Timing with 76 and stock 4v

z28killer

800 RWHP WANNABE
Established Member
I have a 4v with a 76mm Hellion and auto trans. The motor is totally stock from Ford internally but has a good fuel system that will support more power than I want to make. Gas around here is 91 octane occasionally 92. I can get hot gas when needed.

My question is what timing are you guys running.I was thinking about 15 lbs of boost for every day use and 20 lbs of boost for a race tune when I have good gas. The car also has a 75 shot of N2o. I would be curious how you feel that effects the timing.

Right now the car is on 15 degrees at 13lbs of boost and 15 lbs of boost.

z28killer

800 RWHP WANNABE
Established Member
Low timing is relative. What exactly would you run in the scenarios I stated. With and with out the small shot of N2o. Also what would the safe limits be for pump gas versus race gas. Could I spray it on low boost at 15 degrees on pump gas ?

I am just asking for your guess. I certainly wouldn't hold you responsible and I realize every car is a little different.

TRBO VNM

in my opinion, low timing on these cars anything less than 20 degrees. others would say less than 22. I am not a tuner and they all have their beliefs. on my cars I like to be more on the safe side than others.

I never ran more than about 16 degrees of timing from 10# to 25# of boost. I could have, but never felt the need to. all I did was changed the fuel I used based on the boost level I was running. anything over 18# I would run race gas.

on the nitrous, I am not sure in regads to timing. I would assume you would still run 14-16 degrees, but I honestly don't know for sure since I have yet to run dual power adders.

Sharkster

Established Member
We would have run higher but Bob Kurgan kept me conservative due to being restricted with 60# injectors otherwise I think he would have bumped it more.
In what Ive learned about these cars with turbos on them you dont need a lot of timing.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

We would have run higher but Bob Kurgan kept me conservative due to being restricted with 60# injectors otherwise I think he would have bumped it more.
In what Ive learned about these cars with turbos on them you dont need a lot of timing.

+1. I know Jon Lund has tested higher timing. I just don't recall the results. i will try to remember and ask.

Users who are viewing this thread