Tire questions for my 2013 Shelby GT500. I'm currently running Nitto NT555 G2s with 285/35ZR20s in the back. Have the 265s up front.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I cannot get traction. I know with this much power (648 RWHP) I'm going to struggle anyway, but it seems like even in 2nd gear I'm struggling to get traction.

The tires are practically brand new, so I'm not excited about spending money on 4 more new tires, so could I simply swap out the rears for the Nitto NT555 drag radials? If so, what size?

Or am I simply throwing money away trying to get better traction with tires and should I upgrade the stock suspension to better put the power down?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
could I simply swap out the rears for the Nitto NT555 drag radials?

yes.

If so, what size?

305s or 295s. You might get a little bulge with 305s.

Or am I simply throwing money away trying to get better traction with tires

No. Night and day difference between these and 285 G2s.

should I upgrade the stock suspension to better put the power down?

You should be fine on DRs.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I cannot get traction. I know with this much power (648 RWHP) I'm going to struggle anyway, but it seems like even in 2nd gear I'm struggling to get traction.

The tires are practically brand new, so I'm not excited about spending money on 4 more new tires, so could I simply swap out the rears for the Nitto NT555 drag radials? If so, what size?

Or am I simply throwing money away trying to get better traction with tires and should I upgrade the stock suspension to better put the power down?
To confirm, you're looking for traction from a 648 RWHP GT500 in Detroit in the winter?

What practically brand new tires are you running? In what road and weather conditions are you looking for traction? No insult intended but, how well-versed are you in winter driving and modulating right pedal input?

Suspension upgrades will definitely help.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Just get a set of 315/35R20 Nitto 555R2 drag radials, they fit perfect on stock wheels, I've ran them numerous times on all my GT500s.
Screenshot_20240122_085211_Gallery.jpg

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
To confirm, you're looking for traction from a 648 RWHP GT500 in Detroit in the winter?

What practically brand new tires are you running? In what road and weather conditions are you looking for traction? No insult intended but, how well-versed are you in winter driving and modulating right pedal input?

Suspension upgrades will definitely help.
No, I'm getting anxious for spring/summer. I don't drive it in the winter.

I'm running Nitto NT555G2s all around.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I didn’t know we could fit 315’s on stock wheels? I’ve got the track pack wheels.
Base and Performance Pack wheels are identical in configuration. Differences are appearance only.

I'm not arguing with Steve's results but, with all due respect, I wouldn't run that large a tire on our stock (9.5") wheels. According to Nitto, the tire is designed for a 10.5"-12.5" wheel.
Capture.JPG

No, I'm getting anxious for spring/summer. I don't drive it in the winter.

I'm running Nitto NT555G2s all around.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

You might improve your situation with different tires (e.g., NT555 RII, Toyo Proxes R888, etc), but suspension upgrades are likely to yield the greatest benefits.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Base and Performance Pack wheels are identical in configuration. Differences are appearance only.

I'm not arguing with Steve's results but, with all due respect, I wouldn't run that large a tire on our stock (9.5") wheels. According to Nitto, the tire is designed for a 10.5"-12.5" wheel.
View attachment 1825915

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

You might improve your situation with different tires (e.g., NT555 RII, Toyo Proxes R888, etc), but suspension upgrades are likely to yield the greatest benefits.
Going to ask Lidio what his thoughts are.

I'm going to have him put in a new rear end in the spring and based on peoples recommendations here, going with 3.73s.

I'm also now itching for more horsepower, after saying to myself that 650 to the rear wheels is enough. I'm thinking I may want to get to 700 at the wheels, but of course, where does it end? LOL!

That's the fun of it!

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Thanks.

Would I need to replace my front tires though?

I know the Nitto drag radials can be used with my existing Nitto NT555s up front.
Nope. You can run whatever you wish on the front.
Have you ever ran a drag radial? They do hook well for dry straight line traction. I’ve got them on one of my cars. The drawback is they are deadly slick on the wet. Also I found them to be a bad choice if you do any fast or even semi-fast cornering.
The Toyo has the best of both worlds. They hook & also let you corner like it’s on rails.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member

Wider...........the better......Its not always about the size of the rubber........its how you lay it down.......;).

20230528_155503.jpg

Last edited:

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Nope. You can run whatever you wish on the front.
Have you ever ran a drag radial? They do hook well for dry straight line traction. I’ve got them on one of my cars. The drawback is they are deadly slick on the wet. Also I found them to be a bad choice if you do any fast or even semi-fast cornering.
The Toyo has the best of both worlds. They hook & also let you corner like it’s on rails.
Good to know and thanks!

Other than by accident, I'll never be out in the rain.

I'll definitely check out the Toyo.

Users who are viewing this thread