TMI Chicane Seats Do Fit in a 94-98 Vert

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I'm posting this because there's been some trepidation about TMI chicane seats in a vert before 99.

So, about three months ago, I ordered TMI chicane seats for my Cobra vert from CJPonyParts. I got the saddle color. They told me that it would take approximately 2-2.5 months for the order to complete. They also warned me that, since TMI states the seats don't fit, I'd have to pay for the return fees. Well, they were right on one of those points, the seats arrived 2 days after Christmas.

The seats fit perfectly fine in a convertible. If anything, they actually fit better than stock. I'm convinced the the reason they say they don't fit is due to the seat track allowing the seat to contact the seat belt retractor on the floor. The same thing happens if you have the seat track extenders on a stock seat in a vert. This isn't a bad thing, as the stock seats don't go far enough back IMO.

The color is a perfect match for the interior. The seats themselves sit right at stock height without the included spacers. They're far more comfortable than the worn out stock seats and they really help the car interior look better.

As for how they fit/feel, they're great! Much better than the old worn out stockers. They are a little tight in the hip area, but I'm probably slightly above average in height/weight. For reference, I'm 6'1", 200lbs. If you're a bigger guy, they're going to get really tight in the hip area but the shoulder area is fine.

During install, take the time to mess with the wire than connects the two sliders. It needs to be pretty tight in order to get them to adjust correctly. I used some pliers and a vice to keep everything straight. This step may not be 100% necessary, but I wanted it to work perfectly for a long time. This paragraph will make more sense if/when you buy your own and install the parts before bolting in. I consider this part an adjustment and isn't a slight on the product.

I took two pics for reference. One pic is under white LEDs in a garage. That pic shows the seat all the way back against the retractor. In this location, it touches but doesn't press hard against the plastic. It would probably wear away over time. The next pic is at night with a flash on. This shows the seat one click up from resting on the retractor. It's still further back than stock, but probably only slightly so. If you look, you can see a slight mark on the retractor housing where the seat rubbed.

In closing, the seats DO fit, there are NO problems, and you get more adjustment than stock.

Attachments

• seat 1.jpg
    seat 1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 207
  • seat 2.jpg
    seat 2.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Need more pics :). Thanks for posting this up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I'm posting this because there's been some trepidation about TMI chicane seats in a vert before 99.

So, about three months ago, I ordered TMI chicane seats for my Cobra vert from CJPonyParts. I got the saddle color. They told me that it would take approximately 2-2.5 months for the order to complete. They also warned me that, since TMI states the seats don't fit, I'd have to pay for the return fees. Well, they were right on one of those points, the seats arrived 2 days after Christmas.

The seats fit perfectly fine in a convertible. If anything, they actually fit better than stock. I'm convinced the the reason they say they don't fit is due to the seat track allowing the seat to contact the seat belt retractor on the floor. The same thing happens if you have the seat track extenders on a stock seat in a vert. This isn't a bad thing, as the stock seats don't go far enough back IMO.

The color is a perfect match for the interior. The seats themselves sit right at stock height without the included spacers. They're far more comfortable than the worn out stock seats and they really help the car interior look better.

As for how they fit/feel, they're great! Much better than the old worn out stockers. They are a little tight in the hip area, but I'm probably slightly above average in height/weight. For reference, I'm 6'1", 200lbs. If you're a bigger guy, they're going to get really tight in the hip area but the shoulder area is fine.

During install, take the time to mess with the wire than connects the two sliders. It needs to be pretty tight in order to get them to adjust correctly. I used some pliers and a vice to keep everything straight. This step may not be 100% necessary, but I wanted it to work perfectly for a long time. This paragraph will make more sense if/when you buy your own and install the parts before bolting in. I consider this part an adjustment and isn't a slight on the product.

I took two pics for reference. One pic is under white LEDs in a garage. That pic shows the seat all the way back against the retractor. In this location, it touches but doesn't press hard against the plastic. It would probably wear away over time. The next pic is at night with a flash on. This shows the seat one click up from resting on the retractor. It's still further back than stock, but probably only slightly so. If you look, you can see a slight mark on the retractor housing where the seat rubbed.

In closing, the seats DO fit, there are NO problems, and you get more adjustment than stock.

Agree with above. Tech doesn't apply to me, but from the bit I see those look fantastic! Nicely done.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
took some pics while checking in on my mother. she had surgery recently and i wanted to make sure shes ok (she is).

didnt really bother to clean the car since its been raining for the past 3-4 days. plus, its my daily so its not the cleanest right now.

the seats were the best decision ever. recovering stock seats will set you back nearly the same amount since you have to buy new foams regardless for pre-99 seats.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 211
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 185
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 179
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 207
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 193
  • pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 208

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Wow they really look great!

Thanks for checking back in on this issue. I have been waiting to see your results.

