the seats. They're not race seat hard but there's not much give either. They do not conform to your body. I don't get "hot spots" pressure issues when I sit in them. I've been in them for five hours and was fine. I wasn't fine like Cadillac or Lincoln seats fine, more like "This is a firm seat but it takes the edge off bumps" fine. Compared to a stock seat, they're 100% stiffer.

They are ultra bolstered and not for husky dudes. If your waist is over a 36, you may not fit. The hip area is small, everywhere else is fine. You WILL NOT move in corners.

Once in the seat, seating position is great. Seat height compared to stock is basically identical if you use the low profile mounts from them. I might sit ever so much higher than with stock seats but considering the stock foam was worn completely out, I think it's the same really.

Getting in and out is definitely more difficult because of the bolsters but not impossibly so. Something to be aware of.
oh ok AZ lol dang. Will there be anything I need to do or change on the seats? Adapter wise or plugs, ect? I also see they are non powered so not a bad thing but having power is kinda cool but not the end of the world if not I guess. I thought about going to manual before when the motors failed and I tried different motors. I was a rookie back then though lol

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Arkansas, not Arizona.

Buy the seats from Cjponyparts. They're far less expensive and TMI told me the same lead time when I called them directly about vert fitment details. You'll want the low profile seat mounts. Everything is a 100% bolt in, no mods of any kind.

I was slightly bummed about non-powered but I'm the only one who sits in it and I honestly can't tell you the last time the seat was moved. On top of that, they're lighter than stock so you get decent weight savings, lol.

from6to8

Established Member
Arkansas, not Arizona.

Buy the seats from Cjponyparts. They're far less expensive and TMI told me the same lead time when I called them directly about vert fitment details. You'll want the low profile seat mounts. Everything is a 100% bolt in, no mods of any kind.

I was slightly bummed about non-powered but I'm the only one who sits in it and I honestly can't tell you the last time the seat was moved. On top of that, they're lighter than stock so you get decent weight savings, lol.
oh yeah most definitely I would've bought from CJ. I always check the best pricing available anywhere lol. How high is the top of the knee bolster, the climb to get out of the seat lol. I just sat in my car and I like to relax my legs and spread them as far as they'll go lol so I definitely need to feel that situation out. TMI said they will likely get to mustang week so I will definitely be heading up there to check them out and sit in them :)

So yeah sitting in your seat, how high is the hump on the side as in distance upward from the base where you sit?

from6to8

Established Member
Arkansas, not Arizona.

looks like our posts in the thread " Seats have arrived " were deleted. I saw the last thing you said of how you move your left leg or use your left leg. When I went to refresh this morning they were no longer there. I asked something yesterday before I left work about the measurement from the sitting position as to how high the hump is, as to climbing over or lifting your leg over to get out. It seems the oem 94's hump is about maybe 3-4 inches if that and no higher than the top of my leg which is around 5 inches. If it is 5 inches or less then that might not be so bad as in me lifting leg over to get out or even doing like i do now and my leg resting slightly on top of the hump.

rzimmerl

Established Member
I was wanting to get these seats but the price has doubled since January....$1400-1600, now I'm looking at the Corbeau Sport

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
That is INSANE. Mine were like $700ish not including the low-pro seat brackets.

They are not worth $14-1600, I'll tell you that right now. They're good seats but at that price, I'd move on to something else. WTF.

To recap about the fit, the leg bolsters are there but they won't stop you from moving your legs around. I checked this morning and you can rest your leg on the door panel of you chose. You can feel the bolster but it doesn't impede movement. It hits you about mid upper thigh. When you get out of the car.....it's there lol. It's not a huge impediment or anything but you feel it.

The seat will relax a little and break in over time. The bolsters do conform to your body. It's a good seat. It's not $14-1600 good though. Holy hell.

from6to8

Established Member
That is INSANE. Mine were like $700ish not including the low-pro seat brackets.

They are not worth $14-1600, I'll tell you that right now. They're good seats but at that price, I'd move on to something else. WTF.

To recap about the fit, the leg bolsters are there but they won't stop you from moving your legs around. I checked this morning and you can rest your leg on the door panel of you chose. You can feel the bolster but it doesn't impede movement. It hits you about mid upper thigh. When you get out of the car.....it's there lol. It's not a huge impediment or anything but you feel it.

