Tires: Drag Radials vs Stiff Wall Slicks

dazwelding

Established Member
I have done my research and I am down to my final decision between radials and stiff slicks. I have no class restrictions where I race, I will only be running in bracket classes. My car is NA with minor power adders. I will be purchasing skinnies for the front also.

My only question is this: would anyone actually recommend the radials over the stiff slicks for the Boss 302? If so, why? For example, any driveline parts that cannot handle the slicks?
I cannot seem to find anyone discouraging the use of stiff slicks on the Boss 302.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
If anything the slicks are easier on parts. The sidewall absorbs some of the shock from launching and shifting.

svt1111

Established Member
I'd just go with a 26-11.50-16 ET Stree Bias Ply. My car went 1.63's with these and skinnies.

Bone stock suspension. And it was consistent and easy to drive.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I would personally use drag radials because I like to drive to the track and back home without swapping tires. The slicks will most likely get you the faster ET, but I wouldn't try driving with them on the street as even the stiff sidewall slicks can be a little hairy on the street. Also as stated, the slicks do absorb some of the shock when launching a manual trans car hard. Just be aware that either tire can be hard on the stock clutch if you are doing a lot of hard launches.

BSG Boss

Established Member
I have the ET Street radials on my car but if I could do it all over I would do the ET Street bias ply and call it a day. My buddy has a 2013 GHIG with tt's on it and the slicks hooked so well he bent an axle!! The rear ends are strong but not bullet proof, plus look at getting an aluminum drive shaft as well, Shaftmasters has the only direct bolt on application right now and they run around 600. All the others require changing of the yokes and u-joints!!

dazwelding

Established Member
Thanks for all the good information!
I first considered getting M&H drag radials without skinnies and driving them to the track, but i have since decided against that plan. I always get to the track early, so I have plenty of time to swap out the wheels!
As soon as I get my income tax I am going to get the slicks and skinnies.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Really depends on how tall of a sidewall you go with. With a manual car, the bigger, the better. My track tires are Hoosier 275/60/15's mounted on Dragstars. When I do go to the strip, I will be driving there on them.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I run Drag Radials.... 17" 295/40-17 ET streets... I am 100% stock and best 60ft so far is a 1.70. The stock tires got me a best of 1.83, but they spin like crazy on the 1-2 shift. Even some on the 2-3.
Also I saw a stock Boss on 19" Drag Radials break his driveshaft at the line during a launch.... So there is always a chance of that with the stock 2 piece driveshaft.

May93

Established Member
If anything the slicks are easier on parts. The sidewall absorbs some of the shock from launching and shifting.

Drag Radials still have hard side walls. The above statement makes a good point. If your going to change them out then a set of ET streets on a steel rim would work fine.

BSG Boss

Established Member
On 285-40-18 NT555R's the best 60ft I got on them was 1.82 running a 12.12@120!!! look up blk5genss on youtube!!

Riptide

Established Member
I have had people tell me they broke more parts on slicks than radials because they can launch harder on them vs. the radials. So the shock "protection" factor gets negated by the better traction that allows a harder launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Unrealford

Established Member
On 285-40-18 NT555R's the best 60ft I got on them was 1.82 running a 12.12@120!!! look up blk5genss on youtube!!

I'm running MT ET street drag radials.

1.65 60ft is best

11.92 1/4 stock on Drag Radials is my best..

YouTube username MustangNthusiest

mtrsprt

Established Member
I'm running MT ET street drag radials.

1.65 60ft is best

11.92 1/4 stock on Drag Radials is my best..

YouTube username MustangNthusiest
What size?

The taller the tire in a drag radial, the better they will do on a manual car.

mtrsprt

Established Member
I'm running 275/60/15 on Darkstars (RaceStar)
Fixed.

Yeah. A 275/60/15 will hook up far harder to a 285/40/18. Two totally different foot prints and energy release.

I have that same Dark star setup in my bedroom. Waited to be mounted up. I had the matching 17" fronts, and sold them. Now I wish I had them again.

dazwelding

Established Member
Unrealford & mtrsprt, are you guys running the 15 x 10 w/ sway bar relocation or 15 x 8 w/o relocation?

Unrealford

Established Member
I'm running 15x10s.
Also using relocation brackets with mild modding, They don't fit the Boss because the sway bar is much larger in diameter. I had to grind the sway bar.

Unrealford

Established Member
They cause sway bar to JUST touch the shock mount. With just. 030 or 1/32 flat ground on side of sway bar it clears fine.
2012-03-17_13-01-23_165.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread