Tired of replacing ballasts

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Has anyone here converted any of their garage fluorescent lights to LED bulbs? There are some that work with specific ballasts, but if the ballast is bad, then it is easier to get the ones where you wire around the ballast. Has anyone done this and how was your experience?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
we've done a few at work - at first they did a couple re-using an existing housing and removing the ballast but they're so cheap now we just replace them with new LED assemblies that dont use a ballast

the ballast WILL fail at some point so why not just take it out of the picture

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
we've done a few at work - at first they did a couple re-using an existing housing and removing the ballast but they're so cheap now we just replace them with new LED assemblies that dont use a ballast

the ballast WILL fail at some point so why not just take it out of the picture
This all day. That's what I did in my garage when I redid it a few years back.
Floor 3.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I got tired of replacing bad ballasts and started converting our warehouse to LED this year. I wish I did it sooner.

View attachment 1792252
make sure you know the warranty and keep the receipts. We did a ton of them at work and they ended up having to replace a few under warranty when we got up in the 3-5 year range. We started writing the purchase and replacement dates on them to keep track.

Blown 89

Established Member
make sure you know the warranty and keep the receipts. We did a ton of them at work and they ended up having to replace a few under warranty when we got up in the 3-5 year range. We started writing the purchase and replacement dates on them to keep track.
I bought them on Aliexpress for $20 each. I'm more concerned about them burning the warehouse down than I am a warranty.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have changed at least a dozen 6' T12 fixtures. I got Hyperikon 6' frosted lamps off Amazon.

All you have to do is take out the ballasts, and connect the hot to one side of the fixture, and common to the other. The lamp works off line voltage. The manufacturer suggests the frosted lens, if its not a "high bay" application. A little less light output, but more diffuse. I liked the results so much I got more 6' fixtures, and removed brand new ballasts.

Just be sure you know what style of pin you have on the tube, and fixture.

olympic

Established Member
I used the 4' frosted Hyperikon tubes off Amazon as well, very happy with them. I removed the ballasts and had to replace half of the tombstones and rewire the fixtures because the tubes I bought were single ended power. 80+ tubes @ 2000lm each it's like daylight now...lol!

20211219_232115.jpg

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Bought these for a office trailer because of the price. Qty. 4, 8 ft. LED strip lights $89 for 4 or $189 for 10. They come with a selection of plug and play cords to arrange many conceivable ways, they just chain together with pre-made plugs. I use these every day at work, they make NO noises and are very bright, also give great light.

Screenshot_20230502-051424_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
We are doing this at work now. We cut the ballast out and did what specracer said. Easy to do and no doubt brighter and no more hassle with ballast burning out.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I went ahead and bought enough to replace my fixtures with 4' bulbs. I will be eliminating the ballast. Now I have to find some 8' LEDs that do not cost an arm and a leg. I only need 4 of them because I have two fixtures with 8' bulbs (double).

TORQUERULES

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread