Tire questions for my 2013 Shelby GT500. I'm currently running Nitto NT555 G2s with 285/35ZR20s in the back. Have the 265s up front.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
For a high powered muscle car / sport touring / street car: Nitto NT555G2 in front, NT555RII in rear. I would not put RIIs in the rear of a handling car; you can tell that the sidewall is not as firm as a similar sized Michelin, but mine haven't tried to kill me yet. I have had butt puckering moments with NT05Rs while performing abrupt lane changes at freeway speeds.

The Nitto RIIs provide noticeably more grip on the street than the NT05Rs that they replaced at the same tire pressures; I have run both on my car between 680-730whp. They also aren't terrible in the rain when new. I got stuck in traffic in Myrtle Beach during a downpour and had no loss of traction while driving appropriately for the conditions. Also, no cracking or ill effects from 40-50*F winter garage storage, but I do not drive my car in temps below 50*F.

View attachment 1826106
This is very helpful, thanks.

With the Nitto RIIs, any similar issues with abrupt lane changes at freeway speeds?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
With the Nitto RIIs, any similar issues with abrupt lane changes at freeway speeds?
I don’t intentionally try it but haven’t had any stability issues with the RIIs aired up to 30psi. If you stick with a XXX/35RXX profile sidewall or smaller, I think you would be pleased with their performance on the street.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
First of all them 555 G2's are NOT for the rears those are for the fronts. I tried the Toyo's as well. Pretty decent but fukn LOUD and annoying AF. U need to address ur wheel hop with suspension mods before u do anything imo.

555R2 is what I had on my Trackhawk with 20's. I have 17's as well. I had them on my Hellcat Redeye as well and TBH they weren't very good at the power level I was at which was nothing to write home about. My Mustang has Pro radials.

I was making 880 whp with the Redeye but had to switch to a 17 inch to run the Street R. I spun REALLY bad with the 555R2's. And I had every single known billet suspension part u can buy PLUS KW4 Coilovers.

At 650 whp they should hook well with the 555R2 but the MT SS will hook better.

The 555R2 worked BETTER than any other 20 inch tire till I tried the MT SS which is WAY sticker but simply wont last as long. But if u dont drive ur car that often and looking for the best TRACTION with a 20 inch rim the MT SS wins hands down. Ive tried them all this works best fact!

There is no better hooking tire than the MT Pro Radial tho. THAT is what I needed on my Redeye but that would have required a 15 inch setup cause the Pro Radial is only available in a 15 inch. Ive since sold the Redeye its was just too dam heavy for RWD I mean cmon 4500 lbs smfh......

My Trackhawk runs 20 inch MT SS up front and 17 inch MT Street R's in the rear with a 315/50 17.

But to be honest with u I have the Contential Extreme Contact 02's on my 700 hp Golf R (Before the RS3 swap). They hook up dam near just as well as the MT SS's but u can run these in the RAIN no problem.

In fact, these hooked up WAAAYYYYY better than the Nitto 555R2's and worked better in the rain than my PS4's. THAT is another tire I would seriously consider I would say its the very best all around tire ive ever used.

Last edited:

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
What is the best psi to run at for traction on the street on my current tires?

I know the warmer it is the better the traction.

It was pretty warm on Monday, got up to 72, and when I went out for a drive it was still around 63-64.

Had my rear tires down to about 25psi but still was struggling with traction.

Do I need to go lower? I've been researching on these sites and YouTube and some people go down to 15psi or so? Is that safe?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, thanks!

No safety issues?

I'm not going to be launching over and over again like at the track. Just want to be able to take off without spinning them.

I drop to 15 when I am going to race and back to 25 when cruising around. I keep a handheld inflator in the trunk.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Only issue with MT SS are they can be hard to balance. I know mine eventually gave me a vibration at highway speeds. I just picked up a pair of 305/35 18 555R2 to try this year.
PXL_20240302_233339660.jpg

PXL_20240302_233134535.jpg

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Only issue with MT SS are they can be hard to balance. I know mine eventually gave me a vibration at highway speeds. I just picked up a pair of 305/35 18 555R2 to try this year. View attachment 1831497

View attachment 1831496
I hope to pick up a set of those this summer. Will most likely go with the 295/35 20 because I'm a little leery about the 305s on a 9.5" wheel.

97svt/01saleen

Established Member
What is the best psi to run at for traction on the street on my current tires?

I know the warmer it is the better the traction.

It was pretty warm on Monday, got up to 72, and when I went out for a drive it was still around 63-64.

Had my rear tires down to about 25psi but still was struggling with traction.

Do I need to go lower? I've been researching on these sites and YouTube and some people go down to 15psi or so? Is that safe?
Are you talking about with the regular Nitto 555 G2?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I hope to pick up a set of those this summer. Will most likely go with the 295/35 20 because I'm a little leery about the 305s on a 9.5" wheel.

I ran 305 nittos on my hellcat, which is a 9.5 wheel. They bulged a little but I thought they looked cool. Hook just fine at 720 whp. Tip your tire guy if you go this route, they are PIA to get on.

97svt/01saleen

Established Member
Honestly I probably wouldn't air those down. I don't think they will hook regardless and they have a much stiffer sidewall than the drag radial. I would just wait until you put a DR on and then air them down little by little until you find something that hooks for your normal use. Also with it still being early March, unless y'all have had a lot of rain lately, I would assume y'alls roads are still covered in a bunch of mess (salt ect).

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly I probably wouldn't air those down. I don't think they will hook regardless and they have a much stiffer sidewall than the drag radial. I would just wait until you put a DR on and then air them down little by little until you find something that hooks for your normal use. Also with it still being early March, unless y'all have had a lot of rain lately, I would assume y'alls roads are still covered in a bunch of mess (salt ect).
Definitely this.
Not worth it on a regular street tire.
Get the DRs then try 25psi and go from there but I’d not recommend going lower than 20psi on the street.
-J

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Definitely this.
Not worth it on a regular street tire.
Get the DRs then try 25psi and go from there but I’d not recommend going lower than 20psi on the street.
-J
Well, I decided on the Nitto NT555 RIIs for the rear. 305/35 R20s. Tried to order them on Discount Tire but they refuse to mount them because they said they're too big for the stock 9.5" rim.

Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread