tire height question

benzopyrene

Established Member
Hey guys! Im new to the forum but have been lurking quite a while. I have been considering a set of 20x 9 up front and 20x11 in the back staggered set up on my 2011 GT. I had originally intended to put some michelin SS 275 35r20 in front with 315 35r20 in back. When I discussed this with the guy at discount tire he said he didn't recommend it because the rear tire would be an inch taller than the front. Anybody else running this setup out of curiosity? Am I going to have any issues with speedometer or tpms causing lights to come on in the vehicle? This is my daily driver. Anyway, thanks for the help guys, I just haven't been able to find the answer yet. Cheers!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I'm running a very similar setup, don't seem to have any problems. Wish we would have some more options for a 315/30/20 tire, that would be the perfect size!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
There won't be any problems other than 1) Can only rotate tires side to side, and not corner rotate, 2) speedo will need to be adjusted with the new revs/mile value so the speed is displayed correctly. Handling characteristics will be off a little bit from having a square setup, but by the sound of your tire sizing, corners aren't your main focus.

GT915

Established Member
That size setup on the rear will be nearly 1.5 inches taller than what is stock. I have got to think that will have a negative impact on final drive ratio and would result in slower acceleration. Also if the combo you select is a lot heavier than stock, I would think that would compound the issue. I'd be interested to know if others that have this setup noticed a difference.

benzopyrene

Established Member
The setup according to tire rack I believe is 1.1 inches taller back to front. I meant to ask if anybody has had any ABS light issues as well? I plan on getting some CF10s and weight wise the front will be lighter and the back will be about the same weight as stock. Have already rebuilt the rear, next will be the driveline, and then the motor....so, hopefully decreased acceleration wont be to much of an issue in the long run. Thanks for the responses guys, just wanted to get some input. Out of curiosity why is handling worse with more rubber on the ground? Is it just an oversteer/understeer thing or is it more complicated than that. Cheers!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
1.5 inches won't have a negative impact on accel. Hardly noticeable. Heavier wheels would make more of a difference. I added 0.7" of rear tire to mine. I went from 3.55 to 3.52. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread