Tire Chains on IRS Swapped Mustangs and 99-04 Cobra

IveGotTheBlues

Yes..That is me
Established Member
I know that in the owners manual of an 03 cobra, it states to not put tire chains on the car because of the IRS.

Will this matter if the rear tires have spacers? Or will it still get tangled? A friend of mine is on the road now and like an idiot, he decided to drive his Cobra in some snowy weather not knowing he couldn't put chains on his car.

But, since he has spacers maybe it's possible? Any input would help. He has about 40 mins till he reaches chain control. LOL

IveGotTheBlues

Yes..That is me
Established Member
whats it matter if it has IRS or not?

Because apparently it gets caught on the IRS bolt or something. I forgot exactly why the manual said to not use chains ont he IRS...

That's why I want to know if anyone has used them with spacers.. I know that most people don't drive their Cobra's in this kind of weather but he was kinda desperate I guess.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I think it's a bad idea, chains that is. Look under there and see for yourself how much room there is between the inner side wall and the rear IRS mounting bolt, it's not much with the 9" stock wheels and 275s.

If he has spacers, does also have a 10.5 rim??? If so it is very likely that those chains would hit and tear the whole quarter wheel opening up as they broke and spun. Terminator owners who do navigate snowy roads almost all have a winter set of wheels and dedicated true snow tires.... NOT CHAINS.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I think it's a bad idea, chains that is. Look under there and see for yourself how much room there is between the inner side wall and the rear IRS mounting bolt, it's not much with the 9" stock wheels and 275s.

If he has spacers, does also have a 10.5 rim??? If so it is very likely that those chains would hit and tear the whole quarter wheel opening up as they broke and spun. Terminator owners who do navigate snowy roads almost all have a winter set of wheels and dedicated true snow tires.... NOT CHAINS.

Snow tires won't equal chains.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I use snow tires in winter, but also carry cable chains, just in case.
I've only had to use them once and that was to get out of a 2 foot deep covered unplowed snow filled parking lot which had a one inch layer of ice under it. The rear snow tires could not get enough traction due to the deep snow combined with the ice (I hate Chicago weather). I drove only a mile until I was clear of all that crap and then the chains came off. I never exceeded 25 mph.

Cable chains fit fine over 245 series tires, but I would not want to try them on 275's. Also, I would NEVER use actual snow chains. Cable chains only and of course only use them on the rear tires.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
It's March. It was 85 degrees today in Northern NY state. Where might your friend be that he needs snow chains? Siberia? If he's going into snowy territory he should not drive his car. Take the bus or get a 4x4. If he insists, then tell him to get a set of studded snow tires. The chains will just do what Jimmysidecarr said.. tear the crap out of the wheelwell.. There isn't much room in there.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
how is it that your friend has lived this long without darwin claiming him??

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Snow tires won't equal chains.

Then maybe he shouldn't be driving in the snow?

I have used studded snow tires on mine for 5 years in Montana winters and it did just fine. I never had a problem with it. I know my car isn't putting down the same power as a Cobra, however it's still hard to drive in the snow without snow tires.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
It's March. It was 85 degrees today in Northern NY state. Where might your friend be that he needs snow chains? Siberia? If he's going into snowy territory he should not drive his car. Take the bus or get a 4x4. If he insists, then tell him to get a set of studded snow tires. The chains will just do what Jimmysidecarr said.. tear the crap out of the wheelwell.. There isn't much room in there.

It snows in Montana until mid-May or even longer some years...just FYI.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
IIRAICE3.jpg

IIRAICE1.jpg

DaveBurnham2004.jpg

LOL! Terminator = NOT the perfect ice racer.

Black Sex

Established Member
IMO I would NOT put chains on any car and drive down the highway. Stay home or go around the weather. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread