Tips for cleaning clear plastic gauge cover

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Found this to also be an issue on my old 04 cobra. Is there a method/product to use for cleaning the clear plastic (round on the shelby) that covers the speedo and tach, which won't lead to scratching? I find just using a microfiber cloth to remove dust ends up leaving a "smeared" look, but I remember being super gentle with a damp cloth on my cobra still led to fine scratches/swirls.

Anyone got a way to clean these suckers while not scratching?

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Very very high quality microfiber towel and glass cleaner

Edit something like this

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-Quick-Detail-Microfiber-Towel_p_573.html

Use this on my 02 gauges and radio. Also another thing that scratches easily in the new ones

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I don't have access to compressed air, and the plastic appears to have a few smears/smudges that I'd like to clean.

So is very high quality microfiber and cleaning fluid the only option?

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I don't have access to compressed air, and the plastic appears to have a few smears/smudges that I'd like to clean.

So is very high quality microfiber and cleaning fluid the only option?

That's the only thing I know that doesn't scratch them. Ive worked at Ford and Chevy dealers and that's the only thing that I know of. I'd love to know if somebody else has another way I'd love to hear it

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

46-062

Established Member
microfiber is So Overrated, that stuff will scratch, don't use em on the headlight lenses either..

What? A microfiber towel WILL NOT scratch plastic headlights unless you drop it first in dirt and gravel. What in the heck gave you that idea? If you managed to scratch your headlights let alone your clear plastic IP cover, you need training on the use of a towel.

If you meant the two Meguiar's products don't work on the IP cover, you don't know what you're doing. I hate reading posts that are so poorly worded, it's anybody's guess as to what the author intended to say.

Do microfiber towels scratch? Do the Meguiar's products scratch? Don't use microfibers or Meguiar's 17 & 10 on headlights?

How the heck do you communicate with people at your job?

Last edited:

redrocket16

Established Member
A good quality microfiber and then a good detail spray would be best. If you need to try and get scratches out it can be tough but some brands of quality hand polishes via a microfiber can work too. I've had luck with that combo before.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
microfiber is So Overrated, that stuff will scratch, don't use em on the headlight lenses either..

Dude are you high?

What? A microfiber towel WILL NOT scratch plastic headlights unless you drop it first in dirt and gravel. What in the heck gave you that idea? If you managed to scratch your headlights let alone your clear plastic IP cover, you need training on the use of a towel.

If you meant the two Meguiar's products don't work on the IP cover, you don't know what you're doing. I hate reading posts that are so poorly worded, it's anybody's guess as to what the author intended to say.

Do microfiber towels scratch? Do the Meguiar's products scratch? Don't use microfibers or Meguiar's 17 & 10 on headlights?

How the heck do you communicate with people at your job?

Don't use a polisher or buffer either might just turn out like you just used sandpaper on it!! :p

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Chewy

Established Member
I'd use a damp Micro Fiber and gently wipe the lense. Then, use a mild polish with a very soft applicator to hopefully remove the haziness. then, apply a sealant/wax so it leaves a soft oily barrier moving forward.

I've gone as far as removing the lense from the cluster before and polishing it with my Griot's mini DA to make things perfect. All depends on how bad it is and how good you want it. :)

And to the person who thinks MF will scratch headlights.....WTF?

Users who are viewing this thread