How were they shipped to you? Meaning how much assembly was required when they came?

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Do they sit higher or lower than the oem seats?

They sit roughly same as stock height without the included spacers and using the low profile seat brackets. They might sit slightly higher if your existing seat foam is really worn out. I don't feel like I sit "too high" in the seat.

I do like that I have more adjustment than stock.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Wow they really look great!

Thanks for checking back in on this issue. I has been waiting to see your results.

How were they shipped to you? Meaning how much assembly was required when they came?

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

They come shipped in a giant box, fully assembled. The seat sliders are inside the box. You buy the seat adapters separately.

It's four allen headed bolts (Allen key included) to bolt the sliders to the seat, four half inch nuts from the sliders to the adapter frame, and of course the 15mm nuts/bolts to the floor.

It took longer to set the wire connecting the sliders together than bolting everything together.

rzimmerl

Established Member
Looks great! Now I'm going to have a tougher decision on TMI vs Corbeau this spring.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Looks great! Now I'm going to have a tougher decision on TMI vs Corbeau this spring.

I would say either is fine unless you're looking for a saddle colored seat. The TMI seats are a 100% spot on match. If you're going for black, just pick whichever is cheaper as both companies make great seats.

The main reason I made this post was due to CJP and TMI themselves telling me the seats "wouldn't fit". I fully understand why they say this, because the seat will adjust all the way into the retractor, but they physically fit and have more adjustment than stock because of it.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
How does the vinyl feel?

Feels better than the oem leather seats they replaced, even when they were new. It's softer than traditional vinyl but it's not buttery smooth like high quality leather. It's somewhere in between.

rzimmerl

Established Member
I would say either is fine unless you're looking for a saddle colored seat. The TMI seats are a 100% spot on match. If you're going for black, just pick whichever is cheaper as both companies make great seats.

Yes, I have saddle interior also. I see corbeau offers 2 different colors but neither are an exact match. The TMI look like they have more side upper and lower support.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Yes, I have saddle interior also. I see corbeau offers 2 different colors but neither are an exact match. The TMI look like they have more side upper and lower support.

For reference, I'm 6'1", 200lbs. I don't lift or anything but I'm not tiny. I have plenty of room in the shoulder and back area. I only have experience with Corbeau Forza seats. Though the were a fixed back, both seats fit the same in the shoulder area regardless. I have about 2-3" of lateral movement before hitting a bolster. They're right there.....but not intrusive.

The seats are firm at my hip, I wear a 36 pant. I would say I'm at the limit for fitting in the seat. It's not uncomfortable at all but anymore and I think it would be. These seats are not for husky dudes, lol.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
While I'm thinking about it, I was concerned that losing the seat belt holder would be a PITA but the seat bolsters are enough to hold the belt in place on the seat when not in use. Plus, the stock holder never worked all the well for me anyways, it slipped out frequently.

I know this is all a bunch of wordy talk for a part that takes 30 minutes to install, I just wanted to people to know my experience with a part that's advertised as not working....but actually works great.

from6to8

Established Member

The main reason I made this post was due to CJP and TMI themselves telling me the seats "wouldn't fit". I fully understand why they say this, because the seat will adjust all the way into the retractor, but they physically fit and have more adjustment than stock because of it.
why would you take that chance though and they actually might not have fit lol? I mean I'm glad it worked out for you I just know that I hate to waste money and the aggravation if they didn't fit as they said it wouldn't lol.

from6to8

Established Member

why would you take that chance though and they actually might not have fit lol? I mean I'm glad it worked out for you I just know that I hate to waste money and the aggravation if they didn't fit as they said it wouldn't lol.

from6to8

Established Member
While I'm thinking about it, I was concerned that losing the seat belt holder would be a PITA but the seat bolsters are enough to hold the belt in place on the seat when not in use. Plus, the stock holder never worked all the well for me anyways, it slipped out frequently.

I know this is all a bunch of wordy talk for a part that takes 30 minutes to install, I just wanted to people to know my experience with a part that's advertised as not working....but actually works great.
why wouldn't the seat belt holder work? Is there an adapter that's needed or something?

from6to8

Established Member

where are you located? I'd love to sit in them and make sure they are going to be comfy enough :)

xblitzkriegx

Established Member

I look at the floorpan of coupe cars and certs, they're nearly identical.

Second, I looked at the seats specs online. I measured the bottom foam length and then hinge area to back of seat and compared them to stock seats. They're nearly identical.

Last, I looked at verts where people used the rail extenders. They fit just fine but contact the retractor if you go too far.

Based on those findings, I was pretty confident the seats would fit honestly. Nervous, but confident. I figured, worst case, if they don't fit I can just send them back and pay the difference or sell them outright and recoup most of the price. The difference would be my "learning fee" plus I would document it for others. Gotta pay to play sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread