Time to buy cooling mods

NiceCobra

Established Member
Thinking about buying a bigger heat exchanger for my 2.76 pullied cobra. Do I need a bigger coolant reservoir tank with the H/E? Or will the stock tank be fine?
probably will be getting the abco heat exchanger from American muscle.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Yea the bigger intercooler tank will help along with the bigger heat exchanger

Have you ever thought of keeping the stock heat exchanger and going with a Killer Chiller? You would still need the bigger intercooler tank either way just a thought.

I have the killer chiller on my car it way more efficient than any heat exchanger you could buy....

NiceCobra

Established Member
Ok I'll look into the killer chiller also. I Only drive my car on the street so will the killer chiller be a little over kill ? I haven't done much research on them

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Ok I'll look into the killer chiller also. I Only drive my car on the street so will the killer chiller be a little over kill ? I haven't done much research on them

My car is a street car, its just way more efficient, and its just about the same money. Just you tube killer chiller and take a look at how it works.

Tractionless1

Established Member
KC is more beneficial on the street than track even as you're typically not moving enough to effectively use a HE. Mine's been in for about 6 years now.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
The bigger tank is for adding ice at track.on the street stock one is fine as it keeps most of fluid in the bigger heat exchanger not in engine bay!

TRBO VNM

Killer chiller is a great design, just wish I could support it more. So far 0-3 on success/failure rate out of the box. In the end they worked, but not without having issues to deal with and having to recharge multiple times.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Thinking about buying a bigger heat exchanger for my 2.76 pullied cobra. Do I need a bigger coolant reservoir tank with the H/E? Or will the stock tank be fine?
probably will be getting the abco heat exchanger from American muscle.

Hey - AFCO's Double Pass Heat Exchanger is definitely something I would check out considering we'll likely be in the 80's or 90's soon (Gotta love PA/NJ Weather) Bama used this along with Canton's Coolant Tank and the Canton Expansion Tank and on the 03-04's I think they're really a must if you're a spirited driver. I can see that you're well over 50 posts and I went ahead and shot you our discount code if you ever need anything from us! Let me know if you have any other questions at all and I'm here to help!

Alex

Tractionless1

Established Member
Killer chiller is a great design, just wish I could support it more. So far 0-3 on success/failure rate out of the box. In the end they worked, but not without having issues to deal with and having to recharge multiple times.

PM me with your issues, maybe I can be of service.

FWIW My IAT2's used to be in the 130-140 range with an aftermarket HE and tank. With KC ALWAYS under 100 in dead of S. Florida summer. And I don't even have the latest and greatest system.

Last edited:

NiceCobra

Established Member
Looks like I have some more research to do. I like using the stock tank just so I can make sure my pump is still working.

TRBO VNM

PM me with your issues, maybe I can be of service.

FWIW My IAT2's used to be in the 130-140 range with an aftermarket HE and tank. With KC ALWAYS under 100 in dead of S. Florida summer. And I don't even have the latest and greatest system.

They are worked out and were worked out after installs. Turned out to all be issues on Joe's end. I would normally say installer error, but they weren't. I basically won't do them anymore, but have one guy now that insists I install it for him. LOL (jackers)

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I have been happy with the performance of the KC, I too had an install issue, but Joe was quick to resolve the issue.

I would skip on a different H/E if you plan to heavily modify your cobra. maybe just a lower T-stat & CAI with the 2.76 upper

SlowSVT

Established Member
I like using the stock tank just so I can make sure my pump is still working.

Call it a "burp tank" which is pretty much what it does plus it serves as a visual reference. For the street this is what I would use. Having a large reservoir made of highly thermally conductive material sitting in a hot engine compartment seems a little counter intuitive to me. All that will do is increase the volume of coolant the HE needs to cool. With the burp tank the system will recover more quickly from heat exposure not having to cool all that volume.

Consider a Gords HE which is the largest available that will fit the stock location and is a low restriction single pass design. Seal the gaps around the HE should give you a pretty effective system.

NiceCobra

Established Member
Again thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going with the killer chiller over the h/e after the research I have done. I want my car to have the power it had in the winter all year round. Even if I do end up keeping my car upper pulley only I think it will be the best bet.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Again thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going with the killer chiller over the h/e after the research I have done. I want my car to have the power it had in the winter all year round. Even if I do end up keeping my car upper pulley only I think it will be the best bet.

The killer chiller is the best option for managing temps on the street. No questions asked. I don't have one, as I use my larger I/C tank to load ice in at the track. E-85 helps cool things down in the chamber too...

Tractionless1

Established Member
Call it a "burp tank" which is pretty much what it does plus it serves as a visual reference. For the street this is what I would use. Having a large reservoir made of highly thermally conductive material sitting in a hot engine compartment seems a little counter intuitive to me. All that will do is increase the volume of coolant the HE needs to cool. With the burp tank the system will recover more quickly from heat exposure not having to cool all that volume.

Consider a Gords HE which is the largest available that will fit the stock location and is a low restriction single pass design. Seal the gaps around the HE should give you a pretty effective system.

My 1.5 gallon reservoir located in the OE battery location is insulated and thereby protected from engine bay heat. A higher volume of fluid is beneficial to offset the amount of hot fluid coming out of the intercooler before being introduced to the KC, if you're running the KC full time. If you're doing pulls and letting the system heat up then yes the KC must catch up with more volume. The highest heat soaked, kc on full time, dead of summer IC res. temps. I've seen is in the 50's.

SlowSVT

Established Member
My 1.5 gallon reservoir located in the OE battery location is insulated and thereby protected from engine bay heat. A higher volume of fluid is beneficial to offset the amount of hot fluid coming out of the intercooler before being introduced to the KC, if you're running the KC full time. If you're doing pulls and letting the system heat up then yes the KC must catch up with more volume. The highest heat soaked, kc on full time, dead of summer IC res. temps. I've seen is in the 50's.

I was not taking the KC into account with regard to a reservoir but I think the same rules apply. If the system has excess capacity and can continually pull the coolant temp down lower and lower between boost cycles having a reservoir with excess capacity to store lots of chilled coolant makes sense. Just make sure it's well insulated because the ambient heat will be more attracted to it the cooler it gets I would start with a plastic reservoir as aluminum is an awful insulator and wrap the hell out of it. That is the only circumstance where I would consider a reservoir on a street car.

Bottom line is the coolant will be just as hot (warm, cool) leaving the reservoir as it was going into it and won't do anything to lower the system temps. On the factory HE system this is one mod I would do without. Why add the weight and take-up all that space in the engine compartment with a larger holding tank? Some of them do a good job blocking the heat extractor vents.

B-Mac

Established Member
Just called Kincaid performance and ordered my Killer Chiller. Joseph Kincaid answered the phone and WOW what a nice and helpful guy. The world can use more guys like that. I can't wait to get my KC installed.

Users who are viewing this thread