tires for track need help

AtlanticCobra98

Ummm Yeah!!!!
Established Member
i have a set of mt et streets 26x15x10.5 on cheap black steel rims.. is there some where i can get a set of cheap black set of skinnies for the front. What size should i run.. These will only be for track purposes only so i dont care if they are pretty. Just not looking to spend alot. The 18s i have on now are too heavy. thanks

98_snake_bite

Established Member
I have a set of cobra spare wheels with motorcycle tires mounted for sale if you are interested.

255970.jpg

255971.jpg

98_snake_bite

Established Member
Tech never said anything to me at the 2 tracks I run at. If they were the stock temporary spare tires, it would be a different story.

I'm looking for $200 + shipping.

Here is a video of me using them at the track.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgosvAgNL4]YouTube - 98 Cobra launch 2[/ame]

Toasty

Established Member
Interesting. I suppose as long as the tire is a speed rated tire its ok.

I wonder if ford puts a reasonable amount of strength/design into those rims given that they arent supposed to run faster than 40-50mph. My first concern would be the quality of the steel and the spot welds that hold the rim center to the rim outer.

98_snake_bite

Established Member
Interesting. I suppose as long as the tire is a speed rated tire its ok.

I wonder if ford puts a reasonable amount of strength/design into those rims given that they arent supposed to run faster than 40-50mph. My first concern would be the quality of the steel and the spot welds that hold the rim center to the rim outer.

These are aluminum not steel.

Toasty

Established Member
These are aluminum not steel.

My *personal* $0.02.

Steel or alum, the strength/design concern is still the same.

Some engineer or engineers at Ford were told 'design a spare tire rim for the following parameters that will have the lowest possible per unit cost'. One of those parameters was *likely* (but not for certain) a max speed of 40-50mph. Engineers usually build a safety factor of at least 2x stronger than requirements state when there are no specific requirements so that engineer 'rule of thumb' would give you a rim good for 80-100mph.

The aluminum and design they made might be good for 300mph, and it might be good for 80-100. Who knows? I'd rather be safe than sorry going through the traps so I think I'd stick to a properly engineered rim for skinnies and drag racing.

***IMO***

Users who are viewing this thread