Tire Poll - All help/suggestions are welcome!

Which Tire for stock size on stock rims?

• Total voters

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
I need tires on my 01 vert. Since I can't get SO-2 Poles anymore, I've narrowed it down to three choices.

I will track the car on occasion, and will auto-X a few times. Mileage is not that important (less than 3000 miles on my NSX w/ OS-2's, slightly more on my S2000 with the same tire) BUT like everyone else, I want it all! I'd like to see 15,000 or so...

I don't plan to drive the car in the rain, but just like being on the Road King, you never know...

There's a lot of knowledge in this forum, and I appreciate any you can spare...

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
the s03 are nice, but they have to be warmed up b4 they stop vibrating, and they also seem a little wider then other tires

green99_svt

Established Member
i have toyo proxes t1-s and they are sweet. if mileage is no issue the toyo ra-1 are hard to beat as they are a dot race tire.

BornSvtCrazy

Established Member
For what its wroth when i had my srt-4 i put so-3 on it and i got 1.9 60s vs. 2.4 60s foot times i got with the stock tires.. And damn they can take a cuvre..

wrenchturner

Established Member
I used to have the F1-D3's and i loved them.. its a sticky assed tire awesome for road courses and handling.. I have a set of the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD II and they are sticky as well but seem a little easier to break free on the rear.. but i also went from a 275-40-17 F1-D3 to 295-265 /35-18 KD II's so the rim size change might explain the easier spinning.... either is awesome IMO though...

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
I run Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, 245/45/17. Very sticky tire, excellent handling, but absolutely loud and uncomfortable as hell. But, that is with any low profile ultra high performance tire.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I have the F1 GSD3's in a 285/40/17 on the rear of mine and I wouldn't say they are sticky or noisy. They are no noisier than the stock BFG Comp TA's I had before, but they do seem to grip better. That may be due to the fact that they are 40mm wider too.
99Cobra#2468 said:
I run Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, 245/45/17. Very sticky tire, excellent handling, but absolutely loud and uncomfortable as hell. But, that is with any low profile ultra high performance tire.

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
Thanks for all the info...I'm still not sure...Another question - on the stock rims can I go up in size (width) and how much without rubbing/scraping issues?

anaxagoras

Established Member
i know this is off topic since you already narrowed your choices down, but i really like the Michelon Pilot Sport PS2 tires a lot.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
I voted BFG, but are you thinking about upgrading rims soon...? because if not go for the KDW, they're a tad bit cheaper, will last longer, and you can get them in new style tread which a lot of people like...I run KDW's up front but have had them on all four corners...never convince me to switch tires after my experience with BFG...A++++

The KDW's are a great choice...think about it...the KD's are awesome you'll just see a bit more wear...

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
I voted BFG, but are you thinking about upgrading rims soon...? because if not go for the KDW, they're a tad bit cheaper, will last longer, and you can get them in new style tread which a lot of people like...I run KDW's up front but have had them on all four corners...never convince me to switch tires after my experience with BFG...A++++

The KDW's are a great choice...think about it...the KD's are awesome you'll just see a bit more wear...

+1 on the KDWS. I have the new ones you're refering to I think, the ones w/ the "flaming" tread pattern. They are a tad bit cheaper than most I've seen on www.tirerack.com.

They seem to handle really well in the dry and wet also. I haven't tracked mine yet but I plan to in the future and I've heard positive things so far from other people who have them.

BTW, I have 275/35 & 295/35 on 18x9.5 00R rims.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
+1 on the KDWS. I have the new ones you're refering to I think, the ones w/ the "flaming" tread pattern. They are a tad bit cheaper than most I've seen on www.tirerack.com.

They seem to handle really well in the dry and wet also. I haven't tracked mine yet but I plan to in the future and I've heard positive things so far from other people who have them.

BTW, I have 275/35 & 295/35 on 18x9.5 00R rims.

yeah they're great...we almost have the same wheel/tire combo...how you like them...that 275 on front has to stick out a little huh...? post a pic I'sd like to see your ride

Hepcat007

Established Member
I have the GS-D3's and am not too happy with them. I have 285's out back and have absoltely no traction until 3rd. The only upside is that they seem to be prety durable. At this point i wish i would have gotten 555 R's.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
yeah they're great...we almost have the same wheel/tire combo...how you like them...that 275 on front has to stick out a little huh...? post a pic I'sd like to see your ride

Yep the 275's do stick out in front but I've come to believe it's actually the 9.5 rims that make it look that way. Have you noticed that most of the assymetrical rim sets for these cars are 9" x 10.5". At first I thought the front track was wider than the rear track nut it turns out they are exactly the same. I have a feeling that the 00R Cobra was a tad bit wider in the front fenders to accomodate this little quirk. I'm considering a set of MM 1/2" spacers for the rear to even it out a bit but I'm a little skeptical about having the rear wheel stud threads only 3/4 engaged.

Overall I really like the KDW tires. They ride well and they aren't particularly loud ( at least not that I can hear over the exhaust ) and the grip is very good so far. They thing that I have noticed is that since I still have the stock suspension on the car, these wheels and tires have really highlited how mushy the stock suspension can be. I have a buch of suspension mods waiting in the garage to go on the car but I just haven't found the time yet.

BTW, have you tracked your car at Road America since you are in Wisconsin? That is one of my all time goals!

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Pole Positions .... I have run mine on both AutoX and Road Course at speed and they do handle!!! I have run the shit out of them and they still have some tread left. Best tire I have ever bought ...

Users who are viewing this thread