Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Nitto NT 555

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FstRyde03

10th Anniv. Convertible
Established Member
Wondered if you guys could chime in and give me your opinions on a couple of tires. I am thinking of buying wheels from a shop and they have Sumitomo HTZ R III and Nitto NT555. The car is a daily driver in Sacramento, no snow or ice and sees the occassionaly spirited mountain drive. Any info or opinion on these two tires would be helpful cause they are the same price. Thank you.

1hot281

Established Member
Sumi's are G A R B A G E. It's hard to believe Nitto's are the same price. Tho the NT555's are a little generic overall. I'd personally go with some other option but between those two, Nitto by far.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Well it depneds what you really need the tire for. If your going to be doing 40-140mph pulls, or just taking the twisties. Also need to know what you power level is. Honestly I've had Nitto NT555's on the rear when I first bought my car and 500+hp and they wouldnt grip worth a shit, but they're not made for High Horsepower cars doing digs. Honestly I wouldnt get either but if you HAVE to pick between the two the nitto is a better tire.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ugh..:nonono:

You get what you pay for in this pair. They are both made of stone.

I would not expect exciting grip from either of them.

I think these cars deserve at least a 220 wear tire. There are several nice tires that are between 180 and 220 wear, that will still wear OK but be much more fun to drive on.

How much fun can a Terminator be without good grip?

va boy

Established Member
How much fun can a Terminator be without good grip?[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. Mine is sooooo much more enjoyable to drive, with great feed back since I put on the NT05's!

If you don't mind coming off the coin, they are a great tire.

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
Sumis are probably the worst grip tire i have seen.

I have regular Nittos on the back of my KB car now and when warmed up around 45mph roll in second they grip fairly well.

beeradd

Established Member
I had nitto 555's on the rear when I bought my car, no traction whatsoever...
I still run them on the front though and they hold up good.

mach1033

Established Member
I had the Nitto NT 555's front and back. They are a great street tire and handle great in the rain. Now with just 495rwhp from a dig or even 2nd gear they didnt grab worth a shit. Not sure what your making but I would save a little more and get a better tire that will grip better. Remember these cars make instant TQ so the stickier the tire the more fun you will have. :beer:

Ryushin

Established Member
The deprecated Goodyear GS-D3 is a great tire if you can afford it and find it anymore. Though the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric which replaces the GS-D3 is even better in the dry (sacrifices some wet performance). Unfortunately, the Asymmetric is not made in our tire size yet.

The best alternative that know of for a daily driver, considering price and performance is the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. I replaced my GS-D3's with the Sessanta's and performance is comparable for about a little over half the cost. Discount Tire can order any tire you want. I got my Sessanta's through AFS Wheels. Tires are probably the most important part you are buying for your car as it's the only thing that actually touches the road (unless something very bad happens).

Users who are viewing this thread