The seat will relax a little and break in over time. The bolsters do conform to your body. It's a good seat. It's not $14-1600 good though. Holy hell.
wow I'm glad he said something as to the price doubling because I hadn't priced them before few days ago. Smh yeah I'll really think long and hard now and might just wait on Kevin Brosch to get those custom Terminator seats done toward end of the year.

When you get time if you can please measure the hump from the seat where you sit to the top of the hump. Appreciate it

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
When you get time if you can please measure the hump from the seat where you sit to the top of the hump. Appreciate it

3" at it's tallest point.

I'll have to resize pics, I took a few for visual clarity. Need to transfer them off my phone to the comp to resize them correctly.

Rest assured that they don't interfere when driving in any way and are only like 10% annoying when getting in or out, lol.

from6to8

Established Member
3" at it's tallest point.

I'll have to resize pics, I took a few for visual clarity. Need to transfer them off my phone to the comp to resize them correctly.

Rest assured that they don't interfere when driving in any way and are only like 10% annoying when getting in or out, lol.
ok kool man and appreciate it. I'll definitely try and go to mustang week specifically to check them out and sit in them lol. I will call CJ and inquire about that price increase too smh

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
pics as promised. 1 side shot, one with leg resting (comfortably) against door, and one with leg straight and hand as a reference. IMG_20210525_134543.jpg IMG_20210525_134621.jpg IMG_20210525_134646.jpg

from6to8

Established Member

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
preciate all the help man and thanks. How much did you say you paid for those seats and how long ago was it? I actually am going to call CJ and inquire as to the price spike on those seats smh.

I went back and checked, they were $770 plus $210 for a pair of low pro seat brackets. Ended up being a hair over $1000 total. If you had fab skills, seat brackets could be free.

I would imagine the price increase to be one of two scenarios. 1.) bEcAuSe CoViD or 2.) Pricing dispute and contract obligations.

Either way, I'm sorry but the seats aren't worth $1,400. There are better seats out there for the money. If I had this to do all over again, I'd just pick a black seat and move on.

rzimmerl

Established Member
The seats were actually down around to ~$660 in I'd say February vs $1385.99 today, but I was in mid process of purchasing all my suspension stuff so I held off.... guessing covid increase for shortage and whatever else is causing everything to go up...

from6to8

Established Member
I went back and checked, they were $770 plus $210 for a pair of low pro seat brackets. Ended up being a hair over $1000 total. If you had fab skills, seat brackets could be free.

I would imagine the price increase to be one of two scenarios. 1.) bEcAuSe CoViD or 2.) Pricing dispute and contract obligations.

Either way, I'm sorry but the seats aren't worth $1,400. There are better seats out there for the money. If I had this to do all over again, I'd just pick a black seat and move on.
woww man lol. Do the brackets actually sit you down lower and If I just use my stockers how much higher would I sit up/run the risk of head hitting the ceiling lol?

And I definitely want to keep the tan because IMO with the rio red car and since it has tan, the seat being tan is a good proportion to the interior and I've always wanted that peanut butter colored interior in any one of my vehicles. Going the custom route 03-04 saddles would be unique but total cost would cost me around $1800 with the skin and labor. Actually might be 400' something less because the foam still feels firm and fine as the seats i got out of the 03 v6 looks in excellent condition. If they can re use those foams then those custom seats are neck and neck maybe a tad cheaper than the current price of the Chicane

from6to8

Established Member
The seats were actually down around to ~$660 in I'd say February vs $1385.99 today, but I was in mid process of purchasing all my suspension stuff so I held off.... guessing covid increase for shortage and whatever else is causing everything to go up...
oh wow that's crazy man. If I do get them I will likely check all of the holidays from now till yrs end as well as black friday and cyber monday before I get them. I'm not in a desperate mood to have them right now at that price.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I want to be clear, the TMI seats ARE good quality seats. I personally think there are better options for seats at the price point. However, finding an exact match seat is basically impossible and like you, I just couldn't settle for anything other than a factory color. I understand your interest in keeping the color.

You can find good seats in a JY if you choose passenger side seat foams. You'll have great lick that way but still, it's a used foam and will break down pretty quick as it's already 15-20 years old and sitting in a JY.

I did some additional digging and apparently it's a two part issue that's caused the huge price hike. It's equal parts supply chain issues (oil factory shutdown affected plastics greatly) and long LONG overdue price adjustments. I don't think any company should sell at a loss but an incremental increase over a shorter time frame would have been a nice heads up. Like, "Get em while you can, our prices are increasing to adequately cover manufacturing and fair employee wages".

If you do but them, I can say you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread