Timing Chain Tensioner

Koval7887

Established Member
mine turned into a knock, started as a LOUD tick...only knocks when warm. when cold...my motor is SILENT...

SLOWNED

Established Member
mine is totally diff. My kinda rattles at around 2000rpm to about 2300rpm. After or before that, no rattle. And if i drive the hell out of it and get it nice and hot. The rattle begins to quiet down a little, although still noticeable. It also sounds the loudest from underneath the car, around thet transmission area, leading me to believe its probably something related to it. Ive already shelled out big bucks to have my engine torn apart and have found nothing. Ive given up and will drive it till it pops

SLOWNED

Established Member
Also another note, i can only hear the rattle at light throttle, like if i was just crusing through town with my foot barely stepping on the pedal. When i gun it, WOT with my foot to the floor, i cant hear the rattle at all. I noticed this while driving AND just sitting in my driveway in neutral.

jesusphreak

Newby For Life
Established Member
bringing back from the dead cause I have a "tick" too.

Mine does not do it when car is cold, only when car is warm, and between maybe 2200 - 3k rpms, maybe 2200 - 2800 somewhere in there. Not sure if its injectors or what, never had a motor with a tick before, guess i'm lucky.

I've read quite a few tick threads and no one elses souds like mine, where it comes only when the motor is warm.

RobReam

Mine does not do it when car is cold, only when car is warm, and between maybe 2200 - 3k rpms, maybe 2200 - 2800 somewhere in there. Not sure if its injectors or what, never had a motor with a tick before, guess i'm lucky.

I've read quite a few tick threads and no one elses souds like mine, where it comes only when the motor is warm.

I too would like to know what you found.
My buddy is working on a 98 cobra and has the same sound.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I originally thought I had a valve lash adjuster

but I replaced them all when I did my head swap..and STILL heard a little ticking noise on the passenger side....thanks to a stethoscope I have narrowed it down to cylinder 3 or possibly cylinder 2.

I did NOT change out my timing chain tensioners though...so that could be the case.

and for reference, it STARTED out as a tick that only started when I immediately started the car up and went away after a few seconds..but after a few weeks it became permanent..its not ridiculously loud..just kinda annoying to me.

RobReam

The problem was at the chain sprocket at the crank. It had just enough movement that the sound followed the chain to the head and you would of bet money that it was the head making noise.

Randall0624

have you figured out your problem mine is doing the same thing and can't figure it out

austingeorge05

I think i may have a bad timing chain tensioner on my 1997 cobra. It makes this horrible rattle at the first start up of the day then slowly dies down. However, it rattles whenever its at 2000 rpm- 2500 rpm. It doesnt rattle anytime above that powerband or below it. Does anyone have a video clip or sound clip of a bad timing chain tensioner for these cars? Id like to confirm the noise before i shell out the cash for an expensive job like this.
I'm having this same problem, but the car shuts off right after I start it. Do y'all have any ideas of what it could be?

Users who are viewing this thread