Tires for 2011 GT500 Daily Driver

finally03gt

Established Member
I have a 2011 GT500 NON-SVPP, that I bought in July with new tires on it. It has P-zeros out back and P-zero Neros on the front. While doing an oil change I noticed the inside edges of the fronts are toast. So now I need an alignment and new fronts. I did notice when I got it, that the front seems to push a bit in the corners and depending on road surface it can be noisy.

SO, opinions on a good daily driver tire on stock rims. I live in the Houston area, so winter is more mild, and I plan to step up to the 265/40 19. I plan to put about 10k/yr on it, and don't want more noise than necessary. What do you guys think?

finally03gt

Established Member
Reading several other threads, seems like many ppl are going 255 or 275, not many 265, and the tire selection is crap for 265. What's the opinions on 275 front, adverse affects. Looking at Mich PSS 275's $290 at discount.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I heard great things about the Michelin pilot super sports. Are you tracking the car at all or drag? If so you may want to go to Nitto 555r...good luck!

finally03gt

Established Member
I'd like to THINK a road course once in a blue moon, but probably not, and 1/4 not often enough to buy tires for that purpose. Also only doing fronts now. I think its between Cont DW or Nitto Invo, but for the price diff, I'm leaning MPSS. Curious for any experience based feed back and info on going 275. 265's are $375 compared to $290 for 275's, go figure.

Kenneth

Established Member
I run the Falken 452's on the front 275/40/19
Car is a daily driver, tires have been pretty good so far (about 10K miles on them at this time)

Nitto 555R's out back 305/35/20

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I'd recommend the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's (especially for the fronts). They've got great tread life, do well in the rain, do not get loud as they wear and are quite affordable....And they've got more than enough grip for the fronts....

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I'd like to THINK a road course once in a blue moon, but probably not, and 1/4 not often enough to buy tires for that purpose. Also only doing fronts now. I think its between Cont DW or Nitto Invo, but for the price diff, I'm leaning MPSS. Curious for any experience based feed back and info on going 275. 265's are $375 compared to $290 for 275's, go figure.

I have the Conti Extreme DWs and like them a ton.

bj

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Best all season tire I have run is the continental dws, can't beat a 50k mile tread wear rating. For drag or road course you will need something else. No tire does it all, closest I have come is the kuhmo ecsta xs but they don't like the cold as much as the dws.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Khumo Ecsta on the rears and Dunlop sports on the fronts. I love the way the Khumo's look and grip in the rain and warm weather, hasn't really gotten cold yet but I'll find out how they do shortly. The Dunlop's are nice as well, but I won't be getting them again.

finally03gt

Established Member
Thanks for the feed back guys.

How about the step up to 275's? And is anyone else chewing tires on the inside edge. Couple of threads talk about negative camber being inherit on these cars.

Last edited:

TXRickC

Established Member
I just put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the OE SVTPP sizes. Upsizing front to 275 was a little cheaper but not in stock like the 265 while going to a 295/35 in the rear was $85more per side over the 285/35. I have not driven with the MPSS' yet, maybe tomorrow.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I have the Conti Extreme DWs and like them a ton.

bj

Me too. ...

Me three. It's a decent enough tire. Hasn't gotten noisy as it wears, which is surprising because some Continentals can be deafening when they wear down. I wanted Nitto Invo or Toyo Proxis T1, but ended up getting the Continental Extreme Contact DW. Very lightweight tire. Sticks really well when heated up. Not so much when cold, but they don't snap out from under me. Still no good for off the line traction. They don't squeal so much as scrub at the limit. They don't really make much noise when "peeling out" and they have very little smoke if you try to do a burnout. They just haze.

I'd buy them again if I had to. However, I'm going to try either the Invo, Proxis T1, or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup when it's time for new tires.

How about the step up to 275's? And is anyone else chewing tires on the inside edge. Couple of threads talk about negative camber being inherit on these cars.

Yes. When I first lowered mine, I chewed up a perfectly good set of fronts in about 400 miles. Way too much negative camber. Got a couple of alignments done, but still chewing through the inner edges of these Conti Extreme Contact DWs. I have some camber bolts installed, but apparently the professional mechanics haven't a clue how they work because there was always still some clearly visible negative camber. I finally adjusted them myself by eye (don't shoot!) to get the tires standing up more straight. The tires are sitting more flat on the road surface now. I could probably straighten them up just a little bit more. I haven't put enough miles on it yet to see if the wear has gotten better. The steering seems to have gotten a little more responsive, but it probably won't hook a corner quite as well now. Will have to hit some curvy roads to know for sure.

Last edited:

Fangzzz

Nitto Invos...front 275-35-19 and 295-35-20 in back. Very quiet..around $975 so quite bit less than the Michelins..tread pattern may not be to everyone's taste but I am ok with it

finally03gt

Established Member
Almost set on the mpss. trying to decide if it's worth $60-$100 for a 265 over a 275. Probably going with the 275. More rubber, less cost. Now just to get the camber more positive.

slowbra1

Established Member

My car wastes the inside fronts, I love the Michelins Pilot SS tires, I have great luck with Sumitomos HTRZ 3's.

The stock Goodyears are complete junk and IMHO dangerous in colder temps.

nickf2005

Established Member
I just put in the MPSS on my base wheels. 265 up front because I got a great deal and 285 direct from Discount Tire.

I only drove around about 10 miles, but what a world of difference over the GY. I had a set of used Invo on the rear too, and I think the MPSS is a bit better than those. Once I got them warm, I would pedal a bit in first and then they would hook in 2nd. MUCH better ride quality as well.

As for the 275/265 comparison, I'm not really sure what that will do for you. I think the 275 is going to have a negative on the steering feel going down the road. The fatter tire is going to follow more grooving.

Good luck. I spent 4 months debating tires.

Users who are viewing this thread