Time for a new diesel truck

Naja Haje

Established Member
My 02 Chevy 2500 HD is getting it's second set on new injectors installed as I write with less than 80k on the odometer. I'm going to trade this thing in for an 04 or 05 Dodge CTD. I don't trust my truck anymore and the Ford HD's have been having their fair share of problems with the new 6.0. Just venting :cuss:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I just got my powerstroke on friday, and I love it, even though its just a 00. The new cummins seem to be doing pretty good, but its a good motor in a bad pickup IMO. Good luck.

TnPaulMan

Banned
Dodges are decent. Just like he said above, great motor in a crappy truck. I would look around for a 7.3 Powerstroke. It will be a little older but those are the pimpshiznit.

Paul

Naja Haje

Established Member
Some of the later 7.3 powerstrokes were known to have a tick. These powerstrokes were the predecessor of the 03 Cobras ticking problem.:p

FliteQH

FOXY5OH
Established Member
Go for the Dodge... we've got an 03 2500 cummins. Special Ordered. We've had numerous trucks and I can honestly tell you that nothing hauls our horse trailer like it...

Our last truck was a 99 2500 Cummins and it was a pretty decent truck, I liked that look better than the 03. But oh well, we haven't had any problems with the 03 yet. :knock on wood:

:beer:

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
I keep putting off buying a diesel truck.

There are known potential problems with all of the engines.

You have an LB7 Dmax which was the first gen. They were known for injector problems. Many people use an aftermarket pre filter.The new LLY DMAX is supposed to be an improved design.

The new Cummins, the 600 does not seem to give the type of mileage that the older ones did. Overall it is the most reliable design.

It would seem that the Common Rail system in the newest generation of diesel trucks increases the instances of injector failure.

I wish Dodge offered a five speed auto like the Allison or Ford's Torque Shift.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by SNK BITN
Can I ask what some of you guys are towing with these powerful trucks?
car trailer, snowmobile trailer, I haul show hogs throughout different parts of the year. I will soon be pulling a modified 2wd pulling tractor next season. We have big trucks, so if it is too big and puts more stress than we like on it, we have balls, and 5th wheel balls on a couple of the trucks and it will save the pickup, and be safer.

roadracer247

Established Member
Originally posted by SNK BITN
Can I ask what some of you guys are towing with these powerful trucks?

I tow my two horses...atvs...dirtbikes...and a broken car one time...then just like crap like if your cleaning out stuff from the house and want to take it to the dump...Those kinda things...

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
get a powerstroke... the motor is comparable to the others, maybe a little less mod friendly due to the lack of air the turbo can push but you can put 425 and 850 to the wheels w/o a problem and that is enough for anyone...

but the reason i say get the stroker is because of the quality of the interior and the quality and toughness of the exterior... mine has been a farm bitch for 80k and is still going strong with no creaks, or cracks or interior noise... its a great truck...

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I work in the fleet department at a Ford dealer around a bunch of guys that sell powerstrokes all day and have dealt with many other deisels including the Dodges and Chevy's.

Here's what one guy said, the Cummins is a great motor and can tow just about anything. But if you plan on resaling it...good luck. Their resale value is the worst of Dodge, GM, and Ford.

The Chevy's and GM's are great trucks...when they run. If that says anything.

Of course they prefer the ford but with good reason. Although the 6.0's had some computer problems at first in 03', now they're proving to be great motors with PLENTY of power. And the interiors are nicer than any of the other three.

One of our courtesy van drivers goes on 6 month long nationwide road-trips and his 6.0 powerstroke has yet to give him ANY problems.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
I work in the fleet department at a Ford dealer around a bunch of guys that sell powerstrokes all day and have dealt with many other deisels including the Dodges and Chevy's.

Here's what one guy said, the Cummins is a great motor and can tow just about anything. But if you plan on resaling it...good luck. Their resale value is the worst of Dodge, GM, and Ford.

The Chevy's and GM's are great trucks...when they run. If that says anything.

Of course they prefer the ford but with good reason. Although the 6.0's had some computer problems at first in 03', now they're proving to be great motors with PLENTY of power. And the interiors are nicer than any of the other three.

One of our courtesy van drivers goes on 6 month long nationwide road-trips and his 6.0 powerstroke has yet to give him ANY problems.
In this area cummins are the best selling used pickup here. The powerstroke is 2nd, and you can't give a d-max away. If I was to sell diesels in this part of the world, it would most certainly be most cummins in my lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread