Time to trade the Terminator?

Avispa

Established Member
The 'ol Cobra is getting to be a "used car", even though it's mechanically solid and has only 70K on it. Got about all the HP out of it I can safely use, and the motor and driveline oughta hold up for another few years. It is getting a bit cosmetically challenged. I can put some money into getting stuff repainted and can replace worn out interior parts, but at some point it's still a 9 year old used car.

Was thinking about a Shelby, but would like some comments from owners about road handling, considering it has a SRA. A real issue, or should I just retire the yellow beastie and go buy one of these things and be happy?

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I would LOVE to get a '13 GT500 but they are just too expensive for me. With the '13 coming out I wouldn't want to get '12 and lower GT500's because the '13 would be the only thing on my mind. I would love a new car but my Cobra is paid off and only has 22,000 miles on it, in great shape, so I would say stick with what you have. How bad are all the problem areas on the car?

At the end of the day though, your 'gut' should tell you what you want to do. However, if you have the money to spare, go for a new GT500. What year GT500 are you thinking about getting? I'm assuming the '13 GT500 given that you posted in this section.

Last edited:

Avispa

Established Member
Snagged, the "problems" are the bumpers and rocker moldings need paint, a kick panel and sill plate need to be replaced, and I need new carpet and the driver's seat upholstered. Might cost me all of 5 or 6 grand. No mechanical problems at all. Car's making 600 to the tires.

I can easily afford a new Shelbly, but I'm a cheapskate...lol. If the performance is that much better, I may just have to go buy one. Yeah, I meant the '13

Last edited:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
The 'ol Cobra is getting to be a "used car", even though it's mechanically solid and has only 70K on it. Got about all the HP out of it I can safely use, and the motor and driveline oughta hold up for another few years. It is getting a bit cosmetically challenged. I can put some money into getting stuff repainted and can replace worn out interior parts, but at some point it's still a 9 year old used car.

Was thinking about a Shelby, but would like some comments from owners about road handling, considering it has a SRA. A real issue, or should I just retire the yellow beastie and go buy one of these things and be happy?

The new platform has a lot to say for itself. Just look at what the Boss can do and how well Ford is competing on the race circuit with the solid rear end.

The Terminator IRS was a bolt in unit and the chassis was not naturally designed for an IRS so it has its compromises also.

In the end, it is up to you, but I do not miss my 03 Terminator at all.

Time and technology have moved way beyond and even if you do not get a 13 the 12 is a mad crazy bargain…….Steve

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I had an 03 Cobra and LOVED the car. The new mustangs feel way better and the interior is alot nicer. The deals on the 2012's are hard to pass up and add a 2.9 whipple to the car and you will not be sorry!!!!!!

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Snagged, the "problems" are the bumpers and rocker moldings need paint, a kick panel and sill plate need to be replaced, and I need new carpet and the driver's seat upholstered. Might cost me all of 5 or 6 grand. No mechanical problems at all. Car's making 600 to the tires.

I can easily afford a new Shelbly, but I'm a cheapskate...lol. If the performance is that much better, I may just have to go buy one. Yeah, I meant the '13

Hmmm, if you can easily afford the '13 then I say go for it. That thing is a monster and has a lot of nice improvements, even over the '12 GT500. The rumors are the '15 Mustang is going to have an IRS, but who knows what models are going to be available that year. The IRS coming back would be the only thing making me take pause before I'll pulled the trigger on a '13 GT500. I would have a hard time spending 5k or 6k on a car you're "on the fence" about.

EDIT: I just read this article posted in Pics and Vids.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ide.com News&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13281210114174

Last edited:

AUSVT

Established Member
I've got an '03 Sonic blue cobra with only 14,500 miles on it. No way in hell will i get rid of it (it's paid off). I'm a huge terminator mustang fan and these cars will be worth even more in a few years. Look at how well they are holding their value now.

I'm keeping my '03 and buying a '13 GT500 to go with it. If you can swing both, i'd recommend keeping the '03.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
The problem I have run in to is that I would probably sell both terminators in order to keep the payment down on the GT500, but I would still have a $500+ car payment to deal with. I prefer to always have a convertible in the fleet, so I would have to swap the coupe and vert for a vert GT500.

It is hard to justify getting rid of two cars that are paid off. A Boss is probably a better fit for me, as I am a huge cheapskate.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I wouldn't trade a Terminator for anything... Hell, I won't even trade my 2011 5.0 for anything. I would figure out a way to get a new car without a trade in or I just simply wouldn't do it.

xenodragon

Established Member
There will always be the latest and greatest out there. One day the 2013 will be surpassed by something even more awesome.

Point is, do what you think will make you happy now. If the terminator isnt doing that, then make the switch.

My thoughts are drive your car for 2 more years, wait for the 2015 mustangs because im sure those will be beasts...thats at least my plan. I honestly cant stand how the new gt500 looks. The taillights are hideous, the front grill (or lack there of) is just weird looking and it looks atrocious as a convertible. I am way over the whole retro look.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well my Termi was stolen :( I would probably still have it ! If you can afford the 13, then I would keep the Termi and just buy a 13.

I got rid of my Super Shakered powered 08, I had a lot of fun it it, But my 11 reminds me of my Termi times....and I had a BLAST in that car.

04nccobra

Established Member
There is life after the Terminator especially one at 70,000 miles. I got rid of mine about a year ago and have never looked back. The only thing I miss about that car is the supercharger whine. I'd think about a leftover 12 GT500 my guess the prices will fall hard on these in a few months with the intro of the 13 you should be able to land a great deal soon.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
If you got 70k on the car, it might be cheaper to do a rebuild or just replace the engine with the Aluminator. OR.... Just hang on for another year and get the new 2015...

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I would keep it, you have a vert terminator that is a timeless machine. Spend a few bucks on the paint and stuff. Get the shelby coupe to be your monster!

lx347cid

Established Member
im in the same boat as you, my 03 Terminator is mint will 11K miles on it but am debating selling for a 2013 depending on pricing or even a 2012 at a good deal.

04nccobra

Established Member
If you got 70k on the car, it might be cheaper to do a rebuild or just replace the engine with the Aluminator. OR.... Just hang on for another year and get the new 2015...

The problem with sinking $$$ into a high mileage Cobra is you will never see any return on it. My car for instance had over 90K miles on it. The car needed paint, windshield, shocks, struts, leaking differential, clutch, brakes, etc etc. I figured close to $10,000.00 not even touching the motor. Even if I had fixed all these items the car was still limited in resale price due to the mileage. It really is a no win scenerio. To me it just made more sense to get rid of the car as is and